im a new bass gutair player and i wanted to know if i should get a distortion pedal for it, to play punk-rock songs lik for istance blink-182 & sum 41
No, you won't; 90% of basslines are played clean. If you were playing Tool or Muse I'd say you should get one.

It's probably worth saying at this point though that generally if you have to ask if you need an effect, then you don't.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
your not going to need one, it just depends on how bad you want one. You can get them pretty cheap but I wouldnt waste the money on one unless your in a band and trying to make your own tone
Bring Back the Music

I am a gear whore... Any little odds and ends that is in the middle of nowhere, I am coming for you

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
It sounds way hot, fuzzy, and like i shoved a mic up my ass and ran up the stairs.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you were playing Dream Theater or Tool or Muse I'd say you should get one.

Fix'd.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
bass with distortion is one of the coolest things i've heard...check out pulling teeth by cliff burton, excellent bass
Quote by angelicatele
dont play blink 182 or sum 41 play some real music

Opinion fail.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by angelicatele
dont play blink 182 or sum 41 play some real music

fail

also blink182 isn't punk..their good,just not punk
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick
I keep lookin behind me,You're amazing at this

Quote by Aerokizzombie
Dam,Cent, ur repeating man scares the shit out of me, its so true

Quote by CodChick
Omg Cent,Ive been havin nightmares because of u

Quote by MCMXCII
**** you man,I was just going to bed

I'm scary
Quote by centorium
fail

also blink182 isn't punk..their good,just not punk

well there pop punk
As said before, the vast majority of bass is played clean. Learning with distortion often covers up sloppy playing, so hinders your playing in the long run.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
However, it often encourages sloppy playing, as the distortion covers up the small mistakes. Very few bassists run a distortion for more than a few little section, and often, distortion sounds horrible in the context of a song. It has to be done very well to sound good for more than a few little sections (e.g. In "For Whom The Bell Tolls, the only distorted part is the intro riff.)

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
'Around The World - Red Hot Chili Peppers'

Listen to the intro for that, then come back and tell us if you need one or not.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
'Around The World - Red Hot Chili Peppers'

Listen to the intro for that, then come back and tell us if you need one or not.

Yes, because being able to replicate the tone for one intro is truely a need for a pedal...

In fact, I have the same pedal Flea uses for that, and hate it with a passion.

Nobody ever needs a distorton for bass. However, once you become a competant player with a good ear for tone, one may be worthwile purchase to expand sonic possibilities.

Before then, it will just turn a bass into a funny noise generator.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1