Hi,

I've just bought a tele body and a 22 fret strat neck, and I seem to have a few issues. These are not licensed Fender things.

Firstly, the neck pocket of the Tele is: 57mm wide, 19mm deep. The heel of the neck I have bought is advertised as 56mm wide and 27mm deep. Will they work?

The second issue I have, is the scale length of the neck is said to be 12 3/4" from the nut to the 12th fret, whilst the scale length from the 12th to the 21st fret is 12 3/8". Now, added together that makes 31.125", and apparently strats and teles have a scale length from nut to bridge of 25 1/2" - so how does it work out that just the neck is longer than the normal scale length of neck and bridge?

Thanks in advance for any help.
George
I say that near on a centimetre of extra neck isn't going to make the guitar play ideally, but I'm not much for modifying- it could work. I doubt that having a neck bigger than the pocket for it is a good idea though. But I'm not much for putting guitars together from scratch; I like to buy a body and neck (in one piece) then add bits.

Also, I'm guessing that the 12th to 21st fret scale length is a lie. 12-21 should be way shorter than 0-12, since in principle 12-24 should be half the length of 0-12 on a perfect neck. Pythagoras' theory of harmonics says so.

I'd take a tape measure to the neck; see what the actual numbers are.
Hi,

The chap emailed back and said it was a mistake on the neck - it's a direct replacement for Fender ones and the actual scale length is 25.5".

If the neck is right, then I guess the pocket on the body is wrong. But, looking around the web, look at this:

The neck measurement (in my case 27mm tall) has to be larger than the depth anyway (in my case 19mm).

If that doesn't work, I'll have to mill out some more depth into the pocket.
George