I was looking on Craigslist for a new amp and I found a Peavey XXL 212. And I was wondering which would be better for metal. XXL 212 or Valveking 212? I dont know if this guy is still selling it though. And would it be loud enough for practice?
Quote by mikeyElite
i'd go for the XXL.

+1

VK's are weak.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
The XXL is a good solid state, IMO.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Dimebag Bill
Is the XXL loud? And is it good, i mean its not tube.

Yeah it should be pretty loud.

It's pretty nice for a SS especially for metal tones. VK can't really do great metal tone IMO.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
I say go Randall.

The XXLs are kind of rubbish. They're really flubby on the low end. Especially on the Ultra channel.
I own a XXL halfstack version for 2 years now. It's really nice for cleans (with propper eq), imo better than anything else of the same price, it even beats some (bad) tube amps, and you can get a crunchy tone (a bit tube like) by using the gain control on the clean channel.

I use a Blackstar pedal for metal distortion, because I didn't like the build-in distortion channel, I find it to be muddy. Some people like the lead-channel however, I guess it's a matter of taste.

It's definately loud enough for band practice, but the power is switchable (25/50/100W) so it's also useable for bedroom pratice.

If you buy the amp you might want to consider a speaker swap (same with valveking). Peavey speaker aren't the best on the market, and the Blue Marvel (in the 212) is their cheapest speaker. Other than that, it's a really good amp.
Last edited by Voya at Aug 26, 2008,
^ Or the Peavey Ultra, these amps will keep up with the big boys (dual rectos, ENGL and Krank, just to name a few), My tripple XXX with tube upgrades, and proper biasing sounded better than the mesa boogie Stiletto we demoed this last weekend. They are defenitly a great bang for your buck, also the XXX and JSX stock speakers suit the amp very well, I read that they are just Vintage 30 clones, probably why they sound good. Only the XXX and JSX have the V30 clones, the Ultra has the Crappy shefield.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by Johnbryant
^ Or the Peavey Ultra, these amps will keep up with the big boys (dual rectos, ENGL and Krank, just to name a few), My tripple XXX with tube upgrades, and proper biasing sounded better than the mesa boogie Stiletto we demoed this last weekend. They are defenitly a great bang for your buck, also the XXX and JSX stock speakers suit the amp very well, I read that they are just Vintage 30 clones, probably why they sound good. Only the XXX and JSX have the V30 clones, the Ultra has the Crappy shefield.

My triple xxx has the sheffield. :'(

But it still sounds amazing, especially because of the active pickups in my new guitar.
^ Is Chrome? if so its techincally the the triple XXX speaker, in the corner its says "a sheffield speaker" or somthing. The thing is not all Sheffields are alike, they are all a custom speaker peavey has custom made but there are a few different models, the chromes ones in the JSX and XXX are V30 clones, the one that doesn't sound good is the 1230 its supose to emulate the sound of a Green Back that is worn out, I do not like this one at all.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by yoyodunno
My triple xxx has the sheffield. :'(

But it still sounds amazing, especially because of the active pickups in my new guitar.

I'm guessing it's a Dean Vendetta.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I'm guessing it's a Dean Vendetta.

No its kinda similar, but the headstock is the same shape as those Jacksons.
The person i got it from said it supposedly started the Dean Custom 450 series.
Last edited by yoyodunno at Aug 26, 2008,
Quote by Johnbryant
^ Is Chrome? if so its techincally the the triple XXX speaker, in the corner its says "a sheffield speaker" or somthing. The thing is not all Sheffields are alike, they are all a custom speaker peavey has custom made but there are a few different models, the chromes ones in the JSX and XXX are V30 clones, the one that doesn't sound good is the 1230 its supose to emulate the sound of a Green Back that is worn out, I do not like this one at all.

Yeah its chrome and says 'A Sheffield speaker'.
this is my friends band. one is using a peavey xxl and the other is using an xl supreme which i think is pretty similar

http://www.myspace.com/amongstthedeadla
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
The XXL is loud enough for practice, yet it still sounds good at bedroom level. It can get a decent tone or 2 on each of the channels and has a surprisingly decent clean channel while the ultra channel has enough gain for most applications.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master