I'm a complete theory noob and need some help, i need to find out how to solo over the chords F major add 9th, Am7 and C. I need to know if it is possible to solo over them, what key, and what scale (i would like the pentatonic or blues scale but is it possible to use the pentatonic or blues over them chords). Please don't flame me if these are stupid questions, i have only played guitar for 8 months and not learnt much theory.
this is the stickyest incident since stick the sticky stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun
You can solo over anything bro!

I think the relative key is C,
so you should start with F Lydian,
(F-G-A-B-C-D-E-F) on the f major add 9,

Then perhaps switch to A Aeolian
(A-B-C-D-E-F-G-A)

and then c Ionian on the c

And you should be set.

You could **** around with a blues and it might sound alright. Since the Aeolian (natural minor scale) is A too.
(C-D-E-F-G-A--B-C)
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
It looks to me like your in the key of F so you could solo in the F major pentatonic or D minor pentatonic. and yes it is possible to use the blues scale over the chords also.

Yeah manmaster above me is likely more correct although you could do my suggestion I would try his first.
1990 Gibson LP Studio
2007 American Deluxe Stratocaster
2006 Taylor 510-ce
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Im pretty sure thats right. Keep in mind that you can solo over ANY PROGRESSION! At all! Even
crazy random chromatic ups and down and any of the crazy jazz **** that barely makes sense.

Also, you can use arpeggios in your solo, if you end up playing "on the chord"

Or, you could be lazy and mess around in C major until you hit some choice tones.
Quote by vintage x metal
well F major, Am, and C major are all in the F major scale. I think since its Am7 you'd have to adjust to the 7 over that specific chord. D minor is the relative minor so u could use the D blues or minor pentatonic scale, or the F major scale. I think. try it

edit: yea listen to manmaster's advice too it could also be C.
Thank you soo much, i'm doing work with a band mate and have no clue about this so thanks guys.
this is the stickyest incident since stick the sticky stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun
Could be C or F. But I dont think the pentatonics or blues scales will really cut it with this. Learn a little Modal Theory (Major Scale and its Modes) and it should sound a lot better.

Manmaster seems to have the idea.
Quote by a7xdude666
I'm a complete theory noob and need some help, i need to find out how to solo over the chords F major add 9th, Am7 and C. I need to know if it is possible to solo over them, what key, and what scale (i would like the pentatonic or blues scale but is it possible to use the pentatonic or blues over them chords). Please don't flame me if these are stupid questions, i have only played guitar for 8 months and not learnt much theory.
You could use F major or C major over these chords. Probably F major, as it looks like it resolves to F major.

You could play the changes, like manmaster said, but its only a three chord progression. If your a beginner improviser, you could easily get away with just using the one scale over the whole progression.
Quote by demonofthenight
You could use F major or C major over these chords. Probably F major, as it looks like it resolves to F major.

You could play the changes, like manmaster said, but its only a three chord progression. If your a beginner improviser, you could easily get away with just using the one scale over the whole progression.

Yeah the idea is to playing anything in key and play it expressively, the exact theory and chord/note/leading tone focusing would be much later in your career
Quote by vintage x metal