Right, so what I was thinking is I would sell my Strat and upgrade my Epiphone Les Paul. Right now you might be thinking "Why would you want to upgrade an Epi Les Paul?! " but I honestly like the feel of my Epiphone alot better than the Strat - hell, alot more than even some Gibsons I've tried. So there.

Anyway, to the matter at hand: I wanted to rout another slot for a single coil between the humbuckers, making it HSH - but here's the kicker, I also want to make it two volume (bridge and neck) and two tone (again, bridge and neck) with a push-pull volume knob to coiltap the humbuckers. Is this possible?

I've never seen a wiring diagram that describes this configuration before, either.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
That's just two humbuckers, though... would I just wire a single coil in there like in the single coil diagram? I already checked Seymour Duncan, btw.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
meh, I don't think you really need a single coil.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Maybe I don't, but it'd be a learning experience. Besides, I like having versatility on hand.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I've never seen an HSH guitar with two volume and two tone knobs before. If you have, please link me.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
it wouldn't be too dificult to figure out.
The only thing I'm thinking, is what will be done for the single coil as far as switching/volume/tone?
to use a regular switching scheme, a 5-way switch wouldn't work well because theres usually a 3-way, so thered be a big hole where there should be a slot..

personally, I'd keep the 3-way to select between the two humbuckers, and add another push/pull pot to turn the single coil on and off, then I guess forget about volume and tone for the single.

Then you'd wire up the humbuckers to a volume/tone set up as normal, and have the signal from the on/off switch of the single coil meeting the signal from the humbuckers at the output jack.

For the coil splitting, just use a DPDT push/pull pot, and use it to split both hbs at once.

I'll draw you up a little sketch in a second..
Yeah, I was thinking of a 5-way switch, but I guess I'll save that for my full build. The 3-way switch thing would work, though I want it so if the switch is in the middle it only uses the middle coil...

It sounds like it could work. All I need now is a router and a spare single coil...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
with the way I suggested, the only way you'd be able to use the sc on its own if you turn the bridge and neck volumes both all the way down, and have the single's switch on (or have the bridge vol. all the way down, and have the 3-way on the bridge position/ other way around). you could also have a little mini toggle or something to kill the neck and brigde hbs to make an easier way of having only the single coil on..

If you really want it, I can get you a diagram tomorrow, but I'm going to sleep right now..
I'd appreciate that very much, thank you.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
You could replace the 3-way switch with a 5-way rotary switch. It'd look different, but still fit in a round hole. Personally, I would explore coil-split, series/parallel, and phase options rather than add a single coil... but don't let that stop you!
Since it's unlikely I'll gain access to a router, I'll probably end up just changing my pickups and maybe painting it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
what about wiring the humbuckers normally but wiring the single coil pickup up to the middle lug of the switch and either the necks volume or bridges volume pot.
It shouldn't be to hard. Just research it a bit!