Page 1 of 2
Ok. I recently picked up on Ibanez guitars after playing a few at my local guitar store. I wanna buy one, but I'm not sure which would be best for the money, and that would last a while. I heard the 'S Prestige' is their best achievemnt for less than $1,300. So, if you own a few, or know much about buying them, all help would be appreciated.

I don't wanna spend more than $1,200 if possible, and I don't really like tremolo bridges that much, but I can deal with them if the guitar is nice. 3 Pickups is a nice addition if at all possible.

-Thanks
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

If you don't want a tremolo why not get a a PRS or Gibson?

The Ibanez RG's sound up your alley. The 2620 is around your price as well. They're pretty cool.
Nan0, thank you for your input. I just like the speed and feel of the Ibanez for when I play metal. I have a Gibson LP Studio, and I've never really liked PRS's (Don't ask why, I'm not completely sure lol).I don't play a lot ripping distorted solos, but when I do, I like a very fast neck like on the RG's that I've played.

Landerson, I know there's probably better, but the only Ibanez I've owned is a 1988, so I thought I'd get a newer one. Plus, I like them for playing metal. My LP just isn't a "Thrash and Shred" kind of guitar, and my TAT is gonna need replaced soon.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

Quote by landerson
advice- dont get an ibanez. you can get something much better with a $1200 budget

i think ibanez's necks are really nice, and they are pretty cheap for the quality...
If you would rather not have the tremelo, get the RGA121.

Thats an EXCELLENT guitar. Plus the natural color schemes are just flat out sexy.

Killer player, and excellent upper fret access.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RGA121-Electric-Guitar-512220-i1173380.gc
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by HighPotency
In this case i'll have to recommend the jackson SL3 soloist.

I agree, Jacksons = The metal guitar gods, these things are ****ing awesome, so fast and easy to play. Very Metal.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Thanks ClassicAxe. And PwrMax, thanks for the input, but the whole point of this thread is that I want to try an Ibanez. Not any other brand. But thanks for your suggestion.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

Quote by HighPotency
In this case i'll have to recommend the jackson SL3 soloist.

+1111111111111111111111111111111111
ohai little sig.
I completely agree with ClassicAxe. You should get that guitar.

And nothing beats ibanez pff.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
id say the RGA121 or look into the PGM301 if you can wait and save an extra $100
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Aug 25, 2008,
Quote by CaparisonCore
Thanks ClassicAxe. And PwrMax, thanks for the input, but the whole point of this thread is that I want to try an Ibanez. Not any other brand. But thanks for your suggestion.

You shouldn't try to limit yourself, you'll find there's other brands with just as good or better deals, but if you want an Ibanez, smeh. If I was looking for a new guitar I'd probably limit myself to one brand aswel.
Hopefully you can find yourself a good guitar.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by CaparisonCore
Ok. I recently picked up on Ibanez guitars after playing a few at my local guitar store. I wanna buy one, but I'm not sure which would be best for the money, and that would last a while. I heard the 'S Prestige' is their best achievemnt for less than $1,300. So, if you own a few, or know much about buying them, all help would be appreciated.

I don't wanna spend more than $1,200 if possible, and I don't really like tremolo bridges that much, but I can deal with them if the guitar is nice. 3 Pickups is a nice addition if at all possible.

-Thanks

This springs to mind:

The Ibanez PGM301

Seriously though, there's a lot more to it than just being pictured with a hot chick.

It can be found for slightly over your budget and it should be what you're looking for: fixed bridge, HSH configuration (DiMarzio), nice maple fretboard, Prestige quality and PG's signature F-Holes.

If you ask me, it's one of the best and most versatile guitars in Ibanez' current line up.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Aug 25, 2008,
I think that's what I'll go for then. Thank you very very much. That was exactly what I was looking for.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

Quote by CaparisonCore
I think that's what I'll go for then. Thank you very very much. That was exactly what I was looking for.

By the way, if you decide to get it, look at www.ibanezrules.com

They're pretty good in terms of pricing (ZZsounds offers the PGM for about 100$ less) but their amazing in terms of setup.

If you want your guitar to be in the absolute best condition it can be, order it from that site.
Get a used J-Custom.

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Get a used J-Custom.

While those are great, they can be hard to find and they have a trem.
Of course, a guitar can have a trem and you don't need to use it. You don't even need to install the whammy bar. But you will need to deal with a floating bridge when changing strings. In exchange, you get something that never goes out of tune. And you can always stick the bar in if you feel the need to wham.

I personally happen to like the Ibanez guitars in your price range (but not below it). Try a few out, something is sure to grab your fancy and take you home with it.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
While those are great, they can be hard to find and they have a trem.

I don't think all of them have trems?

Even if they do, just put a piece of wood in there and take off the locking nuts, can still change tunings all you want.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I don't think all of them have trems?

Even if they do, just put a piece of wood in there and take off the locking nuts, can still change tunings all you want.

w00t you're back! Where is teh NAD pr0n though (just kiddin' btw, we've all seen it)

And everyone else not recommending an Ibanez, gtfo please.

bonsaischaap suggestion is good, but I'd also look at the RGA121 + new pickups for metal.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
the only S worth buying these days is the S5470, because it's MIJ.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
In my opinion ibanez are better at making low budget guitars, as in, most of their 1000$+ guitars arent worth it for the money...i would say get a jackson

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
Quote by landerson
advice- dont get an ibanez. you can get something much better with a $1200 budget

he said he played it and he liked it so why don't you just let him buy a guitar that he likes.

And I do recomend the s prestige's as ive played them and they are one of ibanez's best guitars imo.
To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very thing that makes us human.
Quote by CaparisonCore

-Thanks

The PGM is right up your alley, but why no trem? You don't seem like a person who wouldn't be able to manage a trem, so it really shouldn't be a big impediment in your use of the guitar. I'd give old stock RG2550 or RG2570 a look - both should run under a grand, and with the Edge Pro you can add something like a tremol-no to lock the bridge in place with the ability to momentarily unlock it if you ever decide to use it.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
I just prefer no trem, which is funny 'cause my main guitars are Caparison's with the Schaller Floyd, lol, but I don't use them, and it's a hassle to fix and replace strings since I don't need it.

But thank you very much Pifty, I'm looking into the RG2570. I still think I'll probably go for the PGM301 though. It seems to suit me best except the bolt-on board, but I can live with that lol.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

It's just that compared to the RG, the PGM has retail DiMarzio pickups (which you may like or dislike), and a maple board, but doesn't have the very good trem and a tone control. It also costs almost half a grand more. So unless the maple board is completely essential to you, or you're in love with how the PGM looks, the RG gives you more guitar for less money.

Making a stoptail out of a trem is fairly easy, and you get much better tuning stability from a fixed floyd than from a simple fixed bridge.

P.S. HEEEY, these are my guitars in that icon. Go find yer own.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Wow, I actually did not know that. Hmm. I think an RG would be in better taste then. It's not too hard to make a fixed Floyd is it? I've never done it before.

Well anyway, thank you very much for your suggestion.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

Blocking the trem with a temol-no is a minute's job, and you get to keep the full use of your trem if you ever want to use it. Other than that, RG and PGM have the same body carve and neck profile, and both come off the same factory, as such they have essentially the same feel.

I'm no huge afficionado of maple fretboards, so for me it would be a no-brainer which to get, but then again - your mileage may vary. I find that the most dedicated PGM fans tend to like the way they look first and everything else second.
Quote by CaparisonCore
Nan0, thank you for your input. I just like the speed and feel of the Ibanez for when I play metal. I have a Gibson LP Studio, and I've never really liked PRS's (Don't ask why, I'm not completely sure lol).I don't play a lot ripping distorted solos, but when I do, I like a very fast neck like on the RG's that I've played.

Landerson, I know there's probably better, but the only Ibanez I've owned is a 1988, so I thought I'd get a newer one. Plus, I like them for playing metal. My LP just isn't a "Thrash and Shred" kind of guitar, and my TAT is gonna need replaced soon.

Landerson... Nan0... YOU JUST GOT PWNED!!!
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Well the only problem is that I just don't want a trem. I will NEVER use it, so all it's gonna do is cause a hassle for changing strings. I own a few Caparison's, all with Schaller Floyd's, and there's all my trem's right there. Plus, I don't like trem's much anyway, but I LOVE Caparison's. So, really it's just the fact that I need to get it without the trem, or turn it into a fixed Floyd.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

Ah, never say never. Plus, when all is said, a fixed floyd still holds tuning better than anything else.
Ok. Thank you. I just have to find someone who knews how to turn a Floyd Trem into a fixed Floyd, lol. And I'm getting an RG2550 like what you suggested. I'm gonna order it tonight. Thank you very much.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

Just keep in mind that you don't want to get an RG2550Z, you want just a 2550. The new Zs have a new Edge Zero trem which, while good, is a bitch to block. What you want is a guitar with an Edge Pro trem.
Quote by necrophagist!
he said he played it and he liked it so why don't you just let him buy a guitar that he likes.

And I do recomend the s prestige's as ive played them and they are one of ibanez's best guitars imo.

He also asked for advice so i thought id give him some advice.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
This springs to mind:

The Ibanez PGM301

Actually, I'd take the hot chick over the guitar.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
that tremel-no thing is cool, how much do they cost? i want one for my RG! hahaha

And TS, as suggested before both the high end RGs like the 2550/A121 and the PGM301 will be freakin awesome. I love my ibanez.
Page 1 of 2