My friend made an acoustic song and it has the capo on the 11th fret and the chords that are played are just a G, D, Am, and C but relative with the capo.

I have no idea what key this would be in and what scales I would use to make a solo over the chords. It's has a reggae kind of strumming to it and sounds like a cheesy Hawaiian song.

But I need help, can anyone tell me what key this song would be in and what scale would sound good over the chords?

Thanks.
Sounds like its in the key of Gb. So Gb major scale would work for a solo...
Quote by drewfromutah
If he's just playing open chords I don't get why he wouldn't put it on the 12th fret.

On an acoustic it's pretty hard to put a capo on the 12th fret because of the neck groove at the back. The capo tends to not stay in place and slip while playing. I dunno really, I think that'd be the reason though.

EDIT: Crap, you editted it already.
F# major scale/ D# minor
MY GEAR:

Ibanez S470
Vintage: VRS100
Fender FM100R 100WATT
Marshall: MG30DFX 30WATT
Digitech: RP350
Boss: DS-1
Jim Dunlop: Original Crybaby
Crafter: FX-550EQ
Orange: Mini- Krush

Add My Profile
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
On an acoustic it's pretty hard to put a capo on the 12th fret because of the neck groove at the back. The capo tends to not stay in place and slip while playing. I dunno really, I think that'd be the reason though.

EDIT: Crap, you editted it already.

Yeah I thought of that, I also thought he was planning on playing in A minor. Should have read the OP!
Surely you would want to just downtune it a semitone down like Slash or Hendrix? Oh well, your choice!

Chords: Gb, Db, Ab m, Cb
Scale: Cb major or Gb Mixolydian if you really want to get technical! If you wanted to give it a blusy feel then use Ab Minor pentatonic (with some blues notes added)

Rob
Quote by aaron6890
you could just tune half a step down, it would probably sound a little better and you could keep the same chords.

Well I thought about that, but we're going to play at an Acoustic Coffeehouse around November so we're writing songs. We just play Acoustic Instrumental, I made a song already in DADGAD tuning and we have another in Standard tuning and I don't want to keep retuning after every song, abd he isn't good at tuning either. Bad ear.
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
Well I thought about that, but we're going to play at an Acoustic Coffeehouse around November so we're writing songs. We just play Acoustic Instrumental, I made a song already in DADGAD tuning and we have another in Standard tuning and I don't want to keep retuning after every song, abd he isn't good at tuning either. Bad ear.

maybe tune a step down for the song, then capo on second fret for song in standard, then put capo on the first fret for the song in question now and play everything an octave down?

as for the key, im pretty sure its in Gb/F# maj