Page 1 of 2
I have this logic problem and I can't get it. Help please?
The father says to the son:
Good tommy, our ages combined are 70 years. Since I'm 6 times older than you are now, I can say that once I'm twice as old than you, our combined ages will be twice what they are now. Good, let me see if you can tell me your mother's age.
Tommy, that was brilliant with numbers, solved theproblem quickly, but he had the advantage of knowing his own age and was able to guess with quite exactitude the ages of others.
We however, are only left with the data about the comparative ages of the dad and son, and the surprising question of "What's the mother's age?".

It simply doesn't make sense

EDIT: My teacher just said that "our" includes the mother's age so now it's solvable. Thanks anyway pit.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Aug 25, 2008,
I don't really get the "once I'm twice as old than you" part. It's not even grammatically correct. Point taht out to the professor that set you this.

EDIT: Tommy probably knew his mother's age, anyway. I know my mother's age...
i think there is a typo there.

"The father says to the son:...Since I'm 6 times older than you are..."
I learned how to do this last year.

It has soething to do with substituting the ages as variables, and then plugging them in after you found what X was. Sorry if it doesn't make sense, I'll edit if I get it.

EDIT: oh **** it, my head hurts from trying to figure that out.

I do know to keep the constant variable as tommy's age, so he would be X. His dad would be 6x, since he's 6 times older. The rest I don't feel like figuring out.
Last edited by Mr. Awesome. at Aug 25, 2008,
Quote by sashki
I don't really get the "once I'm twice as old than you" part. It's not even grammatically correct. Point taht out to the professor that set you this.

Yeah that's what I thought. I mean, he is already 6 times older than the son. How will he be twice as old? Go foward in time?
She's now busy. I'm asking her in some minutes and updating you.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I'm guessing the "our ages combined" include the mother's age

I'm doing the math now
im sorry man i cannot help you. the question doesent even make sense!
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
I'm interested in this one.
The first part makes sense. If the son is 10, and the father is 6 times older, that adds up to 70.
Quote by seljer
I'm guessing the "our ages combined" include the mother's age

I'm doing the math now

This may be the key
Last edited by sashki at Aug 25, 2008,
Quote by urik
Yeah that's what I thought. I mean, he is already 6 times older than the son. How will he be twice as old? Go foward in time?
She's now busy. I'm asking her in some minutes and updating you.

I don't think that's what sashki meant. The quote says "twice as old than you" when it really should be "twice as old as you", however it is possible for the father to be twice as old as his son, it will take a while but it will happen.
like simultaneous equation?
Quote by centorium

i love green day,sure they're mostly power cords but for begginer,good they are
Quote by PlayMadness
Spent too much time in the talk like Yoda thread, you have.

I read three words and gave up
Quote by darkstar2466
Ollieyoufool seems like a self-made man.

Quote by MightyAl
If you punched through plasterboard, I'm pretty sure you can fill it.
If you punched through bricks, why are you scared of your dad?
The answer is there isn't enough info, you could assume the mother and father are the same age but that would be a guess/assumption.

unsolvable
▼▲
Quote by shdowfox17
awesome avatar,denn0069!
Quote by Valo
The most truth I've heard in the pit.
ever.
▼▲
this is fairly easy

first and formost

you divide the circumfrence of x=34 and divide that by 2, wich gives you 5.4353. then you multiply the integer with y wich y=65 thus conducting the equator x=y+0.9 . AND THEN you get the age 70, and then you divide it by x=y+0.9 and subtract the main opposition of the beginning question. its as simple as that.
The Answer is Abraham Lincoln.
Interested in Japan? Join the Club. PM me or Kurt-Corgan.
Quote by PieceOfMind666

Haha, that was an epic pic battle. you are a worthy opponent

Oh damn, too bad I learned how to do this in algebra last year but forgot over the summer.

I think its set up like this : 6A*B=70
2B*A=70

Or something like that. Quadratics? Linear Combinations?
Ah, when it says what is his mother's age it may mean that they want to know how long the mother has been a mother, as before the kid was born she wasn't a mother, so technically she has only been a mother for 10 years, that being the mother's age. The woman's age can be any figure.

The answer is 10.
Quote by tyronelab
Maybe this is the question of which The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galxy spoke of?

If 42 really is the answer to this one, I will....be mildly amused.
Quote by Valo
45. The mothers age is 45.

How did you find that?
the kid is 10 and his dad 60
combined is 70
and the dad is 6 times older

not sure about the 'I can say that once I'm twice as old than you, our combined ages will be twice what they are now.' part
except that if im righ their 'twicre what they are now would be 140
but cant be bothered to figure out the rest

but theres no info on the mom so cant say what they want
Hey Guy
she's 50.
The "our ages combined" is the son + the father + the mother. Else it can't be true.
x= son's age
y= father's age
z= mother's age

x+y=70 and x=6y, so y=10 and x=60
When is y=2x? in 40 years (50 and 100)

So then you know that
2*(x+y+z)=150+z+40
<=> 2*(70+z)=z+190
<=>2z+140=z+90
<=>z=50
Quote by Base Ics
she's 50.
The "our ages combined" is the son + the father + the mother. Else it can't be true.
x= son's age
y= father's age
z= mother's age

So then you know that
2*(x+y+z)=150+z+40
<=> 2*(70+z)=z+190
<=>2z+140=z+90
<=>z=50

Ediot: NVM Im an idiot
This is win.
▼▲
Quote by shdowfox17
awesome avatar,denn0069!
Quote by Valo
The most truth I've heard in the pit.
ever.
▼▲
Quote by Base Ics
she's 50.
x= son's age
y= father's age
z= mother's age

So then you know that
2*(x+y+z)=150+z+40
<=> 2*(70+z)=z+190
<=>2z+140=z+90
<=>z=50

you didn't put z into the first equation
Quote by denn0069
So she married a 20 year old and they have a 10 year old son.
Meaning they did the bumpedybump when he was 10 and she was 40?

x=10, so the son is 10
y=60, so the dad is 60
z=50 so the mom is 50
Can't be more clear than that mate. I don't know where you got those numbers from...

the son was born when mom and dad were 40 and 50. Pretty late, but they had to have easy numbers that fit.
Quote by seljer
you didn't put z into the first equation

This. Also you mix up your xs and ys.

You've got to be consistent, either it goes in neither or both. Plus, I think people are trying to turn this into a math problem when it's supposedly a logic one. It seems the kind of thing a college professor would give kids to see how they think, not if they can do math. If she wanted to test their math ability she could give them a math test.
Quote by sashki
No, it's 42.

COINCIDENCE!?! I don't think so!

If you divide 42 by 2 you get 21 if you divide this then by 3 you get 6 which equals 3 6's!!

THE DEVIL:!!
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by Base Ics
she's 50.
x= son's age
y= father's age
z= mother's age

So then you know that
2*(x+y+z)=150+z+40
<=> 2*(70+z)=z+190
<=>2z+140=z+90
<=>z=50

Thanks for your effort, but I tried doing that, but you need to put the mom in your first equation since it's that X+ Y+ Z = 70.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by blynd_snyper
This.

You've got to be consistent, either it goes in neither or both. Plus, I think people are trying to turn this into a math problem when it's supposedly a logic one. It seems the kind of thing a college professor would give kids to see how they think, not if they can do math. If she wanted to test their math ability she could give them a math test.

ehm, "being consistent" is bull****. It clearly states that the father's age + the son's age = 70, and later on the mom's age is mentioned. And it is a math problem, not a logic problem. It's simple math, the professor wants to teach you to read your questions carefully. I'm a 1st-year college student myself, I know college questions xD. (And I wish mine were as easy as this one )
dude....father was robbing the cradle....i think i hear dateline!
Amps:
Crate V3112
Mesa Mk IVB

Guitars:
Ibanez SZ320
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X
Michael Kelly Patriot Custom

Effects:
Too Many to list.
from what I did, the answer is : son: 5 y.o / father: 30 y.o. / mother: 35 y.o
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Ibanez VBT700
Ibanez SZ320
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Crafter D8/N
Peavey Transtube Bandit 112
Peavey Grind Bass 5 BXP NTB
Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby
Quote by Base Ics
ehm, "being consistent" is bull****. It clearly states that the father's age + the son's age = 70, and later on the mom's age is mentioned. And it is a math problem, not a logic problem. It's simple math, the professor wants to teach you to read your questions carefully. I'm a 1st-year college student myself, I know college questions xD. (And I wish mine were as easy as this one )

It sates that the father's plus son's age is equal to 70 about as clearly as it states that you have to add the mother's age to the second equation and not the first, ie terribly. It uses the same phrasing for each 'combined ages', you can't assume that you include the mother for one but not the other especially as the mother isn't even mentioned until the very end.
vince check your work by plugging in the solution
Amps:
Crate V3112
Mesa Mk IVB

Guitars:
Ibanez SZ320
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X
Michael Kelly Patriot Custom

Effects:
Too Many to list.
Page 1 of 2