Got my 21st coming up, parents said they'd spend a little more on me this year. had a nice £450-£500 camera lined up, but then thought - **** it, I play guitar every day and I don't want to be stuck with a spider any longer. >_>

Obviously the Valveking combo is in my range but...I hear it's not brilliant if you focus on metal. Good alternatives? It'll be for bedroom practice, but who knows, might end up playing a pub or something someday, so if it would cater for that if the time ever comes that'd be nice.
Bugera?
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Could get a 5150 combo at that price easy.
GO for that.

Ultimate metal tones.

Sell the Spider and buy a tubescreamer or something of that nature.

Enjoy =]
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Engl might be in the range if you buy used.

True!

If you can find a Screamer for that money, buy it and worship its ultimateness.
I sold my Spider II 212 two days ago for £225 on eBay. I bought it a year ago for £150 off a mate, anything is possible.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I sold my Spider II 212 two days ago for £225 on eBay. I bought it a year ago for £150 off a mate, anything is possible.

Don't suppose you've still got the page saved have you? No idea how to present a decent eBay page, so I'd really appreciate it if you've still got a copy. Spider II 212 is exactly what I'm selling.

Might throw in my MetalZone too as leverage to maybe entice people into buying as well, considering I never use it. ¬_¬
Since you're in the UK, you might want to look into some Laneys. I don't know much about them so I honestly can't recommend anything in particular - but I do know they make some great high-gain all-tube amps.

Think Paul Gilbert's tone in Racer X.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
the bugera 333xl is the best option. But the thing is make sure you can play a high watt tube amp in your bedroom. If you're in a situation where you can't have a loud amp then don't get one. Or you'll be one of these people posting my tube amp doesn't sound right turned down and i cant turn it up.
Quote by Raijouta
Since you're in the UK, you might want to look into some Laneys. I don't know much about them so I honestly can't recommend anything in particular - but I do know they make some great high-gain all-tube amps.

Most of the classic Racer X recordings were done with an ADA MP-1 Preamp setup rather than a Laney but you can get a similar tone out of a GH50L but you don't want one of those if you need good cleans.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Bugera for that price.

And they look quote sexy :P
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250285157517&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=015
There you are; nothing special but it might give you a start. Good luck with selling it and with what you decide to buy. I'm buying a Valveking 212 and replacing the speakers with Celestion V30s. I have a Bad Monkey so hopefully that'll give it a little boost.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250285157517&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=015
There you are; nothing special but it might give you a start. Good luck with selling it and with what you decide to buy. I'm buying a Valveking 212 and replacing the speakers with Celestion V30s. I have a Bad Monkey so hopefully that'll give it a little boost.

Thanks dude, really appreciate it.

People keep mentioning Bugera - but that's just a name to me - what models should I be looking at?

EDIT* Oh right, 333 I see now. Heh. Gonn a check out some demos to see how it sounds.
Last edited by StiltonCheese at Aug 25, 2008,
the 333xl bugera is the best one. after trying them all out. My dealer says most people go in there to get a 6262 because of it being like the 5150 but everyone that tries the 333xl out ends up walking out with it. The 333xl just all together sounds tighter and the clean channel kills the 6262. The distortion is tight and rectifier like. It really does sound like a much more expensive amp than what it is. The 6262 sounds kinda cheap to me.
Woah, £429 from GAK, excellent.

It's...gah, such a shame they only come in 120Watt though, I'd never crank that full, especially when back at Uni.
Quote by Raijouta

Laney VH100R! If you're selling the Spider 212 you could easily afford it. Can also pull 2 power tubes to get 50w output. In my opinion it's superior to the Bugera for metal. But you have to try it, it's all about personal opinion
Woah, so, whatever I get I can get some power tubes removed to reduce the output? The won't negatively affect the tone will it? Or mess with the speakers or any other components?

I'd be perfectly happy to do that, providing it's safe to do (replaced pickups without a problem myself, and my Dad's not too bad with electronic stuff either....)

If I could do that to allow me to crank it better, then that'd be fantastic.
You're not going to be able to crank a 50 watt amp either.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Yeah, obviously, but it'll be cranked more at any given volume than a 120Watt...surely?

So at, say, 25% volume, the 50Watt would have a better tone than the 120Watt?
It won't really reduce the volume by a substantial amount, but it would allow you to reach the sweet spot of the amp earlier. Say on 100w it needs to be at 50% to get there, you'd only need to be on 35% to 40% to get to the same on 50w mode. There isn't really much difference at all in total volume, it just reduces the headroom a bit.

Yes it should be perfectly safe to pull the tubes on the Laney, not sure about other brands though. Check out the first post of the Laney thread to see how to do it

EDIT: by 50w output I mean on the 100 watt Laney, the Bugera would be 60 watts as it halves the power. However there is virtually no difference at all from 10 watts. (Disclaimer: I am not held responsible and do not endorse pulling tubes. Pull power tubes at your own risk )

EDIT EDIT: The reason most metal amps are such high wattage are because you don't really need to crank your amp if you play metal. If you play classic rock or rock or something like that you would want to, rock players like the cranked natural overdrive sound whereas most metal players like the plain distortion
Last edited by alexlemon2 at Aug 25, 2008,
I'll probably end up with the Bugera tbh, the Laney looks good but considering the price and awesomeness of the Bugera, I can't let that pass by really... if I can sell the Spider, yeah, the Laney would fall within my price range but it just makes the Bugera even more attractive :P

I'll ask the tech at whichever store I choose if they can remove the power tubes for me, perhaps...

No idea where to go now that all the Sound Control's in the UK have disappeared into the night, and only a handful have been replaced with Reverb.... :S

EDIT* And thanks for all that explanation Alex, really appreciate it.
You can just pull the tubes out yourself but yeah it'd be a good idea to ask whether it's safe to do it with your amp as i'm not really 100% sure myself. The Bugera is a good choice
I'll review all the suggestions nearer the time, I guess.

But, for more pressing issues - where the hell do I go to try 'em out now Sound Control no longer exists? >.<
That depends where you are located, whether you have a car and how far you are willing to travel There are rather a lot of guitar shops within a 1 hour radius of me (granted, only a few of them are actually worthwhile, they are generally the Ma & Pa independent shops)
Norwich, whilst at Uni, and South Lincolnshire whilst at home. an hour by car isn't unreasonable, really - even hour and a half, I guess if I'm certain I'm going to purchase something...

Any shops I should look at? Sound Control was the only big chain name I know...there's lots of local shops I know but they all sell Spiders, MG's, Squiers and Yamaha's. And have the apparel of a crack den. ¬_¬
Quote by StiltonCheese
Norwich, whilst at Uni, and South Lincolnshire whilst at home. an hour by car isn't unreasonable, really - even hour and a half, I guess if I'm certain I'm going to purchase something...

Any shops I should look at? Sound Control was the only big chain name I know...there's lots of local shops I know but they all sell Spiders, MG's, Squiers and Yamaha's. And have the apparel of a crack den. ¬_¬

Do you know Norwich at all? If you do there's a couple of guitar shops around the town centre, one of which has a relatively healthy stock of amps including some good Marshall stuff, Peavey and Laney if I remember rightly.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Broadland Music? It's been closed for ages, dunno if it's ever going to open up again. Don't know of any others - where abouts are they?
Hmm that's a bit far north, I am on the south coast so i can't really help out with shops and such
Quote by StiltonCheese
Broadland Music? It's been closed for ages, dunno if it's ever going to open up again. Don't know of any others - where abouts are they?

Do you know where the comic shop "Abstract Sprocket" is? I don't really know Norwich well enough to give directions from anywhere but if you can find it (it's on Benedicts Street) then you're about 30 seconds walk from the shop I'm thinking of. It should still be open, I was there a couple of months ago

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
unless you're willing to go second-hand, i'd save another couple of hundred to get an engl screamer or similar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Saving rests entirely upon actually getting a job, and I seem to be totally out of luck in that respect, haven't managed to get anything this summer. Just hope I can get something when I get back to uni....
ah, ok, sorry to hear that. maybe keep an eye out for a screamer or laney tt50 combo second hand? you should be able to get one at around your budget, with a little luck.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Second hand tube amps will always be kinda dangerous, you never know what state the tubes will bein, somebody's word isn't enough reasurrance for me. Just be careful.
RULE BRITANNIA