Black Sabbath are my favourate band ever but try as I might I cant get the exact tone theat Butler uses. I have a Squier Jazz with active EQ and a ****ty practise amp with a Low-Mid_High EQ.

Help?
here's a list of things you'd need to change to sound like geezer butler

1) you need a much better amp
2) you need a p bass
3) you need to be geezer butler
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
^^^ Helpful

1 Geezer used a Jazz for most of his work apart from the really early stuff.
2 The amp has never got in the way of any other tone I've wanted before.
3 I wish...

I dont have to play it through my amp I have a Zoom B2 multi effects so I can play through there with headphones and miss out the amp.
one thing that will get you close is playing right where the neck starts. its hard to explain.. but playing by the neck will help. it gets a really warm and bassy tone
Quote by Spaz91
^^^ Helpful

1 Geezer used a Jazz for most of his work apart from the really early stuff.
2 The amp has never got in the way of any other tone I've wanted before.
3 I wish...

I dont have to play it through my amp I have a Zoom B2 multi effects so I can play through there with headphones and miss out the amp.

Geezer used a P bass in the early days but after that he pretty much used a variety of differnt basses he never really settled on just one. I've seen pictures of him playing Dan Armstrongs, Rics, Spectors, Jazzs, ect. I think he used mostly Laney amps because that was what Tony was useing.
when i try to get a similar tone to geezer with my jazz bass, i solo the neck pickup, turn the tone knob all or most of the way down, and play the strings over the highest frets of the bass, and add a bit of distortion.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
What tone are you looking for? His early tone, or his Heaven and Hell era tone? I personally love his Dio tone, it has epic growl.
Ampeg!
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
If you're thinking War Pigs-intro-sound, bring up the mids a lot and add a little overdrive. Turning the tone knob and the bridge pickup down will also help. If that's not what you're thinking... that's the only song Geezer Butler plays on that I listen to.
Play directly over the end of the neck itself on a Precision bass with the tone knob rolled off. Use vintage laney 60 watt tube guitar amps with a relatively flat EQ and voila. Dead rotosound strings also help. I read that somewhere and it stuck in my head. He didn't start using real bass amps until at LEAST Master of Reality, possibly even later. I know the first two albums were done with Laney guitar amps and an old Precision.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Play at around the 19th fret with a slight hint of overdrive. And when I say play, I mean DIG INTO...all caps helps drive the point home.

Oh, and

Quote by skater dan0

3) you need to be geezer butler
Sabbath are my favorite Band too

Raise Mids and high Mids about 9 or 10, and Lows not so much but still fairly high... about, 6 or 7, go easy on the Treble about. 4ish

Play closer to the Neck, over the last fret is a good spot and really play quite hard, and make your strokes kind of downward

also turn down/off your bridge pickup, and roll the tone down slowly, so you dont get a whole bunch of clack from the fretboard. In War Pigs it is quite noticeable, he is playing harder than usual.

so don't roll it all they way down, maybe about, halfwayish

ALSO there is a noticeable difference when Butler moved to Ampeg, alot cleaner smoother bass tone as compared to the earlier recordings, Still a monster

And butler used his P bass untill Customs chopped it up because of some wood bug they thought may be in there

then he setlled on touring with a Lakland Jo Osborn bass/other Graphite Basses, but he did use many a different bass.

why wouldn't he?
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"