I've noticed the last couple guitars I've purchased (Ibanez RG 20051, SC607, and JD-600) and a friend of mine has purchased (New PRS singlecut) have all required fretwork.

My friends PRS and my SC required less work than my RG, but my Donais unfortunately has pretty high action at the moment and I've still got a dead spot at the 14th fret. Neck bow is within spec and I've got no buzz on the lower side of the fretboard, but the high E on the 14th fret is pretty close to dead.

The fact that 3 different brands all required fretwork has me thinking as to whether or not leveling should be considered mandatory on any new purchase.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Well that sucks; it really shouldn't need to be done at all. Maybe you've just got unlucky? None of my guitars (even the cheap-ass Ibanez GAX30) have needed any work done when I actually got them even if they could use a bit of TLC now.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Maybe you've just got unlucky?
Wouldn't surprise me

My $300 LTD H2 from 1996 STILL doesn't need leveling and it has seen nearly 10 years of abuse.

When my RG needed it, I had read on jemsite that it wasn't too uncommon for a new RG to require the frets at least be touched. When my friend told me his PRS was exhibiting the same symptoms as my RG I was amazed.

My SC didn't really need it, but it plays even better now that I had it checked/done. My Donais I think may just have 1 problem fret. It plays very nice save for that one spot.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
That should be part of trying a guitar out, and it is horrendous for a PRS singlecut to play like anything but butter, when its brand new.
well, maybe you need a refret. That's a guess, though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by MAYNARD
That should be part of trying a guitar out...
I did but it was quite loud in the store and while my ears are good, they're not that good. The guitar also had 10's on it in the store, where I've put 11's on it now.

Quote by MAYNARD
...it is horrendous for a PRS singlecut to play like anything but butter, when its brand new.
I agree.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by jm1681
When my RG needed it, I had read on jemsite that it wasn't too uncommon for a new RG to require the frets at least be touched. When my friend told me his PRS was exhibiting the same symptoms as my RG I was amazed.

It is absolutely shocking that a PRS would need any work at all straight out of the box; if I was going to be shelling out for a PRS I'd want it to arrive with perfect action, intonation, fret levelling and even in tune for that kind of cost.

I have to say, I haven't played many RGs but the last one I remember playing seemed all right to me; no dead spots that I can remember but I will admit I was only messing around in the shop to waste time, not giving it a thorough testing.

Edit: If you re-strung it with a heavier gauge maybe you just need to get the action sorted rather than the frets as a whole?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
To be honest, all those big brands are like that. I bought a limited edition Les Paul, which cost £2,000 ($4,000!), and it needed fret-levelling. It really is unacceptable for such expensive guitars. I mean, if I can buy a Yamaha Pacifica for £150 and it's perfectly set up, and then I go and buy a Gibson Les Paul or PRS or whatever for £2,000 and it plays like crap, then there's something wrong, isn't there?