My dad says it's important to learn how to sing and play every song at the same time. I can sing to some songs, like songs that are just chords, for example another brick in the wall. I can't sing along to songs like whole lotta love. But in that song, the guitarist isn't singing....so why do I have to? I can't sing either. My dad says it makes you a better guitarist and I know it does, but for songs like that do you have to play and sing along? I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to ask....
its up to you really, if you can handle a song singing and playing try it, but if not you don't really have to, its your choice really. i can only play and sing easy songs too.
Yea really concentrate on songs where the singer plays guitar. Your really setting yourself up to fail if your going to attempt sing Robert Plant while playing Jimmy Page. Dave Matthews will get you into shape. And while "Crash into Me" might be the ultimate frat boy song to sing and play, once I was able to sing and play that at the same time, I really could sing anything and play at the same time.
I (still, after everything) believe in Billy Corgan.
Quote by emily92
My dad says it's important to learn how to sing and play every song at the same time. I can sing to some songs, like songs that are just chords, for example another brick in the wall. I can't sing along to songs like whole lotta love. But in that song, the guitarist isn't singing....so why do I have to? I can't sing either. My dad says it makes you a better guitarist and I know it does, but for songs like that do you have to play and sing along? I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to ask....

well is not that important, it's cool. and it shows your coordination skills.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
to improve your singing, just sing every chance you get. simple really

as for playing and singing, it will definitely help you in the long run
It's definitely not essential but it is always a nice thing to be able to do. It opens up more musical possiblities because even if you're not doing lead vocals you can use vocal harmonies in a band or whatever and it also means you can do solo gigs with vocals if you want.

If it doesn't bother you then I wouldn't worry about it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by MoFly41
Yea really concentrate on songs where the singer plays guitar. Your really setting yourself up to fail if your going to attempt sing Robert Plant while playing Jimmy Page. Dave Matthews will get you into shape. And while "Crash into Me" might be the ultimate frat boy song to sing and play, once I was able to sing and play that at the same time, I really could sing anything and play at the same time.

So I should only try to sing if the singer is playing the guitar part? That would make my life sooooo much easier.
Quote by emily92
So I should only try to sing if the singer is playing the guitar part? That would make my life sooooo much easier.

Sing whenever you want to and can do it without screwing up if you're going to be playing for people. You can sing what and whenever you want; no one's going to hang you for singing and playing guitar at the same time when the original didn't.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.