So, first off, this is my first thread EVER, so
help me out a bit.

Basically, im looking for a 2x12 tube amp.

Loads of distortion is a must; i like the headroom.
(or is that a bad idea? should i be looking for
something that isnt as high gain, if im only going to
be pushing it around half way?)

Cleans are a bonus, but not 100% necessary.

I don't care much for FX, but a good reverb/chorus
is a plus.

Should be 'gig-worthy'.
(I have no idea how loud 'gig-worthy' is,
which is partially why im posting.)

Price range is around $400 - $600, but isnt
limited to that.
(That doesnt mean I want to spend $1,300 though!)

I have EMG 81/60's, so keep that in mind.

I'm into mainly hardcore / post-punk / screamo,
some kind of Funeral For A Friend / From First To Last
tone would be nice, but again, no necessary.

And also, i currently have a Crate FW120, mistake.
But not terrible
BulletzAreScene
vintage ampeg vt-22, but you will need distortion pedals for its a clean amp with massive head space, suited for all kind of music, and the sickest tone you will ever hear
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
Bugera 333XL - 212. Look at it.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
It should be, and it's about $600 - $650.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Quote by Dark_Raven10
Bugera 333XL - 212. Look at it.

+1
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
6505 = +1,
ive played it, and love it, but
i dont have the time to save that much,
i have no job, and multiple live shows coming
up in late september,
which, i prolly should have included in the original post
BulletzAreScene
you bought emg's but you want headroom?? why?

ok for loads of distortion i say peavey 5150 or the marshall tsl 602. both are great. 5150 is the metal amp. marshalls have that nice marshall crunch.

actually you dont even need a 212. all you need is a 122. marshall dsl401? great amp. how much you got. you can find one for 500 bucks. you can find a 5150 for like 600 bucks. hm.. if you dont got money then you cnat buy a loud amp,.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
If you are willing to go used definatly get a genuine peavey, no bugeras, they are not quality built. If you just want brutal gain a 5150/6505 combo would be great. But if you want more versitility(3 channels) go with a used peavey xxx combo. I got mine for $400(they arent made anymore so you have to go used). Its got great gain, and a nice clean channel, often compared to the mesa triple rectifier. check either of them out.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Headroom so the signal isnt all compressed,
IMO its better to have something and not
use it, than not to have it and need it, y'know
BulletzAreScene
Quote by BulletzAreScene
Headroom so the signal isnt all compressed,
IMO its better to have something and not
use it, than not to have it and need it, y'know

Your sound will naturally compress when your tubes saturate.

If clean tones aren't really that necessary, you don't need a lot of headroom.
Peavey JSX 2x12 120 watt combo.

You heard me right, 120 watts.

They make a 40 watt 112 combo that sounds just as good though. Look into both, they're extremely good.

Alternatively, Mesa F-30/F-50.
I find the 5150/6505 head is wayy better than the combo.
Try and find a used 5150 head and 2x12 cab. You'll thank yourself in the long run.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
the thing with all these replies are
they are all crazy expensive, i mean
of course i could buy a Mesa and
get good tone, but some of the Mesas
at my shop are around $2,500 for a 2x12.
I don't have that kind of money.
BulletzAreScene
Just go for a 112, it'll save you a good bit of money, and be plenty loud enough for basicly any gig you'll play, and if your playing a gig it's not loud enough for, you can just mic it.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by HLrocker
Just go for a 112, it'll save you a good bit of money, and be plenty loud enough for basicly any gig you'll play, and if your playing a gig it's not loud enough for, you can just mic it.

Bugera 6260/6262 or 333XL
Peavey 5150 combo

i have the 6262 and its a great amp. i use it as a back up for my 5150 II halfstack and somtimes my Mesa dual rect. its a great amp never had any problems with. allready did a preamp retube on it, sounds even better. dont listen to the people that dont even own them. yeah there have a been a few amps that have died and have blown tranformers. but most of those have been the 333 series. plus i have heard about more problems with Valve Kings then Bugeras.
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
yeah but i work at a guitar shop that gets them. and ive used the 333XL and the 6262 and i dont like them. and im a metal head that plays a varity of stuff. trust me its hollowed out and just not good. actually the only thing i liked about the 6262 and the XXL was the clean channel LOL.
Quote by convictionless
yeah but i work at a guitar shop that gets them. and ive used the 333XL and the 6262 and i dont like them. and im a metal head that plays a varity of stuff. trust me its hollowed out and just not good. actually the only thing i liked about the 6262 and the XXL was the clean channel LOL.

well my 6262 sounds just as good as my 5150 II
been touring for 10+ years, have owned and still own many different tube heads.
it shreds right next to all of them
been in a signed punk band for going on 6 years
so i trust my ears.

but then again its preference. what sounds good to ALOT of people might not sound good to you.
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Quote by HLrocker

I prefer the clarity of 2x12,
cleans are sooo much better IMO.
BulletzAreScene
Quote by AndyRevenge
well my 6262 sounds just as good as my 5150 II
been touring for 10+ years, have owned and still own many different tube heads.
it shreds right next to all of them
been in a signed punk band for going on 6 years
so i trust my ears.

but then again its preference. what sounds good to ALOT of people might not sound good to you.

yeah, you have been touring for 10+ years, your ears are probly comepletely blown apart and now you. cant tell a MG from a jcm............ >.>
dude just cause you have been touring and have been in a band doesnt mean you know what your talking about. fall out boy, jonas brothers are in a band, and are signed but alot of people dont like them. so that means **** to me.

i work with people all day and amps. trust me i know the 6262 isnt good. even kids who are non biased who get their rich parents to buy them a amp, they see the 6262 and try it and i always get, the distortion sounds........ differnt and not in a good way. but they like the cleans and so do i. bugera are just a rip off. dont buy them.
Quote by convictionless
yeah, you have been touring for 10+ years, your ears are probly comepletely blown apart and now you. cant tell a MG from a jcm............ >.>
dude just cause you have been touring and have been in a band doesnt mean you know what your talking about. fall out boy, jonas brothers are in a band, and are signed but alot of people dont like them. so that means **** to me.

i work with people all day and amps. trust me i know the 6262 isnt good. even kids who are non biased who get their rich parents to buy them a amp, they see the 6262 and try it and i always get, the distortion sounds........ differnt and not in a good way. but they like the cleans and so do i. bugera are just a rip off. dont buy them.

AGAIN...all your opinion.
my ears are fine..haha
and just because you work with people all day and work with amps deoesnt mean you are the expert on what should sound good.

and yeah i have been touring for 10+ years so i have bit of experience with all types of amps. i know what sounds good to me. you dont the Bugeras. so what. me and ALOT of other people do. its all opinions man.
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Assuming this is a YCV40 it is worth a look. It has a great clean channel so you could stomp box in front of it all day long. The gain is probably short of your needs on it's own but worth a look.
http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/msg/792572418.html $400 not bad.
This would have gobs of headroom if it's still available.
http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/msg/782077248.html
Then there is this... Since the poster is an idiot you would have to find out WTF it really is, but it could be a 5150 or 6505 head for all the add says.
http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/msg/782077248.html
Worth a call tho.