I'm confused, always told to see if a credit card fits between the relief or not..

But I still don't know if its meant to or not. Should a credit card be able to fit, or should it not? with me at the moment when using capo 1st fret and fretting at body the credit card doesn't fit and pushes the string up a bit but there is a little gap..

So what is right?

Thanks
:p
David
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
does the guitar buzz?

if you get buzz then yeah, you can adjust to get more room there, and then in effect lower the saddles in the proccess.

some necks wont buzz even wt a pin straight neck. depends in the guitar and the fretwork.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
im no expert on this, but on mines i adjusted the neck and left a little bend in it, as for string hight, thats upto how you like it, i get fret buzz on both my l/ps but when amped you can hear it so it doesnt bother me
With the capo on the first fret, you should simultaneously push down the string at the fret where the neck joins the body. The credit card (or any other means that measures 0.7mm, like a pick) should fit between the string and the 7th fret perfectly. If you're unexperienced, then you'd better take the guitar to a good technician, or else risk warping the neck. Good luck anyways.
Thanks people,

But i'm alright with adjusting, I was just confused about the whole credit card thing and if it should fit or not? So if it doesn't fit there should be more relief?
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Put a capo on the first fret, and then hold the guitar like you would if you playing. Fret the low E around the 13-14 fret, and then check to see the amount of room at the actual 7th, sometimes 8th metal fret. You should have .010" of clearance, which you can check with a feeler gauge. A credit card is often too thick imo, making it easy to put in too much relief. A feeler gauge is a lot more precise. Remember, the amount of relief the neck needs is dependent on the string height.

EDIT: Beaten. I go by .010" as my relief, but there is no hard rule. .010" is a good place to start though.
LAf, David i was pretty clear.

it REALLY depends, on if you're getting buzz (transmitted thru the amp) or not.

some guitars are fine with a pin striaght neck. some need more bend because of the fret work.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

FWIW, your chances of getting a guitar buzz free or close to it about 1:10,000 for most instruments that aren't Customs or high end USA/Japanese ones. As Jenny said, as long as it's not coming through your amp, a little buzz won't hurt you.
^yeah i didnt see your post before i did.

but yeah, i use a credit card because it's about .010” or 0.25mm.

and most guitars will have a little buzz.
i wouldnt bother to adjust unless the guitar needed it, regaurdless of what the middle gap relief was
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62