I have this trouble with trying to sing and play the guitar at the same time but for some reason my brain can't comprehend that and i lose rhythm to the song.

any advice how i can get better at it?
Keep practicing. Start off simple, perhaps just singing along to chords. Nirvana is a great place to start after you get that down. But in the end it boils down to practice, practice, and more practice!
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
I have the same problem. Granted I can't sing worth ****.

Already suggested, but find a means of keeping time. Foot tapping, metronome maybe?

Or practice on songs with easier chord patters, just up down x4, new chord etc.

Good luck
I will more than likely never return to any thread I post in, so don't bother replying to me.
the most basic thing is to remember 4/4 timing... then try some powerchords, you usually play 8 chords and then switch to another. get that imprinted into your brain and then try singing.
Practice ....start slow and then speed up. How do think drummers feel, and some of them sing as well.
Quote by Rampagez
I have this trouble with trying to sing and play the guitar at the same time but for some reason my brain can't comprehend that and i lose rhythm to the song.

any advice how i can get better at it?

i play for like 4 years now,, from when i started,, i tried to sing along immideatly..
now i can sing on all the riffs i practice...
even like; Bodom stuff and like arch Enemy
it' just comes to practice my friend
You need to know both parts you want to do really well. Then you kind of let one go on autopilot as you think more about the other.

Simpler rhythms are easier to start off with singing, but weird rhythm differences are possible with practice.
What's already been said, basically. Start slow, keep a beat with a metronome/foot/whatever, and start with simple rhythms like 4/4 (and simple songs, knocking on heaven's door maybe?).

*edit* Seems like stating the obvious, but has anyone actually said to learn each part separately then put it together?
Last edited by MopMaster at Aug 25, 2008,
Just keep practicing the song. I have trouble with this when learning new songs too, but I just kept on playing it / singing it over and over together, and eventually I got it.

Just keep practicing it, you'll get it!
Use a metronome. It helps, and some Sony Ericsson phones have a digital version of metronome in them.
“The guy said NBA players are one in a million, ... I said, 'Man, look, I'm going to be that one in a million.'”
Kobe Bryant
Simplify the rhythm at first (all downstrokes 1-2-3-4 if it's just strumming) and play at half speed while you sing. Practise til you can play that at full speed. This is to get the chord changes down. Then play the song normally but at half speed and keep it up til you can do it all together at full speed.
>.< I've been playing for like a year and I can do that.

Uh, just start on a song with an easy rythm, like 6/8, and work your way up to more complicated stuff.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE