What low wattage amp would sound good for metal? I would also want it to be good for rock, classic rock, and have good cleans. My budget is around $350 USD.
Guitars
Douglas WRL595, ESP LTD EC-50, 60's Partscaster
Amps
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Vet30
Pedals
Fender Starcaster Chorus ,MXR Classic Overdrive, Artec 8 Band Equalizer, Digitech Hardwire Delay
For metal the cube 30x cannot be beat. For everything else, there are better alternatives. The clean channel on the cube is pretty decent, but I wouldn't bank on the low gain modes.
Quote by convictionless
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH5H-and-BH112-Half-Stack?sku=483078

this is perfect

then maybe buy a distortion pedal like a metal muff and put it infront of this amp and it screams.

I was thinking about that but I was also looking at the Vibro Champ XD or the Super Champ XD.

Would any of those be better or an all tube amp?

@yomoma21, MG's are a no-no.
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Fender Starcaster Chorus ,MXR Classic Overdrive, Artec 8 Band Equalizer, Digitech Hardwire Delay
Quote by killjoys
ya thats a sweet guitar with an amazing overdrive..
really smooth and $$ worthy

i know it says guitars but its a blackheart amp.

the fender wouldnt suit your styles well and trust me. the blackheart at the end of the day would suit your style better.
Quote by convictionless

the fender wouldnt suit your styles well and trust me. the blackheart at the end of the day would suit your style better.

Well I've never tried it but you may be right. However, they raised the price a bit last time I checked and I don't want to pay that much for a pedal for light distortion and heavy distortion. I can't crank the amp
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Quote by Don Tonberry
Well I've never tried it but you may be right. However, they raised the price a bit last time I checked and I don't want to pay that much for a pedal for light distortion and heavy distortion. I can't crank the amp

The idea of a 5-watt amp is that you can crank it without excessive volume.
Quote by The Pickle Man
The idea of a 5-watt amp is that you can crank it without excessive volume.

How loud does a 5 watt Tube amp get when you crank it? I don't want my parents to get annoyed.
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Quote by Don Tonberry
How loud does a 5 watt Tube amp get when you crank it? I don't want my parents to get annoyed.

Depends on the amp, for example the champ 600 isnt that loud at all when cranked (but it is a terrible amp i warn you), but the epi valve jr is much too loud for practice at home.
Quote by convictionless

The Fender is WAYYY more versatile than the Blackheart. It can do metal as well as rock and stuff. The Super Champ is my suggestion.
Low volume metal amp = Roland MicroCube. Sure you can spend $350 if you want but what's the point? If you aren't playing with a drummer this would be fine. If you want something louder start looking at used gear, $350 goes a long way on the used market.
Superchamp is good, else I would have bought something else, but i dont play much metal on it as a heads up, although i did do some tool before i swapped my speaker and it sounded pretty decent
Quote by beckyjc
Depends on the amp, for example the champ 600 isnt that loud at all when cranked (but it is a terrible amp i warn you), but the epi valve jr is much too loud for practice at home.

I liked the Champion 600. Not for what he plays, though...

5 watt tube amps are hard to crank, especially if you have to worry about annoying your parents. I'd go for a Vox Valvetronix, or something similar.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I found a Mesa Boogie Subway Blues for about $400, but I don't think it can go into metal territory and it might be too loud. Any other suggestions?

EDIT:I also found a Marshall Lead 12 on craigslist
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Last edited by Don Tonberry at Aug 26, 2008,
^Where did you find it? If craigslist or a music store, it doesn't hurt to try it out and see if it suits your needs.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^It was on craigslist but I'm not sure about it

Someone is also selling their Peavey Bandit 112 for $225 is that any good?
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
any more help?
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
I found a modded Epiphone Valve Special for $220, so maybe I can buy an OD or Distortion pedal for metal?
Guitars
Amps
Pedals