Ok so a few pieces just came together at my last guitar lesson. My teacher explained how if you have a simple minor progression you use say a regular minor scale.. i was like duh but then he showed me how you could use the notes that were in the chord being played at that time in the progression to use. He showed how this can make your soloing very melodic if you only use notes in the chord being played at that time. So ya now i use that to make simple melodies to add more structure to my soloing. So ya is that all like right? and is there any more cool tips for soloing like what are passing tones ive heard that term before and how do like modes apply to soloing?
I believe what you are referring to is arpeggiating (sp?) the chords. This is a very melodic way to soloing. In the soloing video by marty friedman, he explains this and talks about how you can create very melodic and original sounding solos by following the chords in this manner.
Your teacher is right.

Passing tones are tones that don't appear in the current chord, but would sound good if used briefly. Almost always, a passing tone is still in the scale. Passing tones are not to be confused with passive tones.

EDIT: Don't worry about modes yet. Learn the major scale, all modes are based on the major scale. But, to answer your question, modes work just like any other scales. There is just a slight difference in the chords typically used in a modal progression.
I use a lot of passing tones in my soloing that are in between the notes of the scale and I play them on off (or up) beats. For example with an A blues scale, I will play A,C,D,Eb,E,G,G#,A. I will often play the Eb on a down beat because its sounds cool playing the flat five of a blues scale on the down beat but I will almost always play the G# on the upbeat.

As far as some simple cool stuff to do while soloing: Try playing a minor pentatonic scale up a fifth from the root chord and you will be playing the 5, b7,1,9,11 of the original minor chord. For example in A minor the pentatonic scale is A,C,D,E,G which are the 1,b3,4,5,b7. Play the E minor pentatonic over the A minor chord and you will get the E,G,A,B,D which are the 5,b7,1,9,11 of the A minor chord. Something simple that will give you a little different flavor without getting too "out" right now.

Good luck
"How to Become a Better Musician" - is my online course at www.MyOnlineMusicLessons.com. Phrasing and Rhythmic Development, Improv Techniques, Jazz Theory, Ear Training and more. I'm also available for Skype/Hangout lessons.
Quote by Shecter78787
ok thanks just making sure i wasn't practicing some major flaw in my theory

If you draw out the chord progression derived from a scale in full barre chords you'll find it accounts for most of the notes in the scale anyway.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com