Whats the purpose of a zero fret?

Does it replace the need of a string tree or something?

Any disadvantages?
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
I think this has been done before. I can't tell you about it at all though, other than it goes in front of the nut.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.

Quoting Vigier:

"A zero fret has always been fitted on all of our instruments. This slightly higher fret’s role is to even open or fretted string notes, ensure perfect string height, minimize string friction and help avoid detuning, especially when using the tremolo. Now, thanks to new technology, we’ve been able to harden it so it lasts longer and make it removable so it’s easier to replace if needed."
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
It uses a fret where the nut should be and it has a nut behind the 1st fret. This makes fretted notes sound the same as open notes. It gets rid of the extra power and sustain that you typically get from open string. Jazz players tend to love zero fret, folk players hate it. Rock players tend to not like all that much but there are always exceptions.
Not taking any online orders.
From the Internet:

On an instrument with a "zero fret", the traditional slotted nut still controls the strings spacing but the zero fret (which is actually fret wire) now controls the height of the strings above the frets. The strings will lay directly on the zero fret and string height will be adjusted by filing or replacing the zero fret instead of cutting the slots in the nut deeper.

On instruments with zero frets the scale length is measured from the zero fret to the saddle as opposed to the nut to saddle.

Technically speaking, when you play a C chord, for example, some notes of the chord are fretted others are open. This means the fretted notes rest upon a fret when resonating and the open notes rest upon a bone/plastic nut. When fretting that chord on an instrument with a zero fret, all strings, even the open ones rest upon a fret.

Now, take that and run with it.

Theoretically you could argue that this sounds like a very good thing, but in the real world you'll find a variety of opinions

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_fret
Oh, okay thanks.

bonsais, how long does a zero fret last? Do they wear often?
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Quote by Teh GIR
Oh, okay thanks.

bonsais, how long does a zero fret last? Do they wear often?

That depends on the quality of the zero fret, what strings you use, your playing style and how much you play the guitar; I believe I saw somewhere that the average lifetime of a Vigier zero fret is about two years (lost the source...).
Quote by Bonsaischaap
That depends on the quality of the zero fret, what strings you use, your playing style and how much you play the guitar; I believe I saw somewhere that the average lifetime of a Vigier zero fret is about two years (lost the source...).

Two years?! THat's hardly anything.

Normal nuts last for decades and are still playable, provided no serious accidents happen.

*not buying Vigier evar in my lyf*
^^Which is why I don't like them. A quality nut lasts longer and is easier to replace... and cheaper. Zero frets become pitted far too soon for my liking.
On a side note: jazz players like zero frets? News to me... I know one or two jazzers (out of a dozen or so) that own guitars with zero frets. Everyone else I know except one rock guitarist generally avoids them.
The world lasted this long without a zero fret xD It's called play good and you won't need it. I think it's horrible looking as well.
Quote by sashki
Two years?! THat's hardly anything.

Normal nuts last for decades and are still playable, provided no serious accidents happen.

*not buying Vigier evar in my lyf*

Well, they're not hard to replace and they're pretty easy to get. If you get a few when you buy a Vigier you'll be set for ages.

Also, the awesomeness of Vigier guitars makes up for the somewhat short life expectancy of the zero fret

BTW: saski, forgive me for being more than incredibly slow answering the question you asked me in my profile. I'll get round to giving it a proper reply eventually and I haven't forgotten about it.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Well, they're not hard to replace and they're pretty easy to get. If you get a few when you buy a Vigier you'll be set for ages.

Also, the awesomeness of Vigier guitars makes up for the somewhat short life expectancy of the zero fret

BTW: saski, forgive me for being more than incredibly slow answering the question you asked me in my profile. I'll get round to giving it a proper reply eventually and I haven't forgotten about it.

Vigier guitars seem like piece of crap to me. They probably make low quality nuts (like most junk guitar companies) and cover their ass with zero fret and blow the whole "sits on a fret even open" thing out of proportion. It isn't necessary.
Quote by nan0
Vigier guitars seem like piece of crap to me. They probably make low quality nuts (like most junk guitar companies) and cover their ass with zero fret and blow the whole "sits on a fret even open" thing out of proportion. It isn't necessary.

Vigier are high quality handmade to order French guitars. They're on the same level as companies like Tom Anderson and they don't cheap out on parts...
Lol, I love how the warrenty is two years.

These things look gross, atleast cheap guitars are covered in fancy paint and plastic. The quality looks nasty and the paint jobs.
Quote by nan0

These things look gross, atleast cheap guitars are covered in fancy paint and plastic. The quality looks nasty and the paint jobs.

Let's not turn this thread into a discussion on the quality of Vigier guitars.
Quote by nan0

Have you ever played one?

Then dont say anything.
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Quote by nan0

Please tell me you are smarter than that statment.

The zero fret is just fret wire. Fret wire wears out, it's a fact of life. I play a lot of open chords and I replace my 2nd, and 3rd frets every 3 or 4 years. Now think about the fact that every single chord you play rests on and wears our your zero fret. That zero fret gets 10 times the use of my 2nd and 3rd frets and would still last 2 years. Thats not bad if you think about it.

In the end it's all down to tone. If you want the tone you get from zero fret guitars then get a zero fret guitar and deal with the wear and tear. I like the tone from a standard nut and would never dream of getting a zero fret but that's a personal oppinion.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Teh GIR
Have you ever played one?

Then dont say anything.

Don't mind him; he's just trying to piss people off... He's doing the same thing in the "What's your favorite Caparison" thread (or maybe he hates all the brands I like ).
wait, if you don't like the zero fret but like the rest of the guitar, couldn't you move the nut to the position of the zero fret (probably easier if you're putting in an LSR roller nut or something)?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i thought the ones on their site looked pretty cool.
anyway, back on topic, i've noticed that during some situations i really love the open string sound. other times (when it isn't practical or possible to hit the fifth fret or i'm on the low e), i wish i could stop the open strings from overpowering the others. especially during certain bass riffs. i might look into getting a bass or guitar that has one. or i could just work on my playing a little more. i could probably improve my touch a little more.