I searched and watched a couple videos but I couldn't find the answer to my question.

For this thread i'll be using the beginning of the tapping part of Eruption (Van Halen)

-9p2h5-9p2h5-9p2h5-9p2h5-9p2h5-9p2h5-

My question is, when you tap the 9, say for the second time, should my pinky still be holding down the 5th fret. Even if I don't pull off with my pinky, if I remove it I can hear a little noise of the 2nd fret. Or should I practice removing my pinky without having any noise sound?

To reiterate, should I keep my pinky on 5, tap 9, then before I release 9 take my pinky off 5, and then pull off 9 to 2, then hammer 5 and repeat?

or

tap 9, release 9 to 2, hammer 5, remove my pinky from 5 without making 2 sound, and then tap 9 and repeat?
well i kinda press 9 and release 5 at the same time. tapping is usually really quick so there is really not that much time between when i press nine and pull off
Quote by One on Sunday
well i kinda press 9 and release 5 at the same time. tapping is usually really quick so there is really not that much time between when i press nine and pull off

+1
Exactly what I do.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by One on Sunday

+1 thats what i do

and you might have more control if instead of using ur pinky u use ur ring finger, thats what i do, but if u ant stretch that farthan pinky is fine, just a suggestion
I try not to complicate things like that, because then your hands just get all caught up . When I tap I don't really think, I just " do"
I actually don't know what I do. When I play at speeds like that, it's best not to think too much about it, although what I would do in that case is actually pull off right before I tap the 9 to make it sound even faster.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!