Has anyone any experience with any of these guitars? I think they look fantastic, and I would love a Allan Holdsworth Fatboy Custom, but not quite sure on it yet considering i'm looking for a versatile semi-hollow guitar. I also liked the CT-6 a lot, and even though it's a solid body, could still get that. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
From what I hear, they're made quite well.

The only one I've tried was an older DC-127 and it was a very solid feeling guitar.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
From what I hear, they're made quite well.

The only one I've tried was an older DC-127 and it was a very solid feeling guitar.

Yeah, I've heard that many times as well, but I can't find hardly any info on this guitar. On Harmony Central, it's got an 9.8, but the reviews were all over the place. One guy saying it sounded muddy on distortion, and one guy saying it sounded as smooth as butter.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Quote by mlkIII
Yeah, I've heard that many times as well, but I can't find hardly any info on this guitar. On Harmony Central, it's got an 9.8, but the reviews were all over the place. One guy saying it sounded muddy on distortion, and one guy saying it sounded as smooth as butter.

If anything, a pickup swap would solve that problem anyways.
Its either because the amp they had or the pickups sucked,

But I would love to have a carvin.
I went down to their LA store a little while ago and was really impressed by the guitars I got to play. Definitely worth their asking price and beat other guitars in their price range quite handedly. Particularly the Contour 66. really good guitar that smashes Ibanezes in it's price bracket.

The thing that annoys me most is they don't hold value well. At all. It's good if you want to shop used, but if you want to get one spec'd to your liking be aware that if you get to sell it you will take a pretty nasty hit.
Quote by T!AN
I went down to their LA store a little while ago and was really impressed by the guitars I got to play. Definitely worth their asking price and beat other guitars in their price range quite handedly. Particularly the Contour 66. really good guitar that smashes Ibanezes in it's price bracket.

The thing that annoys me most is they don't hold value well. At all. It's good if you want to shop used, but if you want to get one spec'd to your liking be aware that if you get to sell it you will take a pretty nasty hit.

yeah i've heard that, but I don't plan on selling it. I heard it's the type of pickups you need to get too. There is a video on youtube of this guy playing a red Fatboy through a Line 6 Pod Pro XT, a cheap mixer, and straight into his computer, and it sounds amazing. He's doing tehBr00taLz, but man it sounds fantastic for it. Although, I'm not a huge metal head, I tend to write some metal/alternative stuff in Drop-D. I have a Mesa Boogie Mark IV and Lonestar head. I mostly play fusion and prog, and one review said it was fantastic for fusion.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Quote by T!AN

Actually that's a really good thing that they dont hold their value too well if you want to buy one, they're player's guitars, they dont have a name attached to them that will make them 2k bucks used. If you want to sell them, sell them to a person that knows Carvin guitars and knows their quality, they should get you the money they're really worth.
Quote by T!AN

Although you would be quite an idiot to sell one. Phenominal build quality, rivals that of PRS and Suhr.

The only complaints about Carvin that one may have are pickups and tremolo system. The pickups are decent and the tremolo is fine, some just think it has to say Edge Pro or Official Floyd Rose on it to be decent.

If you complain about your guitar being muddy, again, its either pickups or amp. If you custom ordered a guitar with a mahogany body and low output pickups, you have no right to complain about it sounding dark, as would someone ordering a guitar with maple and walnut and complaining about it sounding bright.

If you know what tone you're going for, get the right wood for the right job, order a new set of pickups and you'll have a boutique killer for half the price.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Ive owned 2 carvins. A dc400 I bought in 92 and sold 10 years later. And I bought a dc150 2 1/2 years ago. The 400 was a work of art only thing I didnt like was the floating wammy, but I did order it that way so no problem. The 150 is nothing like the other one the quality just wasnt there. Maybe I got one of the few lemons or maybe they just dont care. It has never played good. Not as good as other guitars I have that cost 1/4 what the carvin did. The pickups are really good. But you do have to chose correctly.
I think i'm going to get a walnut body with a rosewood neck to try and balance it out. i would love to get the H22 pickups, as to me, they sound the best.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Quote by MESAexplorer
The only complaints about Carvin that one may have are pickups and tremolo system. The pickups are decent and the tremolo is fine, some just think it has to say Edge Pro or Official Floyd Rose on it to be decent.

If I'm not mistaken, all 6 strings have OFRs. The DC727 and 747 have LFRs.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
get the holdsworth...

i own the regular h2 not the Fatboy... there's a couple youtube videos of me playing it up but they are crappy quality.

anyway for prog rock and fusion it's the perfect axe, and it does very well with some heavy distortion too.

the hf2 fatboy is more hollow and will feedback a lot more with higher levels of distortion so I would suggest perhaps an h2 if you plan to do a lot of high gain stuff since it's chambered not actually semi-hollow like the fatboy.

also i would recommend buying off of ebay used... you can get a really nice holdsworth guitar for around 800-900 bucks and not have to wait. that way if you want to resell it wont go down in value and you dont have to wait the 3 months or so it takes to complete and ship the custom order.

(i own 2 carvins btw a dc127 and the carvin h2)

go for it!

i've been craving an M or GR series steinberger for a while myself... you see a lot of those in prog/fusion circles FYI and they work very well with heavy distortion, might wanna check em out. good luck
Quote by fjord214
get the holdsworth...

i own the regular h2 not the Fatboy... there's a couple youtube videos of me playing it up but they are crappy quality.

anyway for prog rock and fusion it's the perfect axe, and it does very well with some heavy distortion too.

the hf2 fatboy is more hollow and will feedback a lot more with higher levels of distortion so I would suggest perhaps an h2 if you plan to do a lot of high gain stuff since it's chambered not actually semi-hollow like the fatboy.

also i would recommend buying off of ebay used... you can get a really nice holdsworth guitar for around 800-900 bucks and not have to wait. that way if you want to resell it wont go down in value and you dont have to wait the 3 months or so it takes to complete and ship the custom order.

(i own 2 carvins btw a dc127 and the carvin h2)

go for it!

i've been craving an M or GR series steinberger for a while myself... you see a lot of those in prog/fusion circles FYI and they work very well with heavy distortion, might wanna check em out. good luck

what a coincidence. i saw your video not too long ago with the holdsworth, and i loved your tone. I sent you a PM and everything. I loved you tone for the DT songs. Great playing man. What wood did you use? Or just answer my PM on youtube, lol.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
I have a Carvin CT6M, the PRS style guitar. It is absolutely awesome. I like the stock setup, but people on the carvin forum commonly change the pots, caps, and pickups. The pickups inside the guitars are actually mini pots.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*