Ok guys, this is my first post on here, so i'll just come out and ask this. I have a Mesa Boogie F-30, and i play with an ibanez rg3ex1 with a dimarzio evo in the bridge and a seymour duncan 59 in the neck. I like the amp's dirty channel for the newer rock, but it just doesn't have the classic rock sound, and i play alot of the older stuff. it's just too bassy and heavy. What i'm wondering is if i were to invest in a good overdrive pedal and use it on the clean channel if i would get some of that sound. i know to get it exactly i would pretty much have to get a good marshall and a les paul, but i'm trying to get close with what i have. what do ya think?
i tried that, but the amps dirty is just too bassy and heavey sounding, nothin i do can seem to get it out or get close to that classic rock sound
with the Mesa and those pickups, it's tone city man! I would just crank until I found what I'm looking for
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
it wouldnt help too well
my opinion you should turn the volume and the middle range of your amp down
...signature...
i'm not too big on OD's, but the ocd is like classic rock in a box.

what are your settings at on your f-30?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
i'm not too big on OD's, but the ocd is like classic rock in a box.

what are your settings at on your f-30?

TS listen to this guy
he is god and will help you.
just buy a danelectro fish'nchips and if that doesnt work, at least you have a nice EQ there.

also, try a fulltone OCD,an MXR distortion +, or a TS9
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
^^ oh stop it
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
if anything a OD would make it worse, well the lower down ones. if you want a good classic tone you need to get something high end.
depends on how much gain you want. i have the F-50, so i pretty much know what you mean.

crank the gain and mids on the clean channel and drop the volume and bass, adjust treble accordingly.

for the OD channel, keep the gain at like 2 or 3 (8:30 or 9 for o'clock settings) and crank mids and drop bass. adjust treble accordingly. do NOT use the contour when looking for the classic rock mid-gain tones.

mess with the EQ a while. the F series are tone machines, just sit down and mess with the EQ. i finally found my sound after almost 8 months with the thing. also check out http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885856 there is a LOT of info in there, just take some time and check it out.

EDIT also what kinda tones are you looking to accomplish? band/artist wise.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Last edited by LaidBack at Aug 25, 2008,
id try turing down the bass some for one thing. also, for that classic sound try using not much gain, but cranking the volume.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
well thanks for all the replies guys, lots of useful info. i usually set every setting at straight up and then lower the bass some. the volume is usually at about 10 o clock