Page 1 of 2
I have a few questions on Martial Arts, I'm not sure if there is a thread on this already, if there is let me know and I'll delete this thread.

I'm 14 years old, 6'3" and 160lbs.

I'm not doing any sports, mostly because I really don't like most of the people who play them, not to mention the fact I'm not particularly good at them.

I can bench 120lbs and can run a mile in 5:34 (m:secs). I used to do track, but I have extremely flat feet and the running hurt my knees and ankles. I went to a doctor, he told me, it's not BS.

I want to find the right martial art for me. I really want to exert myself and have some more self confidence. I'm a big guy, I can handle myself, but I don't really have much to think about and be proud of.

I don't know much about Martial Arts and I'm looking for some guidance.

Sorry if this seems like a blog, thanks in advance to anyone who actually posts something helpful.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
You should tell someone who cares. Or find out for yourself. This is a guitar forum not a martial arts one.
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
Brazilian ju jitsu

or try to find a mixed martial arts place
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by swordsrkewl
You should tell someone who cares. Or find out for yourself. This is a guitar forum not a martial arts one.

Right, and "what to do at Dublin airport at 4.40am" is more related to guitars

Seriously, this is the pit, GTFO.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
kempo is always good, connects well with other styles
and dont worry too much about your weight and strength, speed and flexibilty are much more important
Quote by restless_thrash
are we in the pit?

get out of our place, you idiot.

I mean, I have seen like 3 martial arts threads in the past few weeks. I mean there are better places to look for information like youtube or wiki. I didn't want to say it, but

SEARCHBAR.
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
Krav maga. With a normal martial art video game, it's A punch, B kick, with krav maga, it's A gouge eyes out, B testicle buster.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
well, the guy who runs the gym i work at is a black belt in aikido, and thats more based around throws i think than punches.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

I'll second the brazilian jiu jitsu because its for BAMF's.

Also even though its not exactly what most would consider a 'martial art', join your school's wrestling team. That makes you super fit and badass, if not a little gay.
Well tae kwon doe is the most popular form of the martial arts, but look up martial arts on wikipedia. You have to decide which style you want to go with, from striking to grappling. From there, it stems out into individual schools.

wikipedia
At the bottom of the page, open the martial arts by focus and start looking through styles you may be interested in.

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH

THE GAME
Quote by johnEchrist

Also even though its not exactly what most would consider a 'martial art', join your school's wrestling team. That makes you super fit and badass, if not a little gay.

wrestling is awesome. You never know what your body is capable of doing until you do something extreme training wise like wrestling
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Tae Kwan Do.
Holy **** you're tall for 14. I'm 15 and only 5' 8 and 150 pounds. Jeez dude.

I feel short.

I'm 15, 5'7'' and 150 lbs.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
well im a 2nd degree black belt in TKD and i love tkd,im 14 140 lbs and 6'0 so i think you should try tae kwan do,and evrey one stop giving him a hard time i could kick anyones ass in the whole pit
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
oh and iv been wrestling seince i was 6 and i do mixed martial arts
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
Quote by johnEchrist

I did, being 6'3" does NOT help you wrestle. I can get the soda and chips off of the top shelf, but when some little bugger a foot shorter than me but weighted down with as much muscle to weigh the same as me, I go down. Hard.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by saitenslayer
well im a 2nd degree black belt in TKD and i love tkd,im 14 140 lbs and 6'0 so i think you should try tae kwan do,and evrey one stop giving him a hard time i could kick anyones ass in the whole pit

I doubt that very seriously.

Quote by saitenslayer
oh and iv been wrestling seince i was 6 and i do mixed martial arts

STFU and stop bragging.
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Last edited by Fryer Mike at Aug 26, 2008,
third on the jiu jitsu, but throw in some kickboxing too.

if you're built like you say, you might look at competing a little when you get older and more experienced. I do a bit and it's a great way to not only test your ability, but to center yourself, and to have something to drive your working at your skills and general health
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Quote by Dinodrummer
Do MMA

One Martial Art < Every martial art

This is true. I just said bjj and wrestling because it's easier to find places that teach those than mma.
Muay thai is sounded right for you. its very hardcore though so if youre going to pansy out its not for you. another good one would be krav maga
Quote by RyanGillam
You got to admire people that share their problems over the internet.

Quote by Våd Hamster
....You need a girlfriend whose name doesn't end in .jpg >_>
I did Tae Kwon Do for 10 years, it was fun, a good mix of fighting and mental-training (i went to a good tae kwon do studio though, not some "anyone can train here"/instructor isn't even asian one, you gotta watch out for those)

I hear mixed martial arts is fun too, so you may want to consider that as well.
Quote by Wulphy
Right, and "what to do at Dublin airport at 4.40am" is more related to guitars

Seriously, this is the pit, GTFO.

i said scream "i have a bomb"
Quote by RU Experienced?

Quote by darkstar2466
Quote by swordsrkewl
I mean, I have seen like 3 martial arts threads in the past few weeks. I mean there are better places to look for information like youtube or wiki. I didn't want to say it, but

SEARCHBAR.

You really keep track of the Martial Arts threads?! Maybe you should take Martial Arts to get you away from your computer. How embarrassing... jk

Anyways... TS, try something that you think looks interesting. Just don't get into UFC crap. There is nothing in that sport that should even share the name of any Martial Art styles. Muay Thai kicks... yeah... that was just a kick in the shin.
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
Quote by Johl
You really keep track of the Martial Arts threads?! Maybe you should take Martial Arts to get you away from your computer. How embarrassing... jk

Anyways... TS, try something that you think looks interesting. Just don't get into UFC crap. There is nothing in that sport that should even share the name of any Martial Art styles. Muay Thai kicks... yeah... that was just a kick in the shin.

shows how much knowledge you have buddy
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by Fryer Mike
I doubt that very seriously.

STFU and stop bragging.

just speaking the truth!im not stoping till im a 3rd degree
Quote by RU Experienced?

Quote by darkstar2466
Quote by saitenslayer

true badasses don't really need to go around bragging.

I've seen dudes that are high ranked black belts get their asses beat bad by some biker in a bar
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by Wulphy
I did, being 6'3" does NOT help you wrestle. I can get the soda and chips off of the top shelf, but when some little bugger a foot shorter than me but weighted down with as much muscle to weigh the same as me, I go down. Hard.

I can kinda imagine though look at Ben Askren (he's a freak though). I wrestle and I'm decently short and but not as much as most wrestlers.

If your so tall you should try something standup (like muay thai or kickboxing)because of your obvious reach advantage.

Or if your flexible Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
I wrestle and like some martial arts it's less about muscle and more about leverage although alot of people will tell you it's all about muscle but it's not. My coach taught me how to lift with my legs and they put a guy at about 200 pounds on my back and I was able to stand up. And saitenslayer if you're just here to brag get the **** out.
Quote by saitenslayer

That's nice.
We don't need to know any of your stupid bullsh*t though.
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by Fryer Mike
That's nice.
We don't need to know any of your stupid bullsh*t though.

f*ck you
Quote by RU Experienced?

Quote by darkstar2466
Quote by abcdboy
Krav maga. With a normal martial art video game, it's A punch, B kick, with krav maga, it's A gouge eyes out, B testicle buster.

Aw dude, you beat me to it. Yeah, hardcore Jews in Israel learn Krav Maga, it's an intense form of self-defense. I doubt he'd be able to find a class that teaches it though.
I've always tried to stay in shape, but I really didn't have anything to be in shape for, you know? Feeling good is great, but taking two hours out of my day to exercise and lift like I used to just seems so pointless.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I would go for the MMA styles, you know, the ones that are actually useful in a real fight senario.

BJJ is awesome, I did that for awhile and it got me in good shape and really helps you on the ground...

Muay Tai Kickboxing. Seriously man, your 6'3. You obviously have long arms and legs, what better real fighting style to do than this? Get you in insane shape and teach you how to defend yourself foreal, unlike karate or any of that useless ****.
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
Quote by JLT73
shows how much knowledge you have buddy

lol! I'll be honest, I don't take Martial Arts or anything, but a friend of mine is a teaching instructor now at the school he got his belts in. He has a large distaste for UFC b/c it doesn't really involve Martial Arts. It use to. Just not anymore.
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
Page 1 of 2