ok, in a nutshell... i have a peavey 6505 head, and my friend has a line 6 vetta II combo. I love my 6505, but i played around with the vetta for a while and got almost the EXACT same tone as the 6505.

the vetta is also a lot more versatile then the 6505, and you can do a lot more with a vetta. So im thinking, if i can basically the same tone with the vetta, and also get a lot more, should i just sell my 6505 and mesa cab (since the vetta is a combo) and buy a line 6 vetta II?

well my friend said he would think about trading my head + cab, for his combo....

the prices are almost equal, i bought my head for $1000, and the cab off ebay for $680 (used), and vetta retails for somethin like $1700

do you think its worth trading my tube stack for this solid state combo?

EDIT: also, has anyone played anything from the spidervalve series by line 6? does it sound more like a SS or a tube?
Last edited by viper62084 at Aug 25, 2008,
I personally think it's a great idea.

Go for it.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
My suggestion is avoid the Spidervalve, I can't really comment if it sounds more tube or SS (Seeing as I've never actually heard a full tube amp in my life), but it definately doesn't sound nice, if you were gonna go that route it'd be better to just get a Pod X3 Live and a power amp and hook it up to your cab.

Try out the Vetta more and get some more tones out of it, I heard lots of good things about it.
Well... I personally love the sound of nice, broken in tubes. But, I'm not a tube elitist, as I have both a 5150 and a Line 6 Hd147. I think it all depends on what you plan on playing. If you know you are going to be in the hard rock/metal realm, there is no reason to trade. The 6505 has that covered, and is simply a beast. But if you would like to have more tones, why not. I also got a pretty nice 5150 sound out of the 147, but I personally prefer the actual tone from the 5150. For heavily distorted music. For everything else- blues, cleans, effects, jazz, classic rock, etc- the 147 is definitely a more versatile amp. and the 147 is very similar to the Vetta line,.
Bumblebee of the Autobot Transformers G1 Club

(sweet 2009 camaro )
Quote by axeslinger0u812
Well... I personally love the sound of nice, broken in tubes. But, I'm not a tube elitist, as I have both a 5150 and a Line 6 Hd147. I think it all depends on what you plan on playing. If you know you are going to be in the hard rock/metal realm, there is no reason to trade. The 6505 has that covered, and is simply a beast. But if you would like to have more tones, why not. I also got a pretty nice 5150 sound out of the 147, but I personally prefer the actual tone from the 5150. For heavily distorted music. For everything else- blues, cleans, effects, jazz, classic rock, etc- the 147 is definitely a more versatile amp. and the 147 is very similar to the Vetta line,.

thats cool, ive heard nothing but good things about the HD 147.

i mostly play metal, punk type stuff with my friends, but when im practicing alone, i play literally everything, just so im a well rounded player, so thats another reason im more towards trading for the vetta
I say get the Vetta. They also seem to re-sell for alot higher than the 5150/6505 heads.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
If you're in a live band situation, the 6505 will definitely have more 'cut'.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Well its acording your situation. You'll be able to play your vetta at lower volumes and still have good tone than you will your 6505. Which is good if you live somewhere where you can't crank your tube amp. I say get the vetta and then go buy you another 6505 or used 5150 down the line. You'll be able to get one cheaper than you could a vetta.