Poll Options
View poll results: Which amp?
Valveking + Metalmuff
4 13%
Save up for 6505
27 87%
Voters: 31.
Right now I got 500some dollars.
Do you guys think I should buy a Valveking and get a Metal muff pedal to get a thrash and Death metal sound out of it? Or should I keep my money and save up for a 6505, which is twice as much as I have now. I currently don't have a job and can't get one until I'm 16, which is in Feburary.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Preferably, you would save up to buy the best amp possible for your budget range.
How about...

A used 5150 instead?

Same thing as the 6505, and can be found in your price range.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
How about...

A used 5150 instead?

I've been looking at Craigslist and there isn't one in my area that is in my price range.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by MatrixClaw
How about...

A used 5150 instead?

DUDE if you found one for that price i would kiss you. im not gay. there not that much there more at 700 or 600 on a good day used.
Quote by killjoys
buy any amp
your sound comes from your finger

My sound starts from my finger but the ending tone of it comes out of my amp.
I wouldn't be able to play Behemoth on a Peavey Windsor on its own would I?
Quote by HuckIt
Quote by convictionless
DUDE if you found one for that price i would kiss you. im not gay. there not that much there more at 700 or 600 on a good day used.

I bought mine for $500?

There was a head for sale last week on the CL here for $500.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Slaytanic6606
My sound starts from my finger but the ending tone of it comes out of my amp.
I wouldn't be able to play Behemoth on a Peavey Windsor on its own would I?

Yeah you would, if you EQ'd it right. A Windsor sounds an awful lot like a hot rodded JCM 800.

You can find a tone of good amps on CL if you look. Search "Tube" or "Amp" and see what's there.
Well the thing is I have like no income right now.
I can't get a job until I'm 16 and I don't want to play on this crappy Spider II anymore.
I probably won't have enough money until a year from now for a 6505.
Quote by HuckIt
The VK is really not as bad as every one makes it out to be, for the value, and bang for your buck it is really a pretty good deal. I mean really, show me another amp for 400 dollars new thats sounds as good and is as gig worthy as the VK. But any way if there would be any way you could raise your budget 100 dollars or so you could probably get into a used 5150/6505. I usually recomend the VK for people who really are looking for thier tone and wanting a versatile amp, you seem to know what you want so I think you would be more pleased with a different amp. Also another amp that disimates the Vk in every way and will keep up with a 6505 in trems of gain, is the Peavey XXX, its voiced much more like a dual rectifier, and has tones of gain on tap and is quite versatile, good for anything other than Classic rock, which it can do well, but it does every thing eles very very well. I just saw a triple XXX head go for 500 dollars buy it now two weeks ago. Also the Peavey Ultra is its older brother that is voiced slightly different on one channel but the ultra channel remains just as brutal. You could find one of those in your budget for sure.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Last edited by Johnbryant at Aug 26, 2008,
^
I have the Ultra. Picked it up for $300 used, and I've seen them go even cheaper than that. I've also played VK's, and I think the Ultra blows it away. With the right cab, it sounds simular to the XXX.
Get a Randall RG50TC if you really can't find anything else in your price range. I've liked it much better than any VK I've tried.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
This is one of the older ultras, pretty hard to beat for that kind of money, it will distroy the VK http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Ultra-60-Tube-Head_W0QQitemZ180281129954QQihZ008QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Quote by Johnbryant
This is one of the older ultras, pretty hard to beat for that kind of money, it will distroy the VK http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Ultra-60-Tube-Head_W0QQitemZ180281129954QQihZ008QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Those things don't look like they get very good circulation at all, I'd be scared to use one lol

Still a nice sounding amp though!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^considering most have been running 15-20 years and we rarely ever hear of one going bad, I think its safe to say that it will be okay BTW its good to have you back Matrix, hows the splawn treating you?
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Last edited by Johnbryant at Aug 26, 2008,
Slaytanic, I would just be patient. Gooley and Matrix are right about buying used. I search "tube amp" all the time on CL and find great gear at sick prices almost everyday. In your case I would search the same and also search 5150, 6505 etc. And if you know that is what you want, don't be afraid to search cities somewhat near you. A good amp is always worth a road trip. (I realize you are under 16, so yea, someone would have to drive you).
I also have first hand experience with an Ultra. My bud has one, it's a great amp for metal.
Quote by Johnbryant
^considering most have been running 15-20 years and we rarely ever hear of one going bad, I think its safe to say that it will be okay BTW its good to have you back Matrix, hows the splawn treating you?

Haha for sure, just scares me that there's not very many open places on it, seems like it would get really hot really fast.

It's pretty sweet, I got a 2x12 cab for it as well and it sounds MUCH better through the 2x12 than my Marshall 1960, so I've been tryin to sell it and get a different cab.

Slaytanic, where do you live? I'll keep an eye out for some deals for you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by killjoys
buy any amp
your sound comes from your finger

So.... in theory...... one could play Death Metal on a Twin Reverb if he used his fingers correctly?
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Slaytanic, where do you live? I'll keep an eye out for some deals for you.

I live in the Chicagoland area.

But yeah thanks for the help you guys. I really appreciate it. I think I'll just wait and make some cash before I buy an amp for now. I get about 200 dollars for christmas anyway so I probably wouldn't have to wait as long as I thought I would.

Thanks everyone.
Quote by HuckIt