Poll: Are you Athiest or Religious?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are you Athiest or Religious?
Atheist
211 67%
Religious
104 33%
Voters: 316.
Page 1 of 5
Which one? I'm putting this here because I want to see all of the pit, not just the religion thread.

I'm personally atheist.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
religion thread?
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
Quote by acersucks
Where's Agnostic?

woops. forgot about you fence-sitters. is there some way to change the poll?
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by acersucks
Where's Agnostic?

+1

What about if you're unsure
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by acersucks
Where's Agnostic?

This.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Dude, it's not black and white, atheism is a religion IMO, personally I'm spiritual, but not subscribed to any organized religion, I guess if you twist my words I look at the earth the way christians would look at god so that would make me agnostic.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by cam_sampbell
+1

There are two definitions of agnostic: the popular one, and the actual one. The popular one is that you're unsure whether there is a God. The actual one is that you're set in thinking that it is impossible to prove either way.
To all the agnostic people complaining: see my previous post.

And to blue strat: both are actually valid or "real". One is just temporary agnosticism, while the other one, which you refer to as "real" is the one in which one believes that the existence of god can never be proven one way or the other.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Last edited by Psychedelico at Aug 25, 2008,
Quote by Psychedelico
woops. forgot about you fence-sitters. is there some way to change the poll?

I don't know why people hate agnostics...
I mean, if you spent your life as an atheist, and suddenly someone proves convincingly the existence of god, what're you gonna do? Would you deny something if it was true?

I don't think there is a god, but if someone manages to prove that there is, I guess I'll accept that. I dunno how I'll react to it, though. I'll probably become even more paranoid.
Quote by fortysix&2
Dude, it's not black and white, atheism is a religion.

This is true.

While there is no proof taht there is a god, there's no proof that there ISN'T one, either. THis makes atheism a religion of faith. Oh, the irony.
Wow, as if this thread hasn't been done before. :/

I'm agnostic, as in you can't be sure either way.
I'm spiritual. I don't belong into any religion in particular, but I have my beliefs and some of them have been borrowed from numerous practices.
Both words remind me of snobbish people. Then again, most people I have met in life have been nearly total snobs...

Regardless, I prefer spirituality. Yes, I believe we have souls. Yes, I think there might be something after this, and perhaps there was something before this as well.

Put simply, I feel blessed to be alive.
The times they are a changin'.....
Quote by sashki
I mean, if you spent your life as an atheist, and suddenly someone proves convincingly the existence of god, what're you gonna do? Would you deny something if it was true?

I don't think there is a god, but if someone manages to prove that there is, I guess I'll accept that. I dunno how I'll react to it, though. I'll probably become even more paranoid.

There's a reason why it's called FAITH, there never will be any way to prove it.
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
Quote by cam_sampbell
+1

then you burn in several hells instead of the usual, one.
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Quote by fortysix&2
Dude, it's not black and white, atheism is a religion IMO

Atheism is NOT a religion. Anyone of any religion or sort of belief can understand that. Atheists believe there is NO God. End of story. A religion is a set of beliefs and practises that are centred around something one believes is true.

Atheists do NOT have a set of practises, and do NOT have morals or anything of that nature to follow within their belief.

It doesn't take an atheist to tell you that. I'm a ****ing Christian.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
Last edited by sixwingmortal at Aug 25, 2008,
This thread is the definition of fail.

Atheist - Theist
Religious - Irreligious

And one can be (is) an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist. Agnosticism/gnosticism is axially perpendicular to theism/atheism.

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Last edited by JamesDouglas at Aug 25, 2008,
Quote by sixwingmortal
Atheism is not a religion. Anyone of any religion can understand that. Atheists believe there is no God. End of story. A religion is a set of beliefs and practises that are centred around something one believes is true.

Atheists do NOT have a set of practises, and don't have specific morals or anything of that nature to follow within their belief.

It doesn't take an atheist to tell you that. I'm a ****ing Christian.

Fixed.
to put it this way

I don't believe in religion and I never will

I just enjoy my life as much as I can and do whatever I wan't as long as I'm not hurting other people
Quote by zwound
I'm spiritual. I don't belong into any religion in particular, but I have my beliefs and some of them have been borrowed from numerous practices.

Likewise. Someone doesn't need a religion to have spirituality.

Personally, I believe in the possibility of a god, but that we can't know for sure-- so why dedicate our lives to an uncertainty? I identify in many ways with the Buddhist system, spiritual and natural balance and such. I'm more concerned with the power of nature and the universe than any God. Perhaps a little Pagan in that sense? Maybe...
UG'S SEXIEST TRANNY 2010

UG'S 3rd HOTTEST CROSSDRESSER 2011
Quote by slayaplaya
to put it this way

I don't believe in religion and I never will

I believe religion exists, just not God
Quote by sashki

While you're right in agreenig with me, this part of your post makes no sense.

Proof denies faith, therefore, if someone proves the existence of god, at the same time, they are ultimately destroying it.
Which goes to show you're safe with agnosticism.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Skills. Get them.

Quote by Dempsey68

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Quote by blue_strat
Fixed.

Oh **** man.. thanks so much. I didn't realize I had so much noobish mistakes in it.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
Quote by Psychedelico
And to blue strat: both are actually valid or "real". One is just temporary agnosticism, while the other one, which you refer to as "real" is the one in which one believes that the existence of god can never be proven one way or the other.

I said actual, not real. There is a difference.

It's like the difference between the popular and actual psychological meanings of the word "ego".
Quote by blue_strat
I believe religion exists, just not God

yeah I just ment that I dont follow a religion
Quote by cam_sampbell
+1

Then make up your damn mind !! geez
Your either with us or against us Rawrrrr ~~~!!!

Athiest here
Gear:
1991 Gibson Flying V
Roland Cube 20X
God is a lie. You can't believe in just books that are written by an unknown source. Anyone can write a book and make something up it just depends if people will read it and believe it. Its sad that people use the Bible as salvation when they don't even know if its true or not.
agnostic, bassically im religious when it suits me ie my heads ****ed
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by sashki

This is true.

While there is no proof taht there is a god, there's no proof that there ISN'T one, either. THis makes atheism a religion of faith. Oh, the irony.

Wrong.
Atheists are people of evidence, and if incontrovertable evidence of God's existance arose, then most atheists would openly admit they were wrong.

At current time, all evidence points to God's non-existance, and therefore that is the opinion of the atheist.

Atheists are, by an large, not against the idea of God on principle. They simply look at the evidence in hand and conclude the likelihood of God's existance is small.

Faith has nothing to do with it, and I for one am pretty tired of hearing the old 'Atheism is a religi0n to0 lolo0lol0loL" arguement.

With all due respect,
StrayCatBlues.
Quote by abstract pie
Ahh the pit. Where conversations of Pokemon Cards can turn into ones of wizard homosexuality

You are everything I want...
...'Cause you are...

...Everything I'm not.

Atheism. Is. Not. A. Religion.
Today's saints were yesterday's sellouts
Last edited by StrayCatBlues at Aug 25, 2008,
I believe in god, or a higher power/intelligence. When I look at the world's incredible complexity, diversity, order and design, I can't help but think that someone or something created and designed this. To me it takes more faith to believe that all this happened by accident, rather by some intelligence...

I am a christian, i attend a local church, i read the bible, I pray, I try and follow christs's teachings, but I wouldn't consider myself religious, don't know if that makes any sense...

sometimes, i do wonder if all this religious/christianity stuff is BS, but hey, I guess that's where faith comes in...
Quote by rogerneeb
I believe in god, or a higher power/intelligence. When I look at the world's incredible complexity, diversity, order and design, I can't help but think that someone or something created and designed this. To me it takes more faith to believe that all this happened by accident, rather by some intelligence...

I am a christian, i attend a local church, i read the bible, I pray, I try and follow christs's teachings, but I wouldn't consider myself religious, don't know if that makes any sense...

sometimes, i do wonder if all this religious/christianity stuff is BS, but hey, I guess that's where faith comes in...

Personally I think the need for philosphy in general arises from what you say in your second sentence there, I don't think the human brain can actually cope with the size and detail of something so complex, so humans philosophized to try and figure out what was going on, ended up just explaining it through stories, then everything got lost in translation.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Skills. Get them.

Quote by Dempsey68

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I'm an Atheist, although I was raised in a christian environment, and really had to think a long time before reaching any conclusions. Sort of annoyed me that the people with no spiritual bones in their body could be triumphant atheists, there are a lot of angry, conceited, lazy bastard Atheists who are infact worse than the christians they claim to have superiority over.

Afterall my parents are both christian, I'm not going to bad-mouth them because of their beliefs which 99% of the time are not even obvious and their own private issue.

However I find religions and beliefs fascinating. To cut off religion would destroy 2000+ years of culture, art, music and history.
Quote by StrayCatBlues
Wrong.
Atheists are people of evidence, and if incontrovertable evidence of God's existance arose, then most atheists would openly admit they were wrong.

At current time, all evidence points to God's non-existance, and therefore that is the opinion of the atheist.

Atheists are, by an large, against the idea of God on principle. They simply look at the evidence in hand and conclude the likelihood of God's existance is small.

Faith has nothing to do with it, and I for one am pretty tired of hearing the old 'Atheism is a religi0n to0 lolo0lol0loL" arguement.

With all due respect,
StrayCatBlues.

Well said.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by rogerneeb
When I look at the world's incredible complexity, diversity, order and design, I can't help but think that someone or something created and designed this. To me it takes more faith to believe that all this happened by accident, rather by some intelligence...

Not to be a dick but this argument bothers me.

If complexity implies a creator, wouldn't that creator be even more complex to design everything, and therefore require a creator him/herself?
Page 1 of 5