hey. i was looking at the kustom defender and it looks pretty good for the price and sounds pretty good on youtube. does anyone have any experience with this amp? im looking at playing a bit of classic rock and rock
Is should suit your style almost perfectly.
I was going to get one, but didn't for a couple reasons (price - my current amp is cheaper, plug as I'd be buying it from the EU, too loud, etc.)
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
i have one. i like it. if you're after an amp with a great clean channel that gets a little dirty, its a great choice. personally, all i want from an amp is cleans; i'd rather use my pedals for dirty sounds, and this does that task very well. mine breaks up too a nice growly clean right around the level my band plays at, so its pretty perfect really. i would recommend it. comes with russian ehx pre-amp tubes too, which is pretty nice.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
i have one. i like it. if you're after an amp with a great clean channel that gets a little dirty, its a great choice. personally, all i want from an amp is cleans; i'd rather use my pedals for dirty sounds, and this does that task very well. mine breaks up too a nice growly clean right around the level my band plays at, so its pretty perfect really. i would recommend it. comes with russian ehx pre-amp tubes too, which is pretty nice.

is it good for guns n roses type stuff with a boost? i have a bad monkey
hey thanks for the help dudes. i think i might get this amp now. i was just wondering if its true that singlecoils wont get a nice fat sound and that you need humbuckers to do that?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I've never tried one but I was always under the impression that they are voiced more for metal stuff??

not in the slightest. its a one channel amp. that channel can get fairly dirty, but its still a dirty clean channel. i mean, its best sounds are when you flick the master volume bypass and just turn it up and get a broken up clean sound. it will not do metal. won't even do much in the way of overdriven rock sounds without an overdrive in front.
This amp is fantastic, and is really good for whatever you want, so long as you have the right effects, because it stays clean at such a high volume, therefore giving you a lot of blank slate to work with. Just got one off of ebay for $350 after playing one at a local store, and i couldn't be happier. a GREAT amp all around, and I couldn't recommend this more as an excellent value, and an amazing sounding amp.
If its anything like the coupe series then the lead channel will do some decent metal.
Quote by Tackleberry
If its anything like the coupe series then the lead channel will do some decent metal.

it isn't. its single channel. there is no metal.
How loud is that thing? Comparing to an Epi VJ I currently have, for example.

I'm basically looking for a nice practice amp. The thing that attracted me to the VJ was the simplicity and now I miss the master volume, eq/tone control... Reverb would be nice to have too. I use the amp just to play around at home, so I don't need the 50W (hardly even the loud 5W VJ delivers) but I wonder if too much power will be the next thing annoying me...

Thanks for your opinions!