I just got a 2007 Honda Accord Coupe for my first car. It was 22k with 15k miles on it. I love the thing so far (been a month). However, my friend is looking to buy a car soon and he is finding all of these used WRXs, 300ZXs, and Mustangs and **** like that for 15k and under. I feel like I could have got some gnarly sports car for cheaper than mine.
Are used sports cars really a bitch to take care of? I mean you could spend 6 grand on a 300ZX and put in 15 grand worth of repairs and it would still be less than my car and a whole lot faster. Did I get ripped off or something?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst 500t/490r
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier Rect-O-Verb Series 2 Head
Carvin vt412 4x12 cabinet
In my personal opinion, it's good to start out with a relatively ****ty car so when you actually DO get a car like a WRX or a 300ZX, you can truly appreciate it.

Same goes for guitars.

Hell, anything in general.

Also, heavily modified cars depreciate, on top of that, the insurance rates are out of this freaking world for cars like that.
Quote by SmElLy KiD
That is priceless man, you might be my new idol.

TS, whenever I see your username, I misread it as "isuckhardcocks."

Just had to get that out there.

We're ticking away, the moments that make up the dull days
For one thing, the petrol/gas is more expensive in a muscle car as it uses more, I suppose.

And your friend is maybe looking in the right place - there are cheap ads in muscle car magazines, with classifieds, dealers, etc. advertising old Mustangs and Vipers for around what you got your Accord for.

If you like the Accord, keep it. It will be more economical on fuel. However, if you don't like it, and can afford the fuel, sell it and get what muscle car you want. You just gotta look in the right places... try getting a few muscle car enthusiast magazines.

But be prepared for stupid hippies giving you the evil-eye in the street
i bought a 1990 Camaro with a s/b 350 for $1500.00 but i get 12 mpg....that car is alot of fun...when it's running right... though i don't reccomend buying a high maintenence car unless you can do it yourself...you'll save alot of money turning your own wrenches.
Last edited by INFLAMES2468 at Aug 26, 2008,
Who cares that you get bad mileage? You payed 1500 for your ****ing car. I don't get this ****, I bought a 20 thousand dollar car and get better mileage buy I spent ****ing 19,000 more than you so who ****ing cares? Man this **** is outrageous, what is the point of buying a prius or some **** when they are 20 grand and you can get an old sports car for 3 grand or something and in 5 years still cost less than a prius. What the **** man.
Then pay for repairs it still isn't going to be 20k plus for a damn while.
Quote by Karg45
Then pay for repairs it still isn't going to be 20k plus for a damn while.

my car will break down every few weeks, which sucks because i still have to get to work and all that....but at the same time, i love workin on cars...it keeps me out of trouble...so again i say unless you can work on your own car, don't bother...
How old are you?? 22k on a first car is quite extravagant. I mean if you worked for it i respect that but if your parents bought it for you be happy with it.
is your accord the v6 model? or is it the 4 cylinder?

and does it have a manual transmission?
Quote by EJD
For one thing, the petrol/gas is more expensive in a muscle car as it uses more, I suppose.

And your friend is maybe looking in the right place - there are cheap ads in muscle car magazines, with classifieds, dealers, etc. advertising old Mustangs and Vipers for around what you got your Accord for.

If you like the Accord, keep it. It will be more economical on fuel. However, if you don't like it, and can afford the fuel, sell it and get what muscle car you want. You just gotta look in the right places... try getting a few muscle car enthusiast magazines.

But be prepared for stupid hippies giving you the evil-eye in the street

Alright, in the friendliest way possible, let me point out a few wrong things I've read here.

1.) The use of "muscle car" is incorrect here. In all honesty, a true muscle car hasn't been built since the early 1970s, before the Oil Crisis and stricter standards from the United States government wiped those cars off of the map. Basically, a muscle car is any mainstream family coupe (not sedan; you will never find a 1970 Chevelle SS sedan because GM didn't offer that package with that bodystyle) built between around 1960 to 1973 with a big engine.

2.) A 300ZX does not fit the "muscle car" bill. The 300ZX is a sports car derived from the original Datsun 240Z of the 1970s which was conceived to compete with such cars like the Porsche 911 and Chevrolet Corvette but at a much more affordable price point at the time.

3.) The Mustang is a pony car. When Ford first designed the Mustang, they were not building it with class-dominating performance in mind. It was supposed to be a fun, affordable car that would appeal to a range of buyers from young to old, men to women. It wasn't until Carrol Shelby started tuning them that they really began to gain more Hi-Po variations.

4.) Again, the Viper is not a muscle car, it is another sports car, actually in fact bordering on supercar territory. Most Vipers have V-10 engines capable of producing power and performance figures comparable to some Lamborghinis and the like. It is not a muscle car. And good luck buying a used Viper for the price of a new Accord (welcome to www.notgonnahappen.com).

5.) Not all sports cars are inefficient. Most owners of the F4 (fourth-generation) Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 with the six-speed manual transmission actually see around 20 - 25 real-world (mixed-conditions) mpg. Some C5 (fifth-generation) Corvette hardtop owners have also seen the same efficiency results. If you drive logically, these cars can be just as efficient as most later model Accords.

Myself, I would trade in the Accord for something a little more ... menacing. How does a V6 version of the new Dodge Challenger sound? It's actually decent on gas, is reasonably quick, and stickers in at $21,000 bucks base. And the base model is not some stripper, either. And the Honda would have good resale value, so don't worry too much about some huge difference between the two cars.
honestly, if you accord is the v6 version, id keep it.

if its only the 4 cylinder, and you really want to trade it in, go ahead.
You will waste so much money on cars like that. Its not worth it. Just wait till after college then getting a sweet ride.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
If you find one of those cars under 9-10k, it's either probably a fake or is in crappy shape. Most likely. And either way, Honda's get hella better mileage than a mustang. And although gas prices went down recently, it's gonna suck later on when your car only gets 15 mpg. Also yes, most sports cars are more money to maintain and to take into repair. You'll also have to pay a little more money for insurance since you're gonna drive a "sports" car. Yea you can get a mustang for under 15k, but it's your choice.

I got my passat for 9k and i love her. besides, as long as you drive well, blast some metal, and drive good, it's just as cool
Quote by dcdossett65
You will waste so much money on cars like that. Its not worth it. Just wait till after college then getting a sweet ride.

Wrong.

Before I go to college, I plan on purchasing the 2010 Camaro when it rolls out this spring as a graduation gift and because I honestly need a new car that doesn't need something new to be repaired just about every month. (The reasons stretch just beyond that; thinking about it it's a better financial decision that just keeping my used car and driving it through college and spending a portion of my paycheck after paycheck on repairs).

I've done the math, done the research, and it will not cost no more to maintain than any other two-door coupe out there. The 3.6L V6 is a corporate GM engine used in Chevrolet Malibus, Saturn Auras, Cadillac CTSs ... replacement parts will not exactly be a tough, expensive challenge to wrestle with.

Fuel costs won't be much as the new Camaro gets 26 mpg in mixed/real-world conditions. Not exactly eye-popping, jaw-dropping outstanding, but then again we are talking about a sports coupe that weighs nearly two-tonnes here and not a compact car like a Civic.

Honestly, does anyone else actually sit down and think outside of the box here?
Quote by Lenin's Tomb
Alright, in the friendliest way possible, let me point out a few wrong things I've read here.

1.) The use of "muscle car" is incorrect here. In all honesty, a true muscle car hasn't been built since the early 1970s, before the Oil Crisis and stricter standards from the United States government wiped those cars off of the map. Basically, a muscle car is any mainstream family coupe (not sedan; you will never find a 1970 Chevelle SS sedan because GM didn't offer that package with that bodystyle) built between around 1960 to 1973 with a big engine.

2.) A 300ZX does not fit the "muscle car" bill. The 300ZX is a sports car derived from the original Datsun 240Z of the 1970s which was conceived to compete with such cars like the Porsche 911 and Chevrolet Corvette but at a much more affordable price point at the time.

3.) The Mustang is a pony car. When Ford first designed the Mustang, they were not building it with class-dominating performance in mind. It was supposed to be a fun, affordable car that would appeal to a range of buyers from young to old, men to women. It wasn't until Carrol Shelby started tuning them that they really began to gain more Hi-Po variations.

4.) Again, the Viper is not a muscle car, it is another sports car, actually in fact bordering on supercar territory. Most Vipers have V-10 engines capable of producing power and performance figures comparable to some Lamborghinis and the like. It is not a muscle car. And good luck buying a used Viper for the price of a new Accord (welcome to www.notgonnahappen.com).

5.) Not all sports cars are inefficient. Most owners of the F4 (fourth-generation) Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 with the six-speed manual transmission actually see around 20 - 25 real-world (mixed-conditions) mpg. Some C5 (fifth-generation) Corvette hardtop owners have also seen the same efficiency results. If you drive logically, these cars can be just as efficient as most later model Accords.

Sorry, Mr. Anal
^^Just have to laugh at the fact that you think "26 mpg" is good fuel economy
Quote by David w
^^Just have to laugh at the fact that you think "26 mpg" is good fuel economy

It is if you're driving a 93 F150 with a 4.9L Straight 6 in it that gets 20 max.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Quote by INFLAMES2468
i bought a 1990 Camaro with a s/b 350 for $1500.00 but i get 12 mpg....that car is alot of fun... though i don't reccomend buying a high maintenence car unless you can do it yourself...you'll save alot of money turning your own wrenches.

+1 I own a '90 Iroc It gets about 15-20 mpg though(but when you lay down on the gas you can *see* the gas needle start moving to the E!). Only thing that sucks about older Camaros is that most people just drive the hell out of them and finding one that runs well is a rarity for the most part(With the exception of the Yugo, just about any car can practically last forever if you take care of it.)

Working on your own stuff is not only a good way to appreciate what you have; but it's a good way to not get screwed over(hell, just learning how to do simple maintenance like tune ups and oil changes can save you more money than you think).

I also agree with the first reply somewhat. While I wouldn't suggest just getting any beater; getting something that isn't particularly special as your first car is a great idea until you get used to the idea of driving.
"Sticking Feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"--Tyler Durden

Cufk, TisH, Sips
Last edited by OffspringPhreak at Aug 28, 2008,
Depends where you are. If you're in the UK and he buys something like that, he gunna get raped for insurance.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Depends where you are. If you're in the UK and he buys something like that, he gunna get raped for insurance.

If they would even insure that
The honda is also more efficient and I reckon they look damn groovy, as for how they drive, I can't say, but I would imagine well.

I'm stuck with a pos integra that some asshole smashed into... now it floods with water which damaged my stacker and amp... so I had to take everything out, it's a shell now.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by JackalUK
If they would even insure that

That's a good point. Anything above 2 litre and you aint getting insurance if you're below 20. Especially if you don't have no claims bonus.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I just found out today from my insurance company, that they're so thick that they consider an "Exhaust System" to be Cat Back. They dont consider Extractors to be part of the Exhaust system, so if you have a cat back system, plus extractors, you've technically got two modifications, which, is a no-no.

Not to mention the fact that i took rims one inch bigger than the ones that came stock on my car, were made by the same manufacturer and put them on my car, thats also a modification, not an accessory, when it is LAW that your rim size can be two inches larger than what it came out with from factory.

Im paying 2.5k a year to insure my car which wont be covered if i crash and dont get a chance to change all my **** over.

****ing gay ****s. How else am i meant to keep my 220rwkw?
UG BLS Chapter.
SDMF#UG001
SDMF#UG002-faqu
SDMF#UG003-pantera-nat124
tell your mate, good luck with getting insurance!
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
i have to admit, I laughed a little

at long f*cking last... a decent compliment

I POSTED THE PEAR ALL I GOT WAS A LOUSY WARNING
Quote by Lenin's Tomb

Correction on #2. Actually, the 300ZX is seen by many to be a modern day muscle car. Because of its power, and the way it handles. The 300ZX was not intended to be a true sports car like the 240Z, or follow the sports car formula. Just driving one will give you that impression very quickly. Ask any Nissan owner, or Nissan themselves and they'll tell you that.

Correction on #4. Actually, the Viper is seen as and considered to be a modern day muscle car. I don't need to verify that one, as generally it is something that is widely known by many.
Be cool.
I am 18 and did receive the Accord for my first car. I just calculated my mileage again and got 20 mpg. This is starting to piss me off. Not only do I have a slow 2.4l l4 engine but I also get extremely mediocre mileage. I can't exactly sell it because my parents would get angry. They did buy the car with the help of some inheritance money, and don't get me wrong I am very grateful to have a car at all. I just feel bad that my parents had to spend a lot of money on something I don't enjoy as much as I could have with a car half the price.
Also my insurance per month is $150 dollars. Seems pretty outrageous for such a slow car. This doesn't seem far off from a 350z or some shit.
Those cars are so cheap because
1. People race the shit out of them until its in poor condition, or
2. They try to fix up the car and make it faster or more flashy and end up ruining it somehow, or
3. Insurance/gas/repairs are too expensive.
Quote by WaggyPlank
so yeah, now i have poop floating around in my ballsack.
Quote by Karg45
I am 18 and did receive the Accord for my first car. I just calculated my mileage again and got 20 mpg. This is starting to piss me off. Not only do I have a slow 2.4l l4 engine but I also get extremely mediocre mileage. I can't exactly sell it because my parents would get angry. They did buy the car with the help of some inheritance money, and don't get me wrong I am very grateful to have a car at all. I just feel bad that my parents had to spend a lot of money on something I don't enjoy as much as I could have with a car half the price.

That's because, as much you hate the fact, your parents are way smarter than you. They know that the Accord is, safer, more reliable, and will hold it's value better than any of the cars you've mentioned. You are also much less likely to do something stupid in it resulting in your death.

I'm 35 yrs old BTW and used to think just like you. I've seen the error of my ways over the years.
Taylor GS8 Rosewood/Spruce
Also, that's one hell of a car you have. My wife and I both drive Honda and love them. We're old and have good jobs and bought them ourselves. I'd love to buy one of my kids a Honda for their first car.

If one of them complained about it, even on an internet forum, and I found out...I'd stab them in the face. Especially one that is damn near new like yours.

Once again, I understand the desire for a speedy hot rod, but you could be literally driving that car in 10 yrs without putting a dime into it other than routine maintenace. To me that's appealing and sensible. To you driving a Mustang would be "cool" when in reality you'd just be another douchebag in a Mustang to everyone else.

My brother has a 91 Civic with over 350,000 miles on it btw.
Taylor GS8 Rosewood/Spruce
Quote by Karg45

Change your driving style, that will improve economy.

Slow? a 2.4l Accord shouldn't be slow. My 1.2 Corsa is slow, it barely makes 120mph flat out.

Quote by Karg45
Also my insurance per month is $150 dollars. Seems pretty outrageous for such a slow car. This doesn't seem far off from a 350z or some shit.

That's rediculously cheap considering you're 18 and driving a 2.4l. In the UK wouldn't get insured.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau