OK, so I searched around, and have gathered a little information regarding this problem my guitar is having.

Microphonic pickup symtoms usually consist of loud squeeling(among other things), right? Well, the interesting thing about my set of humbuckers is that they do squeel, yes, but if I turn the tone knob all the way down to zero, then the squeeling stops.=/...this leads to believe that maybe the pickups themselves are not the problem...something may be wrong with my wiring...idk

I hesitate to replace the pickups not knowing much about all this.
what type of guitar, and amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If you're playing on a clean channel and it does that... it's probably something to do with the guitar. If you're on a OD channel, chances are you..

- have your gain too high
- have your treble too high
- sitting too close to the amp
- have the amp up too loud, in relation to how far away you are from the amp
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
Grounding problem?
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Les Paul spinoff, little peavey amp, hehe

It's only when on OD, but my other guitar doesn't squeel.=/ (Fender Starcaster...yup yup, I know>_>

what's grounding?...=_= lol
if you upgrade the amp, you probably won't feedback with any guitar.

because even if the lp pups are sub par, a better amp wont let them feed back as easily.

anyway, i'd put money there, before buying new pickups.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Yeah, I know I need a new amp, but I don't see how it will keep the pickups from screaming...I mean, if they're microphonic, they're microphonic...nothin' the amp can do...=/

turn it up past 1 and it won't stop.>_<
i thought my post was pretty clear, but if you don;t understand ok.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

uh...ok, look...I don't understand how you think the amp is the problem? I am well aware of the awful tone that it produces, but when using my other electric guitar(the one not in question), no hideous squeals can be heard ...>=|...what are you trying to say?

I hope I have made it clear that I don't logically see how the amp could be causing the problem.=/
Last edited by Weavel33 at Aug 26, 2008,
yeah it's tough around here huh? it's like you're stuck with me or something.

well if you really don't want to upgrade the amp and instead want to put a little work into it. you can repot the pickups you do have.

but there's really no other answers.

you're feedback-ing on 1. so nothing else will work.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

no no...I do need a new amp...and that probably is the first step I need to take. I just wanted to know for future reference.

So your saying it's not the pickups, it's the electronic parts beyond them? I guess that would make sense, cause if I turn the tone down, I don't get any feedback, but when I turn it up even to 1 I do. So by turning the tone down I'm basically bypassing the pot things, which you're saying are the root of the problem...correct me on anything if I'm wrong.=/
oh no, it's not the "pots" potentiometers that control the volume and the tone on the guitar.

when i say "repot" the pickups, i mean, this...
http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/electrical/index.php
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

So, based on what that article says, do you think it's even worth it to pot them...cause they are not of the greatest quality anyway...

k, so now my question is, if I did replace them, would that fix the problem?...assuming that the new pickups don't have the same problem.;D
not necessarily.

i'm sure it would be better, but i can't be sure that the amp isnt adding to the problem.

to know for sure, you would need to try that guitar thru a different amp, using a different cable.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

The cable is kinda...bad...meaning it has be in just the right position to work...or else buzz.=_=

I tried it through my brothers bass amp and it did the same thing...so...=/ I don't know if that counts.
oh yes. that's a problem.

and the input jack on that guitar might also be a problem.

has it ever been loose on you before?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

But I use the same crappy cable with my other guitar...

when I first got it, yeah...tightened it up, never gotten loose since then.=/
when you hand tighten an input jack , the jack spins and a wire can become loose.

check that both wires are still on there and not loose.

crossed wires can also cause problems.

AND you still dont believe me, but i was pretty clear.
a bad cable + a cheap amp + a poorly potted pup can cause feedback.

and fixing one part of the problem might not completely solve the whole problem.
and that wire might work on a better guitar and at the same time bring out the worst in a lower end guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Ah, I see...alright, well I've been meaning to get a new cable, pickups, and most importantly a new amp...so that should do it then...I'll check that input jack thing too.;D ironically my guitar has the same finish as that one!=P

EDIT: I looked at the input jack situation and I think I've found a problem...the black wire seems to be barely hanging on to the thing it's connected to. I don't know if it was soldered well. I can get a pic up if you wanna see it.;D
Last edited by Weavel33 at Aug 30, 2008,
Ok, after a second look I'm not sure if something's wrong there or not.=/ I'm thinking not. The reason I thought something was wrong before was because the wire was bent weird...but after closer examination, I think it's fine.;D
ok well if it's on there ok, then good.

i suggest you take the guitar with you and try it at a store with a different amp. try to see which combination works best, for the cheapest amount of money.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

eh...I don't think that's neccesary. I plan on getting a new amp and new pickups...so whichever it is...I'll have hopefully fixed...oh yeah, new cable too.