Hi, I have started practicing slap bass. I have gotten pretty far with it for only working on it for aobut 2 weeks(got a great practice technique) and I just need some slap bass exercises, riffs, or songs that you guys know that I could work on.

Thank you.
Quote by apocalypse13

Quote by Beckerism
I ain't ghetto foo! I's just keeping it real!

Keep it real man.
Click.
If you can find a relatively simple Marcus Miller song, thatll work fine. Older RHCP songs, like Can't Stop, will also work fine, since slapping and popping is often used together.
victor wooten - classical thump

lol
Quote by Stiffy Maximus
i smoke some weed and get naked. thats the way to write a good song.
g---------5-----------
d-----------------5
a-----3-------------
e-------------3---

^ play stuff like that, it helped me well with slap and pop
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Did you try the search bar? Im sure theres tons of threads like this lying around.
Starting bass or just looking for a new one? Here's a suggestion: Go to your local music store and try some out.
Quote by Eldiablo30x6
victor wooten - classical thump

lol

Yeah, ummm, how about a big fat NO? lol

Thanks for the suggestions, THE REST OF YOU. no thanks to Eldiablo30x6. lol

But, I actually need harder stuff than this though.
Quote by apocalypse13

Quote by Beckerism
I ain't ghetto foo! I's just keeping it real!

Keep it real man.
Click.
Last edited by hepzibahbaptist at Aug 25, 2008,
this is what I do to warm up my slapping/popping hand

g-------------------------
d-----------x-----------x
a------------------------
e------x-x--------x-x--

all strings muted over and over again, starting slow and speeding up to the speed of get up and jump by the chili peppers
Can't stop isn't old Chili's, it's from the second newest album...
try stuff BSSM or earlier.

Or just find some funk lines and slap them.

Man, Im too lazy for real advice
http://books-videos-music.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hal-Leonard-Funk-Bass-BookCD?sku=940220&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26054891

it can be a little tedious, the first exercises are really easy, but it gets tricky quick. but it'll give you a lot of stuff to work with, and they mix up rhythms pretty well.
i'm about to try to get through it cover to cover again, since i haven't played slap in awhile.
it helped my technique quite a bit.
i found higher ground good when i was learning to slap, if you're looking for something more difficult try get up and jump or skinny sweaty man (all by chili's)
all around the world by RHCP, that sounds awesome
Say hi

Playing: Sleeping Dogs, FIFA 13, Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2
Reading: The Hobbit

Watching: How I met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, 24

Listening: Muse - The 2nd Law
When improvising slap, all I ever seem to be able to do is octaves? Does anyone else have/had this problem and what did you do?

And Classical thump is double thumping, not slap.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
When improvising slap, all I ever seem to be able to do is octaves? Does anyone else have/had this problem and what did you do?

And Classical thump is double thumping, not slap.

I usually relate all of the percusive techniques into Slap Bass

ie

Slap, Pop, Double Pop, Slapback Slap, Left Hand slaping, Double Thumping, Triple Pop.

Some being more advanced than other obviously

And, how you say Double Thumping isn't a Slap technique I don't get?

Becuase its all Slap Bass to me
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by ZaccB
I usually relate all of the percusive techniques into Slap Bass

ie

Slap, Pop, Double Pop, Slapback Slap, Left Hand slaping, Double Thumping, Triple Pop.

Some being more advanced than other obviously

And, how you say Double Thumping isn't a Slap technique I don't get?

Becuase its all Slap Bass to me

Well it may be descendant of slap but it is certainly a different technique.

And with my problem, I have the slpa technique down, but whenever I try to improvise I can never come up with any good slap riffs because all I can think of doing is octaves.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.

And with my problem, I have the slpa technique down, but whenever I try to improvise I can never come up with any good slap riffs because all I can think of doing is octaves.

Try and think of it as two seperate things.

The thumb is going to play the chord notes, the important ones, or the melody or riff. The pop is there give it a funky feel, offset the rhythm, or add an octave it.

That's how I do it. Seperate the two parts out.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
Try and think of it as two seperate things.

The thumb is going to play the chord notes, the important ones, or the melody or riff. The pop is there give it a funky feel, offset the rhythm, or add an octave it.

That's how I do it. Seperate the two parts out.

Cool thanks Chris that makes it a lot more interesting.
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by ScottB.

well, they're flexible, and they sound good. but i suppose it can be a little tiresome.
you can also hit a fifth (right next to the octave), hammer on or slide to thirds, go for sevenths, etc. it comes to you in time.
it can be tricky breaking the habit of going for a pop after every slap. now that i don't slap as much, i'm falling back into that habit myself.