Alright, I wanna write a song in (let's say) E phrygian and I want it to sound like phrygian I mean, I know that E phrygian is also A minor, but how can I make it feel like its phrygian, not minor? I guess it's gotta be in the chord progression, so what scale should I use under a lead in E phrygian???
thxs, hope that's clear
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Ibanez VBT700
Ibanez SZ320
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Crafter D8/N
Peavey Transtube Bandit 112
Peavey Grind Bass 5 BXP NTB
Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby
i find myself with the same problem

what kiiinddaaaa works is starting off rhythms on that note (in this case E)
but thats what i find works
it might sound different to you
Hey Guy
Well, you would use the scale of E Phrygian itself. Forget about A minor, forget that E phrygian has anything to do with the A minor scale. Treat it as an individual scale/mode, even as it's own "key".
A good tonic chord to use would be either Em7 or Esus(b9). Another chord that I use to good extent is the iiMaj7 which in this case would be FMaj7. Remember, modal harmony is unstable and different from regular major and minor harmony. And, obviously, try not to resolve to the parent scale. I think phrygian is harder to resolve properly than other modes such as Dorian or Mixolydian, but with practice, you'll get it. Improvise with it and see what comes out.
Quote by /-Vince-\
Alright, I wanna write a song in (let's say) E phrygian and I want it to sound like phrygian I mean, I know that E phrygian is also A minor, but how can I make it feel like its phrygian, not minor? I guess it's gotta be in the chord progression, so what scale should I use under a lead in E phrygian???
thxs, hope that's clear

Do you know how to harmonize the Major scale? For instance do you know the chords for the key of C are:

C Dm Em F G Am Bdim C

If not, don't bother with modes yet. Get a more solid grasp on the basics 1st.

if you do understand that, its as simple as knowing the key signature ( E phrygian is no sharps/no flats.... same as C major)...... and then making a chord progression that is centered around (has a tonal center of) E.
shred is gaudy music