I've been playing guitar for a while now and I've decided to learn how to read sheet music.

I bought a book a few weeks ago and so far I have learned timings, note durations, rests the notes in the key of C major.

I have a question though, How can you tell what fret a note is on, for example, how would I distinguish between a D note on the first fret and one on the seventh fret as they both appear identical to me.

☻/

/▌

/ \

PSN ID: Lord-MacTooth
you can't.
the note is just that note. Play the one that is easier to play.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Don't think of strings, think of notes. On a piano keyboard there's only 1 way to play a note but a guitar has 6 strings, making your life a little easier. You have multiple ways of playing one note so just play whatever needs less shifting.
You might see a position indication above the measures in question. That's what is done in classical guitar manuscript. Like for eighth position you'd get VIII---------| over the measures.

Reading Notes for Guitar by David Oakes is a great reading booking for contemporary guitar that gets you reading notes throughout 12 frets. The Berklee books by William Leavett (sp?) work their way through all the positions as well.

Keep at it. There's no D note at the 1st fret.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Storm Stenvold
~ http://www.guitarteacher.com
~ See It, Hear It, Play It!
~ Free Video Guitar Lessons, Jam Tracks + More!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote by firstnamestorm
You might see a position indication above the measures in question. That's what is done in classical guitar manuscript. Like for eighth position you'd get VIII---------| over the measures.

Reading Notes for Guitar by David Oakes is a great reading booking for contemporary guitar that gets you reading notes throughout 12 frets. The Berklee books by William Leavett (sp?) work their way through all the positions as well.

Keep at it. There's no D note at the 1st fret.

There is if you're tuned to Drop C#.
Sheet music is not designed for guitar, and to be honest, unless you play another instrument or sing or compose, there's not a huge benefit to learning to sight read.
Most guitar sheet music is played in a single position on the fretboard, so typically you play the note that falls in that range.
Hey greekorican5,
I recommend Guitar Freak Workstation with SightReader Master.
It's totally adjustable to the users level and works on reading notes with rhythms. I've looked around and there's nothing for guitar or bass software that deals with sight-reading but this. The download site with some info is www.prolevelguitar.com
PS it does chords as well. From what I can see, you can upgrade the software to a whole bunch of tools I haven't seen before... there's some videos on them.