Well... I have a crappy first act guitar and 26 watt amp, I know they suck so I am saving and trying to upgrade as soon as I can. Anyways I'm gonna get an epi SG G-400 and I dont know what amp. I play classic rock like Zeppelin and AC/DC, also some metallica and stuff like that. I don't want to spend more than 300 dollars but if its a real good amp I'll go to 350. I was thinking of one these these two amps.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-30X-Amp-with-COSM?sku=487032

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481959

What do you think of these? Any other suggestions?
Last edited by sglover34479 at Aug 25, 2008,
black heart little giant

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

If you're on the $250 dollar budget you could go used and try to find a Peavey Classic 30, which is an all tube amp. I've seen them go for as low as $200. Out of the two options you gave I would pick the Vox because of the tube.
Quote by kingedy
If you're on the $250 dollar budget you could go used and try to find a Peavey Classic 30, which is an all tube amp. I've seen them go for as low as $200. Out of the two options you gave I would pick the Vox because of the tube.

You can't find a Classic 30 for that cheap. The cheapest I've seen one go is 400.

The valvetronix is the superior of the two, tonally. The effects are better too.

The cube sounds stiff to my ears.
If you can really stretch your budget, you could get a used Peavey ValveKing or Classic 30. I imagine the ValveKing would be a little less than $400. It would be worth the wait IMO.
Might have been a Peavey Bandit.

I wouldn't recommend that. You could get a Blackheart Little Giant for less, and it sounds a lot better.
I think the ValveKing sounds pretty good. Especially for that price.

For your style though, I think you would like a Peavey Classic 30. Look on Ebay for a bit. I guarantee you could find a Classic 30 for $400.
Quote by TheArcadeFire
I think the ValveKing sounds pretty good. Especially for that price.

For your style though, I think you would like a Peavey Classic 30. Look on Ebay for a bit. I guarantee you could find a Classic 30 for $400.

The Valveking has **** for cleans.

It has a pretty decent crunch, though, and is a very dark amp.

Unless you want one tone and only one tone, though, a Valvetronix is a good choice. You will not be able to find an amp with that kind of versatility in your price range.
you might look at the epiphone vj stack and a tube screamer like the bad monkey. $249 for the vj and $50 for the bad monkey.
If you're playing both in your room and with a band, perhaps you should stretch your budget for the Blackheart Handsome devil when it comes out?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
yep your going to need more than 5 watts if your playin with a band. look into one of the crates that are on sale if your looking for a tube amp.
Actually the valveking has pretty good cleans and overdrive as well. The normal overdrive without the boost would be good for some of that classic stuff you play. As the overdrive with the boost would be good for Metallica and some hard rock. Valveking is great for how much it costs IMO.
Quote by imgooley
You can't find a Classic 30 for that cheap. The cheapest I've seen one go is 400.

The valvetronix is the superior of the two, tonally. The effects are better too.

The cube sounds stiff to my ears.

Theres a peavey classic 30 with the footswitch and a better speaker installed for 300 dollars on craigslist right now. I cant afford it at the moment but maybe someone else wants it?

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/782834794.html