ive been improvising for about 2 weeks and can see a bit of improvement but how long did it take you guys to become good at improv.
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by Conca
ive been improvising for about 2 weeks and can see a bit of improvement but how long did it take you guys to become good at improv.

About 8 years.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
About 8 years.
serious?!
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Who cares just keep going. Thats the great thing about guitar you can look forward to learning your whole life. I dont think Ill ever be satisfied with my abilities. Just learn all you can and enjoy the ride.
cuz my mate has been playing 2 and a half years and he's amazing
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Four years. But "good" is speculative; all players, no matter what their achievements, should always strive to become better.
good is a relative term. Compare your mate now to how well he'll be able to play with another five and a half years practice.
Si
^ +1

i've been improvising for around 10 years now and am what i would consider decent. satch, vai, gilbert, those guys are good. and btw, i don't think the whole "i've been playing for 3 years so i'm good now" frame of mind should apply.
right ill rephrase it then:

how long will it take for me to do a solo in pent. and it sound half decent
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Simple pentatonic solos are easy. I'd say around two years..? Obviously, though, you continue to grow as a musician in areas such as phrasing, etc, for as long as you play.
like half a year to a year depending on how much you practice for you to pass it off as decent.
"Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks."
- Dr. Dre
Simple pentatonic solos are easy. I'd say around two years..? Obviously, though, you continue to grow as a musician in areas such as phrasing, etc, for as long as you play.
thanks that what i was asking for cheers mate
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
like half a year to a year depending on how much you practice for you to pass it off as decent.
well i usually practice 6 hours a day in the holidays apart from when i go out but i always practice everyday.

in school term i usually practice in music lessons and about 4 hours when i get home.

i also have no teacher.

btw am i practicing too much? (if there's such a thing)
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
^ please be aware that every guitar player is different and i have a friend who has been playing about a year longer than me (which puts him at 14 years or so) and he still cant do a simple pentatonic solo. and then there are the 7 year old savants (i hate them so much) that blow me out of the water (seriously, i hate them) so it might take a month to get good at pentatonics or it might take a couple of years.
If you practice soloing in pent over a chord progression for an hour everyday spend further time improving your technique with good technique exercises and some time learning other solo's to learn how to put that technique into practice - say up to three hours a day total practice time. I'd say six months two weeks three days four hours six minutes and thirty two seconds and then you should be coming up with some half decent solos. (margin of error +- 8 years).

Seriously though, record yourself now and then again in six months and compare the two. You'll feel really good about your progress in six months time. You will always be your own worst critic though and will always want to get better than you currently are.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
I'd say six months two weeks three days four hours six minutes and thirty two seconds and then you should be coming up with some half decent solos. (margin of error +- 8 years).

try minusing 8 years from that
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
^Subtracting*

And soloing can take a lifetime to master, there's always something new to be learned. Incorporating new theoretical concepts into your soloing. Most people have a problem with their phrasing, or at least aren't satisfied with it.