Hello, i've got a friend who wanted me to ask about an amp, because he knows nothing about bass amps, and i really don't either.

My friend plays stuff like The Devil Wears Prada, AFI, and Green Day. And he wants to buy it used for around $300. And we're just now starting a band, so it's got to be able to do small gigs... like maybe a tube combo... perhaps?

Someone please enlighten me to some choices, please! I'm looking for options because we want to go trying out amps, but neither of us have ANY idea about bass amps.

Thanks.
O O

___
tell him to look at ashdown, not sure which if any of their amps are in that price though
I've heard good things from ampeg? does anyone know if they make some combos for that price used that are decent?
O O

___
add a couple more hundred and get an amp, cant go wrong with an ampeg for your first amp
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
What kind exactly would be good for his budget? Any specific models to look at?

I'm totally lost in the bass world!
O O

___
the ampeg b-series is good and low cost
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
again... can i get some specific models of these brand names, i know what names are out there, i just don't know exactly what to look at. I'm trying to get a general idea of what to try out.

Quote by higherworlds
the ampeg b-series is good and low cost

Thanks, i'll try to find one to try out.
O O

___
AMPEG BA115!!!! 100 watts, its perfect, loud enough for gigs, and beautifal tone...if only i could afford one....its $350
Try adding more delay.
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Line 6 Spider III 15 watt
Fender Rumble 15

Drums:
Yamaha, Lugwig, Pearl, CB Drums
Sabian Cymbals
Yamaha Hardware
get the gallien-krueger backline 210... enough power for gigs but not a pain to carry around
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Quote by telecastrmastr
AMPEG BA115!!!! 100 watts, its perfect, loud enough for gigs, and beautifal tone...if only i could afford one....its $350

I do not agree. And I own one.

Loud enough? No, struggles to keep up and its clipping all over the place at PRACTICE.

Beautiful tone? Not really, pretty average tone.

Basically I advise against buying one. The tweeter is also incredibly annoying.
Once the regulars start rolling in you will get flooded with Ashdown and Carvin. Just a heads up.

And please, don't buy an Ampeg B-series. For reasons stated above.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by Nikki197666

And please, don't buy an Ampeg B-series. For reasons stated above.

...or a GK Backline they are horrible.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Well, to gig you don't really need a decent.

at most of the gigs I've played at/operated sound board for, you will be coming out of the speakers so your being controlled by the guy out the front

sounds bad, trust him, hes hearing it out there not from on stage like you.

When I play small to medium gigs, my amp is more than efficiant, one venue I go to regularly I don't go through the PA just because I know what level to put it on and its just easier, seeing as I've played there so often, easier is better

What you're looking for is a decent Amp to be heard over the Drums at practise

Because even at the quite big gigs I've played, they either Supplied an amp/didn't even turn on a bass amp, just ran me through the a DI through the speakers

if you're playing a gig without a sound man, then the practise level amp wouuld be pushing it

I'd suggest Hartke, I own one, try the 250 watt with 1x15 combo

I later took the head from that and added a drawer in its place and put a 4x10 ontop of the 1x15 for a full stack

but this will get you heard at gigs

at Practise, just lean it back a little so its not blasting the sound at your knees
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
@ everyone saying "raise your budget or get used":
i stated in the original post that i was looking for an amp around $300 USED!! so... that being said...

how loud would wattage be for equivalent to a guitar amp? Because i have a 50W Valveking... how many watts would he have to have to get equal with my amp?
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
@ everyone saying "raise your budget or get used":
i stated in the original post that i was looking for an amp around $300 USED!! so... that being said...

how loud would wattage be for equivalent to a guitar amp? Because i have a 50W Valveking... how many watts would he have to have to get equal with my amp?

150W minimum. More if you constantly crank it, due to the greater percieved volume of tube tones (more midrange). Bass frequencies need more power anyway, plus they also need more clean headroom. Distortion is undesirable in bass amps, so you need extra power to avoid it (though some people with tube preamps overdrive them to get some grit. However, these amps are never cheap).

I would recommend the Ashdown MAG 300 or the Warwick Sweet 15. Not sure on prices, but my Warwick is very powerful for the advertised power, and it can keep up with a drummer practising, and it can hold it's own for small gigs.

The Ashdown is recommended highly around here, but unless you get an extension cab, it isn't louder than the Warwick. Pick your one on tone.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
^Usually the rule o' thumb is to triple the power of the guitarist's amp, but that's a rough rule.

From 200-300 watts would probably be best for your bassist.

I'd suggest an SWR LA series if they had more power... I absolutely love my LA15, but it's only 100 watts. But it was only $300 new!
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by WhyLater
^Usually the rule o' thumb is to triple the power of the guitarist's amp, but that's a rough rule.

From 200-300 watts would probably be best for your bassist.

I'd suggest an SWR LA series if they had more power... I absolutely love my LA15, but it's only 100 watts. But it was only $300 new!

With tubes it's 5-6x really. As stated above, a tube amp produces greater mids, so sounds louder.

150 would be the bare minimum I would say. If you're distorting a lot, probably 200W would be the lowest I would go.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.