what are the advantages and disadvantages of jumbo frets? whats the big difference? i also have smaller hands
Easier bends and vibrato.

Don't need to push down as much.

Chords are a bit more difficult. If you press down too hard, your notes could go sharp though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
personally the only disadvantage I find is that with jumbo, i have to stretch my fingers a bit more.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Quote by Maggot3000
personally the only disadvantage I find is that with jumbo, i have to stretch my fingers a bit more.

Would you care to explain how this works to me?
whats the standard number of frets on a regular guitar? what about jumbo? i also have pretty small hands which concerns me when learning to play lol
Yeah, why do you have to stretch your fingers more? And to the other guy- why are chords harder? I find everything (including chords) harder on small vintage Fender-style frets. I'm sure it's all just a matter of preference, anyway. Although I guess it's a matter of fact that things like vibrato etc are easier with jumbo frets.
Quote by Martin Scott
Yeah, why do you have to stretch your fingers more? And to the other guy- why are chords harder? I find everything (including chords) harder on small vintage Fender-style frets. I'm sure it's all just a matter of preference, anyway. Although I guess it's a matter of fact that things like vibrato etc are easier with jumbo frets.

Mostly connected with the whole 'push down too hard and you go out of pitch' thing.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
There's really no standard number. 21, 22 and 24 are all commonplace. Jumbo fret are taller than other frets, if memory serves, and should not concern the size of your hands nearly at all.

Scale lenght would be what concerns the size of your hands. Guitars generally come in 24 3/4" or 25 1/2" scale lengths. The 24 3/4" scale guitars may end up being easier to play with small hands, but even then, your hands will adapt to a 25 1/2" guitar eventually. 25 1/2" guiars will have more string tension than 24 3/4". It all comes down to what feels better to you.
Quote by Sir Anonymous
There's really no standard number. 21, 22 and 24 are all commonplace. Jumbo fret are taller than other frets, if memory serves, and should not concern the size of your hands nearly at all.

Scale lenght would be what concerns the size of your hands. Guitars generally come in 24 3/4" or 25 1/2" scale lengths. The 24 3/4" scale guitars may end up being easier to play with small hands, but even then, your hands will adapt to a 25 1/2" guitar eventually. 25 1/2" guiars will have more string tension than 24 3/4". It all comes down to what feels better to you.

so what would you or anybody else recommend for a beginner with smaller hands? whats the difference between the 24 3/4" or 25 1/2" besides the obvious length answer. are the frets farther apart for the 25 1/5"?
Quote by spujum
so what would you or anybody else recommend for a beginner with smaller hands? whats the difference between the 24 3/4" or 25 1/2" besides the obvious length answer. are the frets farther apart for the 25 1/5"?

The difference is almost un-noticable, the only thing that can be recommended for a beginner with small hands is practice.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i just didnt know exactly what jumbo frets were or if they would be a bad idea
Quote by spujum
whats the standard number of frets on a regular guitar? what about jumbo? i also have pretty small hands which concerns me when learning to play lol

if you have small hands make sure you have good hand positioning.
don;t wrap around with ur thumb.

and like said, jumbo frets are higher. not an issue with smaller hands, just bumpy on fast runs.

if you like thin necks, check out ibanez guitars.

check out how tiny she is, and how fat the neck is.
can you say she's having any trouble? it's alll how you hold the guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRGihR71BzQ
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Aug 25, 2008,
Most of them have thin necks, yes.

That's kind of their thing.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by spujum
do all ibanez guitars have thin necks? i was kind of leaning towards this guitar

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG350DX-Electric-Guitar-519415-i1395598.gc

when you see wizard in the ibanez neck specs that's a good bet.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by spujum

Longer scale length supposedly has more tension, so you can tune down farther.
is there a certain type of music where jumbo frets give you an advantage?
Quote by spujum
do all ibanez guitars have thin necks? i was kind of leaning towards this guitar

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG350DX-Electric-Guitar-519415-i1395598.gc

The tremolo isn't very good on that guitar.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Quote by spujum
is there a certain type of music where jumbo frets give you an advantage?

No, it's all down to taste but you probably won't be able to tell the difference between jumbo frets and small frets until you get more experienced.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by QuebecMetal
The tremolo isn't very good on that guitar.

what do you mean?
Quote by spujum
what do you mean?

He means that it's made out of inferior materials so after a year or so of reasonable use the knife edge will dull and it won't return to pitch reliably.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
the bridge. it's a cheaply made system and its knife edges (which the bridge pivots on) are soft metal and go dull in a few months. luckily it can be replaced by the Original Floyd Rose with little to no work done to the body.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
the bridge. it's a cheaply made system and its knife edges (which the bridge pivots on) are soft metal and go dull in a few months. luckily it can be replaced by the Original Floyd Rose with little to no work done to the body.

well that doesnt sound very good lol
Quote by spujum

I own both a 25.5" scale Les Paul, and a 24.75" scale Les Paul, and the difference in distance between the frets is microscopic. From the nut to the first fret is less than a mm longer, and from there on, the difference gets less and less. The big difference is really just string tension.