I am shopping for a tube combo amp to upgrade from my practice amp.

I play mainly 70's and 80's hard rock, and Shred. I also play some clean songs, and blues.

I need something that is good for Shred, and is at least a little versatile. I am NOT looking for a metal voiced amp.

I would like to spend the LEAST amount possible for a good amp, but I think eventually I could go up to like $700-900.

I was looking at Peavey Classic 30's, and Peavey ValveKings.

I need gigging capabilities, but I don't want anything huge.

What do you guys think?
The Peavey Classic is better than the Valveking, although the VK is good it needs a speaker and valve change to be much more usable. I'd suggest the Classic with an overdrive pedal, maybe something like the he Visual Sound Double trouble, Jekyll and Hyde or the Ibanez Jemini, because they're both dual you could get harder rock sound with the OD and bordering metal with the second channel on each.
I've heard though, that buying a low gain amp to play heavier music with an overdrive, isn't as good as just buying a higher gain amp. Is this true? Or will I be happy with a Classic 30?

And my favorite guitarist is Steve Vai, so I would probably get the Jemini.

Are there any other amps you could tell me about?
Quote by TheArcadeFire
I've heard though, that buying a low gain amp to play heavier music with an overdrive, isn't as good as just buying a higher gain amp. Is this true? Or will I be happy with a Classic 30?

Well there is some truth in that, quite a lot actually, you'll have trouble driving a Fender (other than the Supersonic, they're different) into metal etc. Are you willing to go secondhand? Because if you look around you could get a used Mesa Boogie F-30 within that budget, and they're great amps.
Well I'm not a metal head by any means. I have just tried Classic 30's, and I found them to not have very much gain on tap. I like a nice heavy rock drive, and shred tone.

I'll check out that F30. Although, if it sounds anything like a Rectifier, I already don't like it.
Marshall DSL-401.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
Quote by SweetsForLife
Marshall DSL-401.

I have one, its ok, but I think he can get better for the price. Its not a bad amp by any means, though its not the easiest amp to get metal tones out of. Apart from Alex Skolnick who uses DSL100's, but they're hard rock amps, not metal.
Quote by minibrowny
I have one, its ok, but I think he can get better for the price. Its not a bad amp by any means, though its not the easiest amp to get metal tones out of. Apart from Alex Skolnick who uses DSL100's, but they're hard rock amps, not metal.

Channel: OD-2
Gain: 7
Treble: 8
Bass: 4
Middle: 6
Volume: 4 (Pre-amp volume on OD channel)
Master: However you want

Gives me a decent metal rhythm tone.
$700-900? What corner of earth do you live in? Seriously what major city do you live near? And you contradicted yourself, lots of gain is a priority or no?
Traynor YCV50BLUE...great reviews on that amp. It gives a marshally sound or so I heard
"(Monster cable)....oh they're durable. You can
tie up people with it
"

- Slash
You could probably find a used Carvin Legacy combo in your price range if Steve Vai's tone is what you're after.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
I live in the U.S.A

And basically the worst place to get gear ever.

And I want SHRED tone. Not metal. (Yngwie, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Etc.

I play 70's and 80's rock. I don't need a boatload of distortion, but a C30 can't do shred very well.

I am just giving a rough estimate on the budget here.

I only have roughly $300 right now.
Thing is, I'd have to wait a hell of a long time to get either of those...

Maybe something cheaper?

Although I don't doubt they would kick ass.
Quote by TheArcadeFire
I live in the U.S.A

I play 70's and 80's rock. I don't need a boatload of distortion, but a C30 can't do shred very well.

I am just giving a rough estimate on the budget here.

seriously u dont no how lucky you are...
trying living in Australia to find gear. ITs around twice the price as over in the states
Quote by TheArcadeFire
Thing is, I'd have to wait a hell of a long time to get either of those...

Maybe something cheaper?

Although I don't doubt they would kick ass.

If you want something good you're going to have to shell out, that's the brutal truth of the matter...$300 doesn't get you an awful lot.

Traynor YCV50 Blue is perfect for you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I wasn't planning on spending only $300. He was recommending Carvins, which are $1200..

I really like the tone of the Classic 30. And I've seen Youtube videos of them pulling off higher gain sounds.

Right now, my local shop has 3 classic 30's, 2 classic 50's, and a delta blues in stock. I am going to see if I can trade in my drum set, and give them some cash for it. That way I could get it ASAP. I'm REALLY getting tired of my practice amp.

Can anyone give me some good shred/ metal EQ settings I could try?
Quote by TheArcadeFire
I live in the U.S.A

OK more contradictions. You live in the US, I asked where because if you look on craigslist you find gear at roughly 40-50% off, depending on what part of the US. SO if you could be more specific, like Pocotello Idaho, or Billings Montana, that would be helpful.
You also stated 700-900, which is a world away from 300. So, which price range should we look in? I'm guessing $300 because you are sick of your practice amp.
I'm not a huge classic 30 fan, they are good amps and alot of people love them - I'm just not one of those people.
The Traynor YCV50 would be a good amp for you to try. If you tell us what major US city you live near, maybe I can find you a used one close to your budget.
Edit: Setting will vary by the type of guitar you are using, your ears will be the best guide to how to set the amp you are trying. Just take a little time and tweek them to suit your needs.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 26, 2008,
Quote by TheArcadeFire
I wasn't planning on spending only $300. He was recommending Carvins, which are $1200..

I really like the tone of the Classic 30. And I've seen Youtube videos of them pulling off higher gain sounds.

Right now, my local shop has 3 classic 30's, 2 classic 50's, and a delta blues in stock. I am going to see if I can trade in my drum set, and give them some cash for it. That way I could get it ASAP. I'm REALLY getting tired of my practice amp.

Can anyone give me some good shred/ metal EQ settings I could try?

For a good shred sound you don't want too much gain and you want plenty of midrange clarity.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I say go for maybe a used Peavey JSX.
Great all around amp.

Paul Gilbert used a Laney GH100l in Racer X I've heard so maybe try to snag one of those used.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by Varius Strato
What about Rivera? I have one and I very satisfied, try the Pubster.

This, or a used Mesa F30 or F50 would be excellent choices. Maybe the Carvin, too.

If there's no used gear by you, I'd strongly suggest ebay. Read the ads carefully, and only buy from users with TONS of positive feedback and you should be okay.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by gregs1020
OK more contradictions. You live in the US, I asked where because if you look on craigslist you find gear at roughly 40-50% off, depending on what part of the US. SO if you could be more specific, like Pocotello Idaho, or Billings Montana, that would be helpful.
You also stated 700-900, which is a world away from 300. So, which price range should we look in? I'm guessing $300 because you are sick of your practice amp.
I'm not a huge classic 30 fan, they are good amps and alot of people love them - I'm just not one of those people.
The Traynor YCV50 would be a good amp for you to try. If you tell us what major US city you live near, maybe I can find you a used one close to your budget.
Edit: Setting will vary by the type of guitar you are using, your ears will be the best guide to how to set the amp you are trying. Just take a little time and tweek them to suit your needs.

I live near Charlotte. But I am about an hour away. Charlotte's guitar center has hardly any amps there besides Raven, and the super expensive stuff in the sound room. So I doubt I could find anything there..

And no... I never said I was looking in the 300 price range. If you would read my posts... I have about 300 right now, but I am willing to save up. I was going to see if my local music shop would take a trade on one of their C30's because if so, I could get an amp straight away. If not, then I would wait, and save up.
Quote by TheArcadeFire
I live near Charlotte. But I am about an hour away. Charlotte's guitar center has hardly any amps there besides Raven, and the super expensive stuff in the sound room. So I doubt I could find anything there..

And no... I never said I was looking in the 300 price range. If you would read my posts... I have about 300 right now, but I am willing to save up. I was going to see if my local music shop would take a trade on one of their C30's because if so, I could get an amp straight away. If not, then I would wait, and save up.

I did read your posts, which is what caused the confusion. You seem like you are on the fence as to what price range to be in. Classic 30's go for about $350-$400 on the used market. IF you buy one used, you can recoup that later once you save more to buy something better. You may decide it works for you. But as stated a used Traynor YCV50 ($450 range) would work or a F-30 or F-50 mesa ($650-$750 range) would suit your needs as well.
I would check this amp out.
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/msg/802007386.html but would need a 2x12 cab to go along with it.
My point to you is, you can get an amp now used, sell it used later and get something better. People trade up all the time and you can afford to have something half way decent until you are ready to upgrade.
Quote by TheArcadeFire

a b-52 at-100 would be perfect for you, and maybe that steve vai pedal. that would get his tone right on.
Quote by convictionless
a b-52 at-100 would be perfect for you, and maybe that steve vai pedal. that would get his tone right on.

Isn't that supposed to be a Mesa clone? I don't really like Mesa Rectifiers except for heavy metal tones(Which I don't play) So if it sounds like that... then mueh...

I could definitely find one of those though, if I liked it enough.

Are the At-100 series good for shred, and lead tones?

Are they versatile? Or do they specialize in metal?
Quote by gregs1020
I did read your posts, which is what caused the confusion. You seem like you are on the fence as to what price range to be in. Classic 30's go for about $350-$400 on the used market. IF you buy one used, you can recoup that later once you save more to buy something better. You may decide it works for you. But as stated a used Traynor YCV50 ($450 range) would work or a F-30 or F-50 mesa ($650-$750 range) would suit your needs as well.
I would check this amp out.
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/msg/802007386.html but would need a 2x12 cab to go along with it.
My point to you is, you can get an amp now used, sell it used later and get something better. People trade up all the time and you can afford to have something half way decent until you are ready to upgrade.

Yeah. That sounds like a good idea to me. I'm looking at VK 112's C30's, and B-52's right now. One of those should last me until I can save for a Splawn.

The reason I was flippy floppy on the budget is because I could wait however long, and get a really great amp for like $900, but I wanted something sooner, because I am sick of my practice amp. It sounds really dry, and I believe that I am getting good enough to at least have good tone.