I'm looking to basically replace all the electronics in a Les Paul of mine, which currently has some ultra-cheap Chinese crap in it that loses all treble the second you touch any of the knobs and the volume and tone don't roll off very well anyway, they're pretty much 'all or nothing'. I have no idea what parts are actually best to use though, so...

1) I've heard there are things you can add/remove/change that can stop the guitar from losing treble response when you turn down the volume (while the tone control still works like normal). What is this/how do I do this?

2) I've been told by some people I'll want to get CTS pots - other people have advised I get Alpha pots. Any real difference between them? Is it just different brands for essentially the same thing? Is one better than the other?

3) I've also been advised to get 250k pots for the two tone controls and 500k for the two volume controls, while some other people have told me I should use 500k pots for all four controls. It's just two straight forward humbuckers being used, with no special set-up or wiring, just your very basic Les Paul configuration. Which is better?
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
1) look for "treble bleed mod". By adding a capacitor (high pass filter) you can let more highs get through. Be aware that your guitar will sound quite thin when the volume is rolled back.
2) no idea, but I don't think it'll make such a big difference. However, good pots are important.
3) For regular humbuckers I would use 500's as they make your guitar sound a bit brighter (which is what your after). 250's can be used on allready bright pickups (single coils and high quality humbuckers).
You want to use 500k for all the controls (assuming your LP is double humbucker)

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
yep, 500k always for humbuckers.
Alpha are good, CTS are quite good, but are considerably more expensive.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by MrFlibble
1) I've heard there are things you can add/remove/change that can stop the guitar from losing treble response when you turn down the volume (while the tone control still works like normal). What is this/how do I do this?
http://projectguitar.com/tut/potm.htm
Quote by MrFlibble
2) I've been told by some people I'll want to get CTS pots - other people have advised I get Alpha pots. Any real difference between them? Is it just different brands for essentially the same thing? Is one better than the other?
I don't believe all the hub-bub. I just get Alpha pots cause they're cheap, and have good tolerance. The only advantage to upgrading pots, IMO, is that you're getting a pot with a longer lifespan than your cheap ones, and that the actual value is much closer to the written value, because the tolerance is better. No real tonal benfits, IMO.

Quote by MrFlibble
3) I've also been advised to get 250k pots for the two tone controls and 500k for the two volume controls, while some other people have told me I should use 500k pots for all four controls. It's just two straight forward humbuckers being used, with no special set-up or wiring, just your very basic Les Paul configuration. Which is better?

You've got humbuckers - you're going to want 500K pots, so you can open up the high end for them. 250K pots will leave you with a really warm tone, since more of the high end goes to ground. Since humbuckers are already warm, this isn't something you want.
Thanks guys, that's pretty much cleared it all right up for me.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.