I've written a song with an E chord progression and need too write a solo with a Phygrian scale cuz it sounds cool.

Do i use an E phygrian or A flat phygrian (cuz a flats third interval of e major)???
E Phrygian. Make sure your chord progression is minor and will work with Phrygian (check the theory sticky).
just use the root of your chord E and the phrygian scale in the key of E (but i think its called a mode if its phrygian one of my little musci barrirers atm) and yo hve yourself a solo over your chord progression
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Quote by manish777
I've written a song with an E chord progression and need too write a solo with a Phygrian scale cuz it sounds cool.

The mode is defined by the chord progression. You would use E phrygian, but only if the progression specifies a b2. Modes are not something you pick and choose whenever you want to spice up a solo, they are used over progressions specifically designed for them. Most likely, your progression is just in E minor, so use E minor. If you want to play phrygian, create a modal vamp (either consisting over a single chord, or a simple progression such as i-II-III)

If you don't understand what any of this means, you aren't ready for modes. Focus on learning the major scale all over the neck, in every key, and the theory behind it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
It depends on what chord the rhythm guitar is playing during your solo. Can you tell us what chord you will be playing over?

If its just E Major you will be playing E Phrygian dominant.

If its something like..

Em - FM - Em - GM - Em (ish), that will be Phrygian. You tell.. the Em -> FM sounds soo phrygian.
Quote by manish777

Do i use an E phygrian or A flat phygrian (cuz a flats third interval of e major)???
Depends on what your chords are.

If aiming to play just one scale over the whole progression, than I agree with Archeo. You may have the wrong chords to play phrygian over that progression. I may post how I write modal progressions, but only if someone is interested.

But if your planning on playing the changes (that is play a different scale or mode over each different chord), than play Phrygian over each minor chord. E phrygian is played over the E minor chords, A phrygian over the A minor chords, but dont play a different mode to the chord (it wont sound as expected). Than you might want to play phrygian dominant over all the dominant chords (preferably the ones that function as dominant chords). But dont play phrygian (dominant or straight minor) over any major seventh chords, it sounds like crap (play lydian or ionian over these chords).
Quote by manish777
a flats third interval of e major

you're better off calling it G#, not Ab... the third of an E is always some kind of G
out of here
Quote by demonofthenight
I may post how I write modal progressions, but only if someone is interested.

I'm interested.
Quote by demonofthenight
I may post how I write modal progressions, but only if someone is interested.

Not really lol!
Last edited by mdc at Aug 26, 2008,