I've just found out about these and wondering what you thought of them.

Anyone own one?
Played one?
In general about them?

Thanks In Advance,
KieronC07
I'm pretty sure that's a guitar bro.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
it's a bass
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
no its a bass
I think its what joe perry used on back in the saddle
He came, He played guitar, he kicked some ass Dimebag Darrell 1966 to 2004
Quote by Dark_Raven10

Did you read the title?
"Fender Bass VI"

On topic: Can you try it out? I played one unplugged and it felt pretty good.
played an original run Fender VI, one of the test models actually.

*recieves your awe*

the neck feels alright, more like a P than a j in feel, but with really tight spacing. fingerstyle is tough, chords are easier due to the shorter scale. the pickups aren't very good at picking up the sub level lows, but are nice sounding, seem strong enough to punch through the mix but able to get a decent thump too. however, it was not very versatile, seemed to have the intonation off kinda, and the strings were a little stiff.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
yes. it is definitely better. however, Jack Bruce used one to great effect in Creams debut, Fresh Cream. so it can work.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
yes. it is definitely better. however, Jack Bruce used one to great effect in Creams debut, Fresh Cream. so it can work.

Eric Haydock used one in the early 60s with Hollies who were the band Graham Nash left to join up with Crosby and Stills to form CSN,
BTW he offered 'Marakash' Express to the Hollies who turned it down.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by KieronC07
so would you say its better at being a guitar than a bass

Not really it's a stretched Fender Jaguar in appearance, side by side there is a vast diference in scale length.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Dark_Raven10

Quote by DOA12345
no its a bass
I think its what joe perry used on back in the saddle

First of all, it's really a baritone guitar.

Quote by the humanity
played an original run Fender VI, one of the test models actually.

*recieves your awe*

the neck feels alright, more like a P than a j in feel, but with really tight spacing. fingerstyle is tough, chords are easier due to the shorter scale. the pickups aren't very good at picking up the sub level lows, but are nice sounding, seem strong enough to punch through the mix but able to get a decent thump too. however, it was not very versatile, seemed to have the intonation off kinda, and the strings were a little stiff.

Second of all, it's a 35 inch scale with 15 frets.

Third of all, it has a Whammy bar.

Fourth of all, I've never played one, but thats what I know about them.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Aug 25, 2008,
it definitely was more like 30. (EDIT:guitarcenter.com says 30.3)
the one I played did not have it's whammy on it, sadly, though there was the little hole.
and there was not 15 frets.

I think you are confusing it with the Fender V, I don't know how long that boy's neck is but it does have 15 frets. but no whammy.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Last edited by the humanity at Aug 25, 2008,
Quote by Captain Insano
Second of all, it's a 35 inch scale with 15 frets.

Third of all, it has a Whammy bar.

Fourth of all, I've never played one, but thats what I know about them.

The Bassa V has the 15 frets, but it's a 34" scale. The VI is a hair over 30 and the new version with 2 pickups and no whammy is just above 27 and is pure baritone.

But it's usefulness as a bass is very limited. It's essentially a full guitar, one octave lower. It's purpose, apparently, was to double Nashville guitar lines.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
yes. it was an attempt by fender to combat the 6-string dano longhorn. it worked minimally well. but was not as suited to tic tac I believe.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Without getting into a long winded discussion lets get two things clear the Bass VI was a pure out and out bass, it did work and produce true bass tones as a standard four string bass should.
There was never anything lacking regarding bass tone on the 'Hollies' records and live shows nor on the Cream shows.
I opted for a Burns Guitar scale 6 string Bass in 1963 due to the price differential.
I currently own a 1962 Burns 6 string Bass; trust me it works.
The 60s Fender Bass V was E to C, quite frankly not many speakers would have stood up to a bottom B in those days.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
it's a baritone guitar, and they look fun. It's not a traditional guitar OR a bass..it's designed to be both!

The guy from Staind uses a LOT of Baritone guitar, and the fender ones look hot. Watch some youtube videos, or better off, try one in a store! I have decided that I am getting one when I have the disposable income, because I switched to abss after 15 years of playing guitar...
Quote by Anjohl
it's a baritone guitar, and they look fun. It's not a traditional guitar OR a bass..it's designed to be both!

The guy from Staind uses a LOT of Baritone guitar, and the fender ones look hot. Watch some youtube videos, or better off, try one in a store! I have decided that I am getting one when I have the disposable income, because I switched to abss after 15 years of playing guitar...

I have a mid 60s Fender catalogue it features both the Bass VI and the Bass V I played a Bass VI around 1963 did you? I very much doubt it. In recent years I played one of the reissues, sorry to sound authoritive but if you weren't there and don't know don't post.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn