hey guys, I don't know how many of you are college students, but have you guys tried downloading music (or any other content) by torrent or limwire at your school network?

I go to McGill University, and I want to Torrent some stuff,, but I always hear about American students getting indicted for torrenting music, so I'm kinda scared.

If anyone can give me a general policy for universities, or something specific to Canadian universities, it would really help.

Thanks.
I'm in Ireland, and I think the worst they'll do is block your computer, though they are usually pretty cool about letting you back onto the network if you contact them, but you'll get a little slap on the wrists to not do it again. It's best to do it at evenings or night time, because (in my university anyway) IT don't monitor traffic between 8pm and 7am, so I set to download stuff during those times.
Yeah. Don't do it. They monitor their connections.
Member of the 7-String + ERG Legion.
I know a guy who got a letter from NBC saying that if he did not immediately stop downloading their content from a torrent, legal action would be taken. So I wouldnt use a torrent at a university.

Ive heard of this program that is called Ruckus (i believe) that is similar to limewire but free for anyone with a university email. The only problem is they are in a weird file type that is only played by their media player.
Wasn't there a thread just like this maybe yesterday or a couple of days ago?
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Another thing that went on in my dorm was that everyone but their music in shared folders. That way anyone on the network could copy the music to their own computer.
Torrents and downloading is blocked at my college.
You can use rapidshare though. And get insane download speeds of 1500kbps over there.
Quote by ShinnDaddy
Another thing that went on in my dorm was that everyone but their music in shared folders. That way anyone on the network could copy the music to their own computer.

that is insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

any way you could try getting a friend to download it for you then gaving it 2 u on a hard drive etc...
or u culd ask the it guys
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
Aren't they voiding your privacy by monitoring what you do? What if you're torrent legal stuff like Linux? Most Bittorrent clients have an option somewhere to force the client to use only encrypted connections. Also look up peerguardian en blocklist manager to keep the mp3-police away.
I'm the admin for my dorm, they don't give a crap
piracy is rampant and very very sweet (and might as well be because we don't have a TV and in the apartments where someone does, reception sucks anyway)

its that same in classes, there are a couple of people who come to school only to leech stuff off the school's wifi since their home connections are poop

Quote by n00bje
Aren't they voiding your privacy by monitoring what you do? What if you're torrent legal stuff like Linux? Most Bittorrent clients have an option somewhere to force the client to use only encrypted connections. Also look up peerguardian en blocklist manager to keep the mp3-police away.

their reasoning usually is that its their connection and its supposed to be used for education purposes
that and torrents bog down the network by creating a bunch of connection between all the peers
cant even happen at my uni, it just doesnt download. But you'll still get blocked for trying
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Some universities in the USA I seem to remember were forced to hand over the names of all filesharers. Best save it for the holidays!
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
holy **** thats mad...i downloaded tons of stuff here
My Gear
Ibanez GSZ 120
Aria Pro II SL
Starfire Mega 10
Boss MT-2 Metalzone
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall MG100 DFX