I'm looking to buy a new guitar (don't worry, this isn't a "Which guitar?" thread ) specifically for playing more shredding style stuff. I want it to have a whammy bar, and have been trying to research how much this would cost. The problem is though, I can't seem to find any guitars on the same site that come with or without, I can only find models with whammy bars and models without. This means I can't get an idea of how much it costs to add one on, so I can't get an idea of it is worth it or not.

So does anyone know how much they generally cost?

Also, are there any sites that deliver to the UK, which allow you to customise a guitar to your standard, by putting on the extras you want?

Cheers, I appreciate any replies.
on a guitar without a trem:
I'm presuming you're talking about a floyd rose style bridge here, that going to be about $200 just for the bridge

then about another $150 for installation (you have to cut a great big hole through the centre of it)

and it can't really be done on every single guitar (i.e. a regular Original Floyd Rose won't really work on something like a Les Paul)

the guitar stores probably won't do much, the just sell the stuff
you'll need to find a guitar builder/luthier of some sort
Cool. Sounds pretty much about what I thought. So if I was to buy a guitar with a ready made tremolo bar, how much are you generally paying for said bar out of the overall price for the guitar?
Yeah, It get's pricey putting a trem in. I got my Ibanez RG350DX for £300, not bad for the price. Replacing a trem, cheaper, but why buy a guitar if you don't like it?

Theres an Ibanez Gio GRG170DX for £142.50, except it looks cheap.
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
Quote by pawnshopguitars
Cool. Sounds pretty much about what I thought. So if I was to buy a guitar with a ready made tremolo bar, how much are you generally paying for said bar out of the overall price for the guitar?

less then what you'd pay to install one in a guitar that doesnt have one

if you want a trem, get a guitar that already has one

and if you want a locking trem, get a good one (i.e. avoid cheapo Ibanezes and Jacksons and such, you want an Original Floyd Rose/Ibanez Edge Pro/Ibanez ZR/Schaller/Kahler)
Quote by pawnshopguitars

Depends on how nice of a trem it is.

For an OFR, no more than 100-200$
Thanks guys, helpful answers. I refuse to turn this thread into a "What guitar should I buy" thread, so I will trouble you about that no longer

But are there any stores where you can add extras on to a basic model, in the same way that you buy a car?
Quote by seljer
and it can't really be done on every single guitar (i.e. a regular Original Floyd Rose won't really work on something like a Les Paul)

i was looking on the gibson website a while ago and someone's signatuyre les paul has a floyd rose on it
You would need to buy through a guitar manufacturers custom program, which adds a decent sum of cash compared to buying one of the mass produced models, even if you change one little thing.

Dealers just deal. They prefer to just receive the merchandise, then sell it and ship it back out to you. They don't mess with things. If you look carefully, some mass-produced models ARE the same thing with minor differences (different or fixed bridges) but making a personal request takes money and usually a fairly lengthy wait.
I was looking at a custom made ESP, and you could have anything at all that you wanted on it except the quote for mine was $6,300 and an 8 month wait. So having a custom guitar made is very costly and you have to wait a very long time. Although in the end you have exactly what you want. I'm not sure which custom companies are in the UK though.
Looks like I'm going to have to wait until I'm famous until I get a custom guitar built then

I'll have a look and see what I would get quoted.

Realistically, it looks like I'm going to have a look at guitars with whammy already attached. Are there any models to avoid? I'm not going to over £300, which means you have to be careful obviously. And I've had no experience with anything other than Les Pauls; are there are any horrendous models in other guitars around this price range?
Quote by pawnshopguitars
Looks like I'm going to have to wait until I'm famous until I get a custom guitar built then

I'll have a look and see what I would get quoted.

Realistically, it looks like I'm going to have a look at guitars with whammy already attached. Are there any models to avoid? I'm not going to over £300, which means you have to be careful obviously. And I've had no experience with anything other than Les Pauls; are there are any horrendous models in other guitars around this price range?

In that price range, go for something like an Ibanez S series with a ZR trem, like the S470 or the S320.

The problem is that most of the trem equipped in that price range have low quality tems which have the tendency to wear out quickly.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!