Looking for a bluesy amp, that can do John Mayer well.
Narrowed it down to these two amps.
As of right now, the V50 is $200 and the HRD is $700, but I can get a used one for $500.
Is the HRD worth the extra $300 bucks?
Or should I get the V50?
i wish they had a bigger blues junior that had a more usable drive channel (imo).

the v50 is more versatile, while retaining pretty decent cleans. the hot rod has really nice shimmery cleans, great for blues, but it's overdrive sounds very...

i'd personally go for the crate.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
So v50 would be better if I would be doing more stuff then?
Because besides the JM songs we cover, we do a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers songs too.
How would it handle going to a funky side?
i'm assuming you're using a strat? if so, the v50's a better option...

but for jm and rhcp, the hot rod's cleans are more suited than the v50.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Yeah, a strat.
So the v50 is the better option, but it won't be as good as the Hot Rod?
Then how's it the better option?
the v50 has a better drive channel than the hot rod. but the hot rod has better cleans for jm and rhcp.

imo, the drive on the hot rod sucks. so i'd rather take an amp with decent cleans and decent overdrive than an amp with good cleans and crap overdrive.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
imo, the drive on the hot rod sucks. so i'd rather take an amp with decent cleans and decent overdrive than an amp with good cleans and crap overdrive.

agreed. i haven't tried the crate, but the fender HRD is very much a one-trick pony. It has nice cleans, but the overdrive channel is terrible. Not mediocre, or average, or somewhat disappointing; absolutely terrible. it's unusable, if you ask me. It does really depend on what you're after, of course- if you ONLY need cleans, then the fender might be the one to go for- but you need to be aware that you're sacrificing overdrive for cleans.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hahaha. Harsh, dave. But I agree. By itself, the drive channel is very hard to dial in a decent out of.

Have you considered a used Traynor YCV40? The OD channel is much better than the HRD's, and it also has great cleans. It's a bit more American than RHCP's brand of distortion, though. I found my YCV40 for 425. The cleans are more full than the the HRD's.

There's also the Traynor YCV50, which has more British OD, like RHCP style stuff, but the cleans aren't quite as good as the YCV40.
Quote by Dave_Mc
agreed. i haven't tried the crate, but the fender HRD is very much a one-trick pony. It has nice cleans, but the overdrive channel is terrible. Not mediocre, or average, or somewhat disappointing; absolutely terrible. it's unusable, if you ask me. It does really depend on what you're after, of course- if you ONLY need cleans, then the fender might be the one to go for- but you need to be aware that you're sacrificing overdrive for cleans.

but pushed with a ts-9 the overdrive is mediocre

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

The V50 is a more rounded amp than the HRD.
As said before, the HRD has excellent cleans and really crummy overdrive, but the crate has good cleans and good overdrive.

I say go for the V50, for it's versatility and the fact that it's on sale.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
You can get a really good overdrive tone out of an HRD if you crank the clean channel you know?

As a HRD owner though, I'd have to say go V50.

I have a clip of the HRD slightly cranked on my profile if you're interested.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Hahaha. Harsh, dave. But I agree. By itself, the drive channel is very hard to dial in a decent out of.

yeah. i mean, every time i try it, i hate it more.

Quote by timzee117
but pushed with a ts-9 the overdrive is mediocre

i guess...

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You can get a really good overdrive tone out of an HRD if you crank the clean channel you know?

i'm talking more pre-amp gain, for more modern music.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah. i mean, every time i try it, i hate it more.

i guess...

i'm talking more pre-amp gain, for more modern music.

He plays teh bl00z though.

I'm talking power-amp gain, for more bluesy music.

I wouldn't really consider RHCP or John Mayer very modern sounding anyways.
yeah, i know. that's why i put in the "depends on what you're after" bit.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i know. that's why i put in the "depends on what you're after" bit.

Ah.... Touche my wise friend.
the trick to sounding like you know what you're talking about is to always have a get-out clause, caveat, or similar in anything you say or write...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the trick to sounding like you know what you're talking about is to always have a get-out clause, caveat, or similar in anything you say or write...

That or just being Dave_Mc or Steven Seagull

That always works.
haha, there are loads of people who know more than me. i just spam a lot.

Thanks for the kind words, though, they're much appreciated.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
HRD + TS9 = Win imo
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Haven't tried the V50, I own one of the older V30's (the v3112t) and it sounds farkin amazing with my tex-mex modded squire. Of course i wasn't really impressed with crate when they started putting their name on the amp and started makin them in China, mine's from St. Louis... but anyway if the new V50 is anything like the old ones than you can get perfect Mayer tones with it, they had a spring reverb that was perfect for that style