Anyone got tabs for some cool patterns to practice michael Angelo batios Over Under technique with? So far im just starting, and im using 5,7,8 and 10 on the B string, with two open Bs in between each note. Any other good patterns to work on?
practice anything you would practice on normal hand placement. it's the same, only your pinky is the 'base' finger instead of the index.
^ nope, not the over, the over under. Much sillier.

Take any scale and any distribution of open strings... et voila. Check out Muse's In your world for a cool single string riff.
Quote by Tubyboulin
Ill check out the Muse and Malmsteen, thanks guys!

Sorry if it sounds stupid, but who is 'trooch?

John Petrucci, of Dream Theater.
But that's irrelevant now. The fact that you questioned his name means your lifespan is about to be shortened.
you're in danger of being burnt by the sun, if he decides to turn his dial which controls the heat of the sun up.
Straight from Michael's column in Guitar World.

U-Under
O-Over

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------U---------O-------U-----O-----U-----U------O------U------O-----U-------U-------O------U---O
-0-0-12-0--0-10-0-0-7-0-0-6-0-0-5-0-3-0-0-5-0-0-6-0-0-7-0-0-3-0-0-12-0 0 10 0 0 7 0 6

I Know It's sloppy.
Never seen an audience get hornier then when Zeppelin improvised, didn't see them do any of that useless stuff.
Quote by The_Sophist
What benefit could this technique possibly have?

I know. It is the most stupid thing I have ever seen.
Quote by The_Sophist
Never seen an audience get hornier then when Zeppelin improvised, didn't see them do any of that useless stuff.

That's because they couldn't.
Quote by Retro Rocker
Live shows have stepped up a notch since then.

I disagree. I think ticket and album sales have shown us that people are actually not all that impressed with Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and the like.
Quote by The_Sophist
I disagree. I think ticket and album sales have shown us that people are actually not all that impressed with Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and the like.

They don't have the mainstream effect is all. The technique is like the one Hendrix(many others did too but he is notable) employed, the one I am talking about is the one where you pick with your mouth/teeth. And the one where you play the guitar behind your head...there are many others too. They used to do it back then too, the tricks are nothing new really.
Umm, Mr. Sophist, comparing a band like Led Zeppelin to people like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani is increadibly dumb. The type of music they play is completly different. They wrote music in a style that had already been established by bands like Cream. There was already a large demand for that kind of music before the world "got the Led out." All Led Zeppelin did was take it to the next level (and they deserve full credit for that).

Joe Satriani and Steve Vai brought something TOTALLY NEW to the world of music. They ignored what was popular at the time and wrote music that EXPRESSED THEMSELVES TO THE HIGHEST DEGREE (last time I checked, music was about expressing yourself, not album and ticket sales).

Michael Jackson's Thriller sold more copies than ANY of Led Zeppelin's albums, does that mean Michael Jackson is better than Led Zeppelin?

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Zeppelin fan. Been one for years. I just want to make it clear that just because the sold more albums and tickets than say... Steve Vai doesn't mean they are better. In fact, if you looked at actual guitar playing, Vai and Satch both blow Jimmy Page out of the water.
Quote by mccabe24
In fact, if you looked at actual guitar playing, Vai and Satch both blow Jimmy Page out of the water.

That is an opinion really. Depends on how you look at it.
Quote by Nacho Cheese!

I'm speaking in terms of technical guitar playing. Listen to any song by Vai or Satch, then listen to the solo to Hearbreaker. Notice how Page's solo is sloppy, inarticulate and full of other "mistakes." That said, those "mistakes" do make up Page's style, but that still shows that he is far inferior to Steve Vai or Joe Satriani in terms of technical ablility.
Quote by Nacho Cheese!

Nope, it's fact. Satch and Vai are better guitar players.
Technical terms yes I will agree that, that one is a fact. But as guitarists no, it isn't a fact. There is more to guitar then just technique.
^ which wasn't mentioned, yes.
and if i can remember correctly, this thread should be about a technique, and suggesting a song in which that technique could be used.
Quote by mccabe24
Umm, Mr. Sophist, comparing a band like Led Zeppelin to people like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani is increadibly dumb. The type of music they play is completly different. They wrote music in a style that had already been established by bands like Cream. There was already a large demand for that kind of music before the world "got the Led out." All Led Zeppelin did was take it to the next level (and they deserve full credit for that).

Joe Satriani and Steve Vai brought something TOTALLY NEW to the world of music. They ignored what was popular at the time and wrote music that EXPRESSED THEMSELVES TO THE HIGHEST DEGREE (last time I checked, music was about expressing yourself, not album and ticket sales).

Michael Jackson's Thriller sold more copies than ANY of Led Zeppelin's albums, does that mean Michael Jackson is better than Led Zeppelin?

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Zeppelin fan. Been one for years. I just want to make it clear that just because the sold more albums and tickets than say... Steve Vai doesn't mean they are better. In fact, if you looked at actual guitar playing, Vai and Satch both blow Jimmy Page out of the water.

I'm being honest and REALLY not kidding when I say that I like Michael Jackson much better than I like Led Zeppelin. I've tried so hard but I just can't get into Led Zep, while MJ's songs are so accessible and hooky.

Whatever man, it's just personal taste. I just wanted to let you know that there is atleast one person on the UG forums that does prefer MJ to Led Zep!
Hey, that's perfectly fine. Just as long as you realize that just because you like Michael Jackson better than Led Zeppelin does not mean Michael Jackson is better than Led Zeppelin. Likewise, just because I love Led Zeppelin an can't stand Michael Jackson (well, his songs are actually kind of catchy, but I'm trying to make a point) doesn't mean Led Zeppelin is better than Michael Jackson. Like you said, it's just a matter of personal taste.
Technical ability has very little to do with making music. I've heard endless shred solo's that sound like incoherent dribble.

The only reason I brought up ticket sales is to show that more people enjoy their music. I know their music isn't better, music can't be inherently good or bad, it's all opinion. The whole point of my post was that amazing technical ability does not mean good music, and it doesn't impress very many people.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by Nacho Cheese!
Technical terms yes I will agree that, that one is a fact. But as guitarists no, it isn't a fact. There is more to guitar then just technique.

Satriani wipes the piss off the floor with page.

Joe's rhytems, Solo's, technique (for sure) destroys him.

People might like page's sound, but Joe is better in every area. He doesn't have lyrics, which is hard to survive in this day and age.

=]
/\In your opinion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
If you can't see beyond yourself fine, that's your problem. The fact is, which music is better is all about opinion. I'll agree with you in that Joe Satriani and Steve Vai are much better technically, but to say that their music is better is ridiculous, music simply can't be better.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
yay repeating festival.

i'll just be watching you guys talk about something everyone should have realized when you're past 10
Inside the Fire has a nice over-under solo.

Wasted Years opening can be done in over-under for show-offy-ness.
Last edited by xHellbound at Sep 13, 2008,