Who cares?
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I'm like 95% sure this thread will get closed. And what do you mean by guitar work? As in playing or as in the actual work put into making guitars?
I'll believe in anything and you'll believe in anything.
last.fm
Assuming you mean guitar playing...

I dunno. It's fairly annoying to me, especially when non-musicians are mostly only impressed by Dragonforce-style guitar pyrotechnics. People just don't understand soul.
Why don't people appreciate anything?

Because it doesn't interest them, perhaps?

I could wax lyrical about how amazing organic synthesis is, but would you appreciate it?
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
im a guitarist and im hardly impressed by guitar work, i would way rather hear good songwriting and composing than an 8 minute long solo
Quote by cokeisbetter
Assuming you mean guitar playing...

I dunno. It's fairly annoying to me, especially when non-musicians are mostly only impressed by Dragonforce-style guitar pyrotechnics. People just don't understand soul.

If by soul you mean blues licks/phrasing a la led zeppelin or any "classic rock band", everyone is has heard that a million times. I am personally sick of hearing every****ing guitarist play the same ****. Music just needs good songwriters that express original ideas with instruments and create texture in the mix, theres too many guitar players that write guitar music.
I'm sick of hearing kids scream "Dragonforce has the best guitar player ever" and then I show them Chet Atkins play a very complex melody on top of a bass line all played by him alone, and they label it garbage because it isn't 1,000 notes per second.
I show them this video in particular.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsePsTEgiqU
Does UG like this video?
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
No one ever cared about great guitar work. Ever. People like music because it is aurally pleasing. No one but fucking annoying guitar nerds actually cares about the technical skill involved.
dude wtf......... bussiness is kinda easy in certain ways. but the technical paper work and knowing all the loop holes and crap like that is wayyyyyyy harder but thats more lawyer stuff. idk i found running rolling thunder productions (music studio) pretty easy, besides the paperwork >.>
Anymore?
Very few people outside of actual musicians give a damn about technical skill. It's always been that way. Clapton used to whine about it too back in the sixties, so if nothing else, you're in good company.
Or at least you would be if the people with you weren't crying.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by theclowntree
im a guitarist and im hardly impressed by guitar work, i would way rather hear good songwriting and composing than an 8 minute long solo

I'm like the complete opposite of you.

I absolutely love well put together guitar solos and straight up guitar songs like cliffs of dover and technical difficulties. My ipod's full of that kind of stuff. When I listen to music I tend to completely ignore everything except for the lead guitar parts of a song. Generally I don't give a crap about lyrics or anything, just a beautiful well written guitar piece is where it's at for me.

People don't care for guitar much anymore, it's all about "deep emotional lyrics" or "rap" nowadays. Although I have been told I could give women orgasms with my playing on multiple occasions.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Quote by CatchTheRhythm
If by soul you mean blues licks/phrasing a la led zeppelin or any "classic rock band", everyone is has heard that a million times. I am personally sick of hearing every****ing guitarist play the same ****. Music just needs good songwriters that express original ideas with instruments and create texture in the mix, theres too many guitar players that write guitar music.

By 'soul' I mean that, and also just being good. It's not necessarily about the blues. There's soul in rock, funk, jazz, jam, psychedelic trippyness, metal, reggae, rap, whatever genre you care to name. It's about playing something creative, interesting, musical, and beautiful, rather than just wanking away at 300 bpm. That's not to say that wanking away at 300 bpm can't be good; it just gets old after a while.
It's all about speed now. Well... not maintream now.

Mainstream now is all that Alternative stuff with lyrics that don't make sense. I love classical music.

Or Neo-classical music.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Because people like entertainment. If they're not guitarists, they're more likely to be impressed by pyrotechnics or visual things rather than blazing guitar licks.
Quote by Fryer Mike
I love classical music.

People don't appreciate great orchestral work any more.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Seriously, people who think bands that play notes all the time (coughDRAGONFORCEcough) are the greatest need to open up. Check out guitarists like BB King. He can't really shred, but it's really the soul you put into your music.

And other than that, people like nothing like rap. And speaking of this trend, it really does make me think of Pantera's "The Great Southern Trendkill". Great song by the way..
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
Quote by Dwardom
I'm sick of hearing kids scream "Dragonforce has the best guitar player ever" and then I show them Chet Atkins play a very complex melody on top of a bass line all played by him alone, and they label it garbage because it isn't 1,000 notes per second.
Does UG like this video?

Wow. That's a beautiful song.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
It's more about the music than the skill.

Dragonforce is worthless.
But Buckethead on the other hand has been so diverse through all of the years I've listened to him. He's a genius. He did something new with music.

Sure, it's "guitar music". But the talent to write the speedy solos into the brilliant masterpieces he has...

I personally appreciate song writing more than skill.

I appreciate guitar work..
But.. Only if the person doing the work knows how to write well, and that person is unique.

In todays music world, 95% of people are copies.
We need more unique material out there.

Humans have more mental and physical potential than they take advantage of.
"If you find your truth, follow it. People may say, "What the heck are you doing?" But it's OK if they don't get it. If you follow it, stay true to it, and respect it, you may be in store for the greatest journey you could ever imagine." - Buckethead
Quote by Dwardom
Does UG like this video?

My friend said that EXACT line.

after he says it:
Me: Do you know who Herman Li or Sam Totman are?
Him: No.

Rawr! I'm a dinosaur