Page 1 of 2
metal started higher pitched and in standard tuning with bands like judas priest, iron maiden, and diamond head. rarely do these bands down tune, or sing low notes. excessive use of falsetto. im thinking when things started to get more extreme, bands took thins high pitched approach and black metal and melodeath were created. but what band/bands made metal get more lower pitched? what inspired drop c and vocals like necrophagist and the like? how did it go from halford and dickinsons falsetto to george fishers gutturals?
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
The answer to this is simple: Sabbath.
Epiphone SG - modded like crazy and sent through hell and back
Crate Flexwave 120 watt half stack -

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell
maybe i dont know because i dont listen to sabbath(there i said it) lol what aspect of them?
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
You Dont Listen To Sabbath!?
A Sin To All Metal
Youre Here By Banished From Metal In All Of Its Entirty
It just makes it that much heavier. When they tune down that low those strings are usually pretty heavy gauged. Plus, the style of singing has changed completely. No one goes to those high Dio notes anymore. Dudes are growling these days.
I (still, after everything) believe in Billy Corgan.
Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath) lost some fingers in an industrial accident. He made prosthetic ones out of melted plastic. To compensate for the pain the fake fingers caused him, he tuned his guitar down to C#

Edit- quick fact check it is C# (for those of you who are counting thats a 3 half steps down)
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Gandhi
Last edited by The McManus at Aug 26, 2008,
Quote by Linqua5150
metal started higher pitched and in standard tuning with bands like judas priest, iron maiden, and diamond head. rarely do these bands down tune, or sing low notes. excessive use of falsetto. im thinking when things started to get more extreme, bands took thins high pitched approach and black metal and melodeath were created. but what band/bands made metal get more lower pitched? what inspired drop c and vocals like necrophagist and the like? how did it go from halford and dickinsons falsetto to george fishers gutturals?

It's kind of apparent where the change in the music came from. It's all in search for that dark sound. People think by tuning their guitars to drop C and growling is what makes music heavy, but they are terribly mistaken.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Quote by Riffomatic_5000
It's kind of apparent where the change in the music came from. It's all in search for that dark sound. People think by tuning their guitars to drop C and growling is what makes music heavy, but they are terribly mistaken.

exactly, the guy with the E-Standard using Opeth Avatar knows the deal
Quote by Diamond Dave
exactly, the guy with the E-Standard using Opeth Avatar knows the deal

Tehehe!

I am teh master of all teh knowledges!
Quote by Riffomatic_5000

Wait wait wait.
So are you saying that dropped tunings and growling doesnt make music heavy?
Well I can see what your saying if your saying just by doing that your music wont be heavier.
But the bands that do drop down really low today are 5000 times heavier then anything before.
They have been learning the science of heavy.
Because their balls dropped...
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Riffomatic, I'm gonna assume you meant that 'downtuning/growling doesn't automatically make a band heavy' rather than writing off all bands that downtune/growl which is what it first came across as
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
It allowed them to achieve the sound they wanted. Plus, its more accessible. Many more people can growl. very few can sing high
Quote by anthrax233
Wait wait wait.
So are you saying that dropped tunings and growling doesnt make music heavy?
Well I can see what your saying if your saying just by doing that your music wont be heavier.
But the bands that do drop down really low today are 5000 times heavier then anything before.
They have been learning the science of heavy.

It doesn't. There are some bands who Tune to Standard that are way heavier than some of the bands in Drop A or whatever....There's a Classical type song called One Winged Angel. When it has a trap set behind it I can headbang to it......

but yea, all Sabbath
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Maybe I'm somewhat wrong here, but I think it came firstly from Black Sabbath who inspired Venom. They tuned down to C# and Chronos singed with a more raspy, guttural voice than usual. From there it leads on since a lot of the first death an black metal bands claim to have benn influenced by Venom.
Metal started with Black Sabbath. Metal got lower pitched with Black Sabbath
Because it's Dark, Evil and Br00tal.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Ladysmith Black Mambazo.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by MHDrunk
Riffomatic, I'm gonna assume you meant that 'downtuning/growling doesn't automatically make a band heavy' rather than writing off all bands that downtune/growl which is what it first came across as

You're correct. I apologize for not being a little more clear on that.
Quote by dminishedthingy
Carcass, cause they play in drop Z

I don't get this joke (I've heard it before too), Carcass doesn't tune THAT low and use a non-dropped tuning .
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
I don't get this joke (I've heard it before too), Carcass doesn't tune THAT low and use a non-dropped tuning .

I think last time dminishedthingy was around the forum it was a reasonably popular in-joke that has since fallen out of favour.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
yeah, someone started a thread because a magazine had an article saying something about Carcass playing in drop z and he wanted to know if that was an actual tuning
it seems that since i was banned people have forgotten...
Quote by MoFly41
Plus, the style of singing has changed completely. No one goes to those high Dio notes anymore. Dudes are growling these days.

...the ****?

Oh hi Russell Allen and half my playlist!
Lost interest.
Quote by piratemetalhead
Tony Iommo's chopped off fingers.

Sorry, but Iommo?
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by dminishedthingy
it seems that since i was banned people have forgotten...

Well that's what you get for getting banned you silly bar-steward
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Sorry, but Iommo?

I kind missed that, "o" is close to "i" on my keyboard so.... yeah
mr. b. dozer

to purchase this recording;

musicians were looking for something different and lower tuning on guitars is the start.
and i'm going to piss off sheep by saying sabbath was not the reason the lower tuning
started it was death metal and black metal and the desire to sound as vicious and doomy
as possible. gutteral vocals also came into play "cookie monster" later...

the link above shows an example of a rock based format tuned to low b...

alice in chains c sharp, pantera went a lower tuning each cd from cowboys to whatever...
bands like mortician are f#... or g flat. go figure. drop d, drop a etc... and on it goes.

i think that's another reason 7 string guitars, 5 string basses ect also became popular.
sabbath is not really "heavy" in sense of todays definition of heavy.

editor
Quote by ZylitoL
...the ****?

Oh hi Russell Allen and half my playlist!

+1

Don't forget Tim Owens, James LaBrie, Matt Barlow, and Hansi Kürsch, among others.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by editor
mr. b. dozer

to purchase this recording;

musicians were looking for something different and lower tuning on guitars is the start.
and i'm going to piss off sheep by saying sabbath was not the reason the lower tuning
started it was death metal and black metal and the desire to sound as vicious and doomy
as possible. gutteral vocals also came into play "cookie monster" later...

the link above shows an example of a rock based format tuned to low b...

alice in chains c sharp, pantera went a lower tuning each cd from cowboys to whatever...
bands like mortician are f#... or g flat. go figure. drop d, drop a etc... and on it goes.

i think that's another reason 7 string guitars, 5 string basses ect also became popular.
sabbath is not really "heavy" in sense of todays definition of heavy.

editor

'desire to sound as vicious and doomy' - you mean, the exact same desire as Black Sabbath? And perhaps this desire that metal in general has comes from being raised on the likes of Black Sabbath?
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Most classic black metal is in standard tuning, and tends to rely heavily on the treble end of the spectrum. Death metal bands tune down mostly because they borrow heavily from the classical/Romantic tradition of using chromatic movement at a relatively low pitch to suggest darkness, evil, death and the like.
heaviness has always been a cornerstone of metal, right from the song 'black sabbath.' iommi was one of the first to tune low (i don't know about the first 2 albums, but they at least tuned to c# on master of reality, which i'm pretty sure was released in 1972...long before alice in chains, mortician, and the like.

when judas priest started to expand more on the higher pitched, and for lack of a better word, rocking side of metal, bands started to follow, often blending in punk, creating NWOBHM, which took the focus away from lower pitched heavy riffs.

once that was gone heavy became the focus again, and the rest is history.

(not saying that no NWOBHM is heavy*)
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Page 1 of 2