Page 1 of 2
I have only been playing for 3 months and my friends think im rubbish when i can play tunes they recognize such as stairway to heaven, phantom of the opera, purple haze to a good standard can someone please suggest anything to play which is not too hard and will my friends go WOW! YOU ARE GREAT! lol thanks
How about play for yourself and not for your friends?

If you need an ego boost, talk to yourself in a mirror.

That being said, people seem to think tapping is impressive.

Learn new songs too.
It sounds like maybe your friends are right.

Try learning Joseph Merrick by Mastodon, it's a fun little piece, and it's not too hard.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
don't play guitar to impress people, son; it makes a mockery of my (and most of UG's) unadulterated passion.

Play guitar for yourself, if they're impressed then woohoo, if not, woohoo still because you're doing what makes you happy and they can f*ck off.
necrophagist stuff isn't to hard
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
Quote by Burning Star 4
necrophagist stuff isn't to hard

Of course it isn't all you have to do is wail on your E and D strings repeatedly.
Last edited by Soroki at Aug 25, 2008,
Play some easy shredding. Like some of Slash's stuff on Night Rain.

EDIT: I just got a thought. When I was a beginner at guitar and I played stuff life Stairway to Heaven and my friends weren't impressed. I asked them to play a bit of guitar of even simpler stuff and because they had never played guitar they found even the simplest finger picking impossible.
Learn some of The Offspring's songs, a few can fun. I love to play Self-Esteem, and The Kids Aren't Alright makes some okay practice. I love that band.
Well depends what you guys listen to...
here is some stuff I like to play

Metal/rock
-bark at the moon
-...and justice for all
-Stricken(you'll need to drop down your tuning)
-Eruption
-back in black
-laid to rest
-hourglass

If your friends don't like your playing skrew 'em. My friends always bagged on me for the first year or so until I didn't give a ****. Now I'm getting song requests and such. It's best to play what YOU want, because you are playing for YOU. Even though 'classics' like the ones you mentioned are things a lot of people say you need to know its good to find songs people don't know too. Playing guitar will definately widen your taste of music. Don't fall victim to the 'top 100' tabs list.

If you want any other advice/ genres to play add me n msg me.
Oh. Sorry mate. I'm in a bad mood...it isn't helping me read at all evidently. Lol. Well, tell them to screw off. Or learn some good Randy Rhoads solos lol. Mr.Crowley's solo will wow your friends. I think you can play it ^^
Dude you're gonna suck to start of with but just practice. Though not too fast, still make sure you enjoy it. If impressing your friends really matters so much to you then maybe you're playing for the wrong reasons.

Last year in my first year at 6th Form in France I was boarding and had my guitar and a mini 2 Watt Marshall amp which had hardly any sustain and the distortion was rubbish, so basically the sound wasn't great. My friends at start probably didn't think I was much good and then they heard me on the schools 100 Watt Marshall amp their opinion changed but still the distortion was crap and they never saw me play seriously. Did I mind ? No.

Because you play for yourself and to make music and if you want to impres anyone it should be fellow musicians not people who don't and who think you're great if you play Californication or Teen Spirit or Good Riddance...
Quote by Soroki
Lol, I wholeheartedly agree with Eddie's Waitor...

Hehe cheers. I know I wrote a lot but I'm starting to get bored and there's no more wine...
Oh me ? ... Well maybe a bit too much wine, hahahaha...
Last edited by Eddie's'Waitor at Aug 25, 2008,
Oh c'mon, let's be serious here! Who drinks wine while browsing a forum? Jeeeeeez, If I was drinking alone while browsing a forum, I don't think I'd tell anybody.

May I ask what kind of crazy wine you're drinking there buddy boy?
Haha no it was earlier no worries I've stopped now, I don't get pissed on my own it's really depressing...
I really don't see the point of bringing up how inebriated one is in a forum that's not the pit is all.
learn tapping. it's easy and it's super cool. it's cooler than sweeping and just playing fast.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
The Final Countdown's solo.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Oh c'mon, let's be serious here! Who drinks wine while browsing a forum? Jeeeeeez, If I was drinking alone while browsing a forum, I don't think I'd tell anybody.

May I ask what kind of crazy wine you're drinking there buddy boy?

Lol I can drink no matter what it is I'm doing.
Ain't nothin wrong, ain't nothin right, and still I sit and lie awake all night...
Quote by Sublime Stylee

I can too but I don't go around bragging about it on a forum.
Quote by Sublime Stylee

Good man ! Have a drink on me... no wait, I drank it all. Oh well...
Only 3 months and you want others to yell "OH YOU'RE GREAT!"?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I can too but I don't go around bragging about it on a forum.

Chill brother I'm only joking. I'm actually sober, just trying to makes things a bit more fun here. And I don't need to brag about it either. I drink for my own pleisure not for others...
Quote by hminh87
Only 3 months and you want others to yell "OH YOU'RE GREAT!"?

no i just wanna play some nooby thing that my friends will think sounds awesome none of them play guitars so they dont know how easy or hard some things are to play
Haha, I was sorta in a position like yours, it was just that I was actually better than my friends, but I mostly played metal so they thought it was bad and kept pressuring me to play RHCP and Weezer stuff (lol, that's all they play still). I wanted to learn something to just get them to shut up, cause I wanted to play for myself without taking crap from them, so I learned the tapping part to Eruption.

Long story short, if your friends don't know how to tap, then learn to do that. People who don't know how to do it are always impressed by tapping hahaha. Plus it's just so much fun to do, you're getting your friends to stfu and learn something enjoyable at the same time.
Quote by RoamingConflict
In Soviet Russia, GAS deals with you.

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
Quote by ftorres9lfc
My Friends Dont Play Guitar

They don't know how to ALLCAPS either.

Just play something they'll know or you know... You could try and not be a showoff.
Page 1 of 2