Ive been looking into getting better pickups for my guitar but im not sure which ones to get.

The style I play is mainly leads such as the virtuosos like Paul Gilbert, Petrucci, Satch, but i also play metal and hard rock, but im not looking for a really distorted sound, just distorted with a nice crunch. Not really planning on getting active pickups unless you can suggest them for that style.

Im thinking of getting Dimarzios but with so many to chose from i have no idea which to get.

Any suggestions are welcome.
As you said satch, perhaps get one of his sig dimazios or a set?

or vai's evo's

or petrucci's D-sonic.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
My amp is pretty basic, plan to get a new one along with the pickups but my current pickups lack clarity, the sound tends to mush together especially when playing fast on lower strings. Its the same on different amps ive tried. They are only stock pickups. More output would be nice aswell.

I was wondering how much differnce pickups make.

I may get the D sonic dp207 bridge pickup but im not sure which neck one to get.
Last edited by Mr.Kvx10 at Aug 25, 2008,
Then the problem is most likely the amp, not the pickups.

Again, what amp is it?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
its a 20 watt Stagg sorry, Although i run it with a pocket pod.

Most of the time though i run the sound through the computers sound card for easy recording and stuff.

I should maybe get the amp first and then decide on pickups?
Quote by Mr.Kvx10
its a 20 watt Stagg sorry, Although i run it with a pocket pod.

Most of the time though i run the sound through the computers sound card for easy recording and stuff.

I should maybe get the amp first and then decide on pickups?

There's little point worrying about pickups unless the rest of your rig is setup to benefit from the change and a little practice amp and a pocket pod isn't going to respond. You want a decent conventional solid state or tube amp, ideally tube, to get any significant benefit from of a pickup change.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You are only as good as your weakest link. If you have crap pickups then it doesn't matter how good your amp is, you will still sound like you have crap pickups. If you have a crap amp then it doesn't matter how good your pickups are, you will still sound like you have a crap amp. In your situation the weakest link is your amp. If you only have around $150 to $200 then look into the 15 watt vox valvetronix. It's a good practice amp, costs about the same amount as pickups, and will do more to help your tone.
Not taking any online orders.