So, both of these are £250, and as the Tascam has more inputs, i'm edging towards it as it will be used to record drums.

However, i am by no means an expert on the subject and i know some of the guys in here are so i was looking for a second opinion. Which of these two is best?

Tascam US-1641 Usb 2.0 Audio/Midi Interface
http://www.e-av.co.uk/info.php?id=8527

M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8x8 USB 2.0 Audio MIDI Interface
http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=ST01047

Or am i missing a better unit completely? I can go no higher pricewise and i do not have a firewire port so they are out of the question.

Thanks very much for reading, any comments are much appreciated.
Both will work well...just know that by getting USB you'll end up with a stereo signal only. If you have a desktop, Firewire's a very easy option to add on...otherwise, I'd go for the Tascam.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Both will work well...just know that by getting USB you'll end up with a stereo signal only. If you have a desktop, Firewire's a very easy option to add on...otherwise, I'd go for the Tascam.

And having a stereo signal only means...? (Sorry, just getting into this)

And i do have a desktop, but the drums will be recorded at a mates house, with a laptop. I know we could add firewire to both but is there really a big enough difference is sound quality for it to be worth the hassle?
it means all of your inputs (the four on the M-Audio product) will be mixed down to a stereo track....this makes editing drums extremely hard.

see my first video pinned at the top of this section if you have not already.
For tracking drums firewire is a much better choice. You can easily send each input to its own track in the software instead of having it mixed...
Quote by moody07747
it means all of your inputs (the four on the M-Audio product) will be mixed down to a stereo track....this makes editing drums extremely hard.

Ok...Is there anyway to avoid this? If not, can i still get a reasonable drum sound out of a USB interface? And are there any more options (other than firewire or USB)?

thanks very much for taking the time to help.
There's no way to stop mixing down on USB interfaces....its just that the data is too large for the cable to hold...

You can get some fair sounding drums with your m-audio interface you are looking at but if you are running a desktop you can easily add a firewire port or two.

Theres PCI card interfaces but they normally dont have preamps and the large ones (M-Audio Delta 1010) cost quite a bit...

Products like the PreSonus FP10 are the best thing to get for drums IMO.
Ok, i've done a bit of looking around and i can change my desktop so it has a firewire port, and although my friends laptop (which would be used for the drums) doesn't have a firewire port like this http://www.hardware-one.com/reviews/Yamaha8824FXZ/images/FirewireSocket.jpg , He does have a port which this http://www.cablek.com/client_file/upload/image/firewire_4_pin.jpg would fit into.

Can i buy this http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=31964&source=froogle which i believe is a 4 pin - 6 pin firewire adaptor(?) If i use that will i be able to connect a firewire interface to my firend's laptop?

Sorry about all the links.
yea the sound quality and data transfer speed between those two firewire ports is the same. Only difference is that one transfers power down the cable.

You can use a 4-6 pin cable without any problem. The cables are better than the adapters since they put less stress on the small 4 pin jack.
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but from the way I understand the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra does in fact record 4 channels to 4 seperate tracks. Furthermore, USB 2.0 is more than capable of handling that amount of data.

Not all USB based products mix down to stereo. I don't know why everyone assumes this....

On the other side of the coin, it may be worth it for the TS to invest in a firewire expansion card and opt for a firewire solution considering the budget we're working with here.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by Death-Speak
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but from the way I understand the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra does in fact record 4 channels to 4 seperate tracks. Furthermore, USB 2.0 is more than capable of handling that amount of data.

Not all USB based products mix down to stereo. I don't know why everyone assumes this....

On the other side of the coin, it may be worth it for the TS to invest in a firewire expansion card and opt for a firewire solution considering the budget we're working with here.

True, USB can in fact transfer all seperate tracks...the Line6 UX8 does it.
However I like to think it cant since most of the USB interfaces on the market are wired to mix down. It's simply due to the design of the product but even still, most USB interfaces only have 2 inputs on them...
Thanks very much.

One more question - The Presonus FP10 has XLR/TRS inputs...what does this mean? Will i need a different cable from your normal Mic XLR or will it still fit?
It's a combo connector on the interface that accepts both XLR and TRS connections. Your normal mic cable (XLR type) will work just fine.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic