I have only ever owned bolt on neck guitars and ive been looking at V's and the only one i like with a bolt on is the mustaine vmnt, i was wondering how strong neck through body guitars are, and if you break the neck if it can be repaired, also id like to know what other advantages there are to them.
if its neckthrough and the neck breaks ur pretty much screwed
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Not true, you can glue it back by getting a professional to do it. It'll be stronger in that spot that it was broken at.

Btw, usually high end guitars are neck through, why would you even consider to drop it?
Quote by nan0
Not true, you can glue it back by getting a professional to do it. It'll be stronger in that spot that it was broken at.

Btw, usually high end guitars are neck through, why would you even consider to drop it?

Johnny Winter has a Gibson Firebird that had the neck snapped and he had it fixed.

To TS:Try the thru-neck and the bolt neck versions. the Thru-neck is made from mahogany with an ebony fretboard, the bolt-on is basswood with a maple top and neck, with a rosewood fretboard. The Bolt-on will probably sound more balanced, with some added edge in the top end, while the thru-neck should have a similar amount of snap, but with a warm, punchy bottom-end and a defined attack. They also have different pickups, and that's another thing that affects the tone drastically. The pickups on the thru-neck model will be better, and clearer with more gain than the ones on the lower-end bolt-neck model.

It all comes down to preference, try them both out and see which one you like the best
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
yes you can glue it on. then repaint it so it looks normal. then you can scam some fool and say theres no problems.i guess but it's illegal.

actaully. neck-thru's are supposed to have more sustain. another advantage is that you get higher fret access because the heel isnt a brick.. you know what i mean since you play bolt-ons. theyre more comfortable imo.

yeah there was a new study that says bolt-ons have more sustain. personally i think it's bull****. they actually had people try to hear the difference. PEOPLE!!!. that is a no no. people can't do ****. i bet they werent audiophiles. they need machines to measure things like that. they said it was control environment. i bet fender payed them off. cough but anyways. there you go.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by nan0

kind of like when you break a bone when it heals its stronger than before
Well i dont know about you guys but i'd rather just not break it in the first place.

But basically neck-thrus have slightly better sustain and are more comfortable where the neck meets the body, but supposedly with a good neck joint you can still get great sustain from the bolt on.
Quote by apak
yes you can glue it on. then repaint it so it looks normal. then you can scam some fool and say theres no problems.i guess but it's illegal.

actaully. neck-thru's are supposed to have more sustain. another advantage is that you get higher fret access because the heel isnt a brick.. you know what i mean since you play bolt-ons. theyre more comfortable imo.

yeah there was a new study that says bolt-ons have more sustain. personally i think it's bull****. they actually had people try to hear the difference. PEOPLE!!!. that is a no no. people can't do ****. i bet they werent audiophiles. they need machines to measure things like that. they said it was control environment. i bet fender payed them off. cough but anyways. there you go.

Actually, think about it. Wood>glue>wood or wood>metal>wood? What do you think would transfer vibration better, glue, or metal? Take note that I'm talking about the GOOD bolt-ons like the Ibanez JS series and Ernie Ball's Petrucci and Luke models, amongst MANY others, not the cheap ****ty Squiers.

Personally though, I prefer neck-through's. Makes me feel like I'm playing a sword
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Aug 27, 2008,
its not really wood.metal.wood, the metal is just kinda holding it on to the body.
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
Its unlikely you're going to break your guitar neck anyway
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Set-Neck's and Neck-Thru's are the best. I have a couple Bolt-On guitars, and they're nothing compared to the feel, sustain, and speed of a Neck-Thru. They have higher fret access, more sustain (As I said before), and a Neck-Thru is normally made of the body wood, like mahogany, which is better than a fretboard made of nothing but maple. A mahogany board, with a rosewood covering is better than a maple board with rosewood covering, so it's nicer that way. You're kind of screwed if you break the neck, 'cause you can fix it, but it's just not the same. I had a strap-lock break on my Jackson DK-2 a while ago, and the neck snapped when it hit the floor. I got it fixed, but it just doesn't seem the same IMO. Neck-Thru's also cost more too though, but it's worth it. Plus, you need to own at least one Neck-Thru to understand the difference. Just playing one at a store doesn't tell you how it'll be after weeks of long playing periods. PM me if you need any more help.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12