My friend who plays bass guitar was watching a Guns N Roses concert DVD with me the other day, and decided he really wants to get Duff's tone. I however am a guitarist, and know Jack Sh*t about getting bass tones. So, can anyone help out?

cheers.

p.s. I would post a vid to show you what I'm on about, but youtube etc. is banned at work where I'm writing this from. I'll post one up later
^^ this but Chorus on ALL songs

And a pick
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Hes endorsed by Gallien Krugar he says he uses 800RBs but prolly 2001RBs theres a video of him discussing it on youtube...lots of mids and mostly positive Fender Ps

Nowa days hes using NEO (NEODIMIUM) (Sp?) Speakers as opposed to the traditional Ceramic Speakers....but they didnt become popular until recently so for GnR prolly wasnt using them....
Last edited by HATe410 at Aug 26, 2008,
Quote by HATe410
Hes endorsed by Gallien Krugar he says he uses 800RBs but prolly 2001RBs theres a video of him discussing it on youtube...lots of mids and mostly positive Fender Ps

Cool. Can you post a link to it? That would be helpful, thanks.
Quote by HATe410

Nowa days hes using NEO (NEODIMIUM) (Sp?) Speakers as opposed to the traditional Ceramic Speakers....but they didnt become popular until recently so for GnR prolly wasnt using them....

i was under the impression he used jazz's, not P's =P well according to my knowledge, in the Appetite era he used Fender Jazz Specials, and nowadays hes fond of Fender Aerodynes. I saw a picture of him onstage with Velvet Revolver in a back issue of Bass Player playing the Aerodyne =D
i think GK and lots of mid, a tiny bit of treble and 3/4 bass thats just a estimet and chorus yeah...i really want that sound but my amp sucks hardcore and im ganna buy a new one soon so =]
Duff used the Jazz Specials, With the PJ Pickup Configure

Is it just me or does anyone else think Duff Mckagan was in mind when the Fender Big Block was made?

Personally I think he'd love that s**t. I'm pretty pissed they are discontinued, they look sexy and probably sound beastly

but back on topic

GK, mids, Low Mids higher than High mids. bit of bass, and treble at about, 9 o clock maybe 10 (ie, 3 or 4)
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
I thought about Duff just yesterday. Was looking at a chess dictionary and ran across this:

"Duffer": A slang term for a very poor player.

LOL

But anyway, I have a GK 1001 and I thought I was pretty close to the old GnR sound without really even trying. I don't have my eq set like that though, I don't have much low mids, I have the high mids cranked and the bass/treble/boost up 2/3 of the way. I usually play it fingerstyle though. Playing it with a pick would probably naturally boost the high mids and not have as much low mids and would require you to compensate, but I'm only guessing.
Quote by HATe410

It's neodymium I think, but as for live tone, won't matter much... anything that is big enough where he's playing at will have him going through the PA system. You're not hearing his little GK 4x12 neo cabinet(s). The bass guitar, any effects, and preamp will have the biggest effect... mostly the preamp.